• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book torn by cgc
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I had posted this in ask CGC originally, but then saw in this topic people having the same issues.  I contacted CS, but was basically told to suck it. It has been a few weeks since I got my book back from the Rose Besch signing, and my book was heavily damaged during the process, including some pressable defects that were not there when I sent it in, and paid for the pressing. There is also a tear on the back cover now. I have photos from before the signing, and there was no tear, or damage where there is now. The signature and remarque are exactly where I cut windows for them, so I cant imagine it was taken out. I just kept getting told that the damage happened in transit, and that was that. It is kind of hard to imagine that somehow a tear like this happened in transit. Even if that were true, the pressable things should of come out during the press. The front damage is kinda hard to photograph, but very noticeable in person. What I assumed was a easy 9.6-9.8 is now an 8.0 due to negligence, and no one cares. I have several more books currently there for both SS and regular grading, and it has really shaken my confidence in CGC.

s-l160 back2.jpg

s-l160sa.jpg

front2.jpg

Front Damage 2.jpg

Front Damage.jpg

Tear1.jpg

Tear2.jpg

Having the before photos help. As long as the declared value covers the total value of book, CGC should give some sort of compensation for the damage.

The 4th and 5th photos, though, clearly show part of the new damage occurred inside the slab - that is the slab itself caused the damage. That problem is the exact, literal problem I have buying new 9.8 graded books, and the case itself cause damage to the book. I've come to think that CGC purposefully allows this damage to occur because it's deemed "insignificant enough" as real damage and encourages books to be resubmitted with a CCS press. There seems to be literally no other reason why the case itself causes damage like this, across the board, to books of every generation. The construction of the inner well, allowing new damage so easily would be laughable if it wasn't so sad how many high grade books are damaged this way. @CGC Mike Do higher-ups have any comment on this? It's undeniably prevalent and occurs on so many books how this hasn't been fixed is baffling.