• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saw Gererra’s 1st Appearance
1 1

8 posts in this topic

So full confession : I’m a huge fan of Saw Gererra and think he has a great story to tell relevant to the often ugly bleeding edge of rebellions in general.

Consequently I’ve been struggling with Saw Gererra’s 1st full appearance being listed as Rogue One Adaptation #1. 

I’ll admit my definition of what a cameo and full 1st appearance is evolving the more I read and collect but here goes : 

In #1 of the Rogue One Adaptation Saw is mentioned as an associate of Jyn Erso in the “Rebel’s Report on page one w/a small picture. This section is solely about Jyn. 

Saw is mentioned a few times as a story device to connect the rebels with the pilot that defected. The story teases the objective of finding Saw to reach the pilot but the actual meet-up doesn’t occur until issue #2 when Saw appears in full. This seems like a classic cameo character tease.

Finally, when we do see Saw in the comic it’s in a few panels. He’s recognizable but we only clearly see him from the front in one panel and he has no dialog. This is a flashback and from the perspective of Jyn. 

This is nuanced but nothing here amounts to us learning much about the character and none of what we do learn is from the character themselves. All of that comes from the second issue when we meet Saw in earnest. 

Issue #1 is a first appearance in comics and issue #2 is the first full appearance I believe. Any Star Wars fans with thoughts about whether this has merit or not?  😬

6F6C16AD-353A-4EFC-93B8-433F84B606A7.png

A2B0A185-E90C-4450-9B5E-A6D8F202A04C.png

In the end what you or I think doesn't really matter. The market is decided by the 1st or 2nd Google result that 99% of the collectors/speculators will take as gospel if they plan to invest. I have no really opinion on this, but you're best off making the argument to places like KeyCollector if you feel strongly about #2.

On 1/11/2023 at 7:58 PM, Tnexus said:

In the end what you or I think doesn't really matter. The market is decided by the 1st or 2nd Google result that 99% of the collectors/speculators will take as gospel if they plan to invest. I have no really opinion on this, but you're best off making the argument to places like KeyCollector if you feel strongly about #2.

For sure, I’ve actually made a similar case to KeyCollector recently even though I have both books. As a relatively new collector I was hoping to see how others view these things a bit. The market will decide of course but I find it interesting how and why we form these decisions and based on what criteria? Hopefully some of those that have been around a lot longer aren’t annoyed by this. 🤣

I personally wonder if Saw saw Saw by the sea, if so, then he did see Saw by the Sea shore. :sorry:

On 1/12/2023 at 12:41 AM, godzilla43 said:

Issue 1 seems like kinda solid 1st appearance. Character is in the cover and his name is mentioned in the book plus some panels.

Thanks! I forget that he does appear on the cover too which helps with the case for issue #1. 

Consider Key Collector Comics definition of a cameo versus full appearance “we are defining cameo as a brief appearance - one in which the character is seen as a teaser for a future issue.”

This is exactly what hangs me up on this appearance. 

Does a cover appearance, an extremely brief mention in a different characters bio, a verbal mention as a plot device for a completely different story objective (find the pilot defector), and a very brief appearance in a flashback (with no dialog) remembered with a degree of bias by a different character amount to a full first appearance if all of those elements (none of which can stand alone arguably) ultimately work as a tease for actually meeting the character in issue #2?  

In the end the market decides and we all sorta do a hard shrug but this one may stick with me forever because the parts that may make up a full first appearance also make up a solid case as a tease for the following issue’s appearance. 

*runs off crying* 🤣

Edited by Kramazeek