• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - Star Trek #1 (Gold Key)
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hi, I am putting together my first submittal to CGC for grading/cleaning/pressing. I am going through my collection of youth for the best ten comics to submit. Hoping this one shows some promise. Appreciate your grades, comments and thoughts!

Star Trek #1 F 035.jpg

Star Trek #1 B 036.jpg

Star Trek #1 P1 037.jpg

On 1/12/2023 at 10:25 PM, mephistopheles said:

It can be done. Not sure I would trust most pressers to do it though as you can risk damaging the book.

Well I sure don’t want to damage the book. I don’t know of any pressers other than CGC. What they present on their website looks very encouraging so I’ll approach them first. Thanks for the insights!

On 1/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, juniperpt said:

Hi, I am putting together my first submittal to CGC for grading/cleaning/pressing. I am going through my collection of youth for the best ten comics to submit. Hoping this one shows some promise. Appreciate your grades, comments and thoughts!

Star Trek #1 F 035.jpg

Star Trek #1 B 036.jpg

Star Trek #1 P1 037.jpg

In the lower left hand corner there is a stain which I assume takes away from the value. Actually it might be dried glue from my days of building WWII models. Ugh!

A press will improve appearance, but do nothing for grade.

Great book regardless of grade  :luhv:

On 1/12/2023 at 11:08 PM, juniperpt said:

In the lower left hand corner there is a stain which I assume takes away from the value. Actually it might be dried glue from my days of building WWII models. Ugh!

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too.  If it's a stain, a cleaning might actually "remove" it and help improve your overall grade a little.  But if it's glue, well...

And, in addition to the excessive amount of color-breaking spine creases, as well as that spine roll, it looks like there's also some chips out of the open side of the front cover; and possibly the same on the bottom of some of your pages (although they may just actually be creases/bends).  Regardless, I, personally, would absolutely have CCS do a press on it.

My humble guess would be 3.5-4.0.

But, I agree with Beige.  This is a classic cover, and will still look FAR better in some CGC acrylic than it does right now :cool: . 

:wishluck: on your submittal! 

-TRM

Edited by TRMN8R5

On 1/13/2023 at 10:20 AM, TRMN8R5 said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too.  If it's a stain, a cleaning might actually "remove" it and help improve your overall grade a little.  But if it's glue, well...

And, in addition to the excessive amount of color-breaking spine creases, as well as that spine roll, it looks like there's also some chips out of the open side of the front cover; and possibly the same on the bottom of some of your pages (although they may just actually be creases/bends).  Regardless, I, personally, would absolutely have CCS do a press on it.

My humble guess would be 3.5-4.0.

But, I agree with Beige.  This is a classic cover, and will still look FAR better in some CGC acrylic than it does right now :cool: . 

:wishluck: on your submittal! 

-TRM

Thank you for taking your time to evaluate and provide comments.

This issue was well read in its day and it shows in it's appearance. I was a huge ST fan when the show first came out in 1966. So this comic is important to me.

I'm hoping that the stain isn't glue. And I was pretty careful separating comic reading from model building activities. But if it is, it is what it is.

Thanks again! Jp

On 1/12/2023 at 9:48 PM, Bayowolf said:

I've seen a lot higher CGC grades (7.0 and over) with spine roll lately, so not sure that's considered as much as it used to be  . But the spine wear is pretty bad. 4.5

Thanks for your insights and grading!

On 1/12/2023 at 9:40 PM, MAR1979 said:

With a quality pressing perhaps a 4.5.

IMHO ask joeypost

Thanks for grading and good suggestion. joeypost was very helpful with some of my questions regarding my Batman 181.