• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie to Grading and Signature verification on Comics

2 posts in this topic

I collected comics for a few years in the early 90's pretty heavy. I attended a few ComicCons and artist meetings; met and had a few of my comics signed by Joe Quesada. A super awesome dude and a great experience for a 12 year old. I still have quite a few of my comics from those years, some in amazing condition (easily 9.6+), some in good condition (maybe 9.2+). I would like to finally get 6 or seven of them graded by CGC and wondering if they will authenticate the signature as they grade? Since we are talking 1993, I no longer have pictures of Joe signing them with me for provenance. What should I do? I believe a few of the comics I have are fairly rare and valuable with Joe Quesada's signature, specifically Batman No. 500 (Knightfall #19), Ninjak #1-Cromium Cover, and X-O Manowar No. 0 - "Error" with Ivory Valiant Logo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrator

Hello @Scubasteve98312, thank you for contacting CGC Comics. 

If the signing is not witnessed by an authorized CGC witness and directly submitted for grading, then the signature cannot be authenticated for Signature Series. Testimonials, photographs, video recordings, certificates of authenticity and any other proof of signing are not accepted. We're really sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Any items that have already been signed would not qualify for Signature Series label.  In most cases, they would receive a green Qualified label.  This allows the graders to ignore the signature for grading purposes and the book is not downgraded for the writing.  Label Description | CGC (cgccomics.com)

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.