• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would You Rather Have (1) $30,000 Comic or (300) $100 Comics
8 8

93 posts in this topic

Unless you're rich and it is meant to be a trophy or investment, or perhaps a collector's item, there's no logical reason to buy extremely expensive comics.

At the end of the day, that $300K comic once only costed a few dozen cents at most and was treated as a typical magazine to be read and discarded like any other.

I would take the single 30k comic every time. 

For my PC, I like to include higher value books that my family can sell off if something happens to me. For purposes of selling, the 30k book will likely have a more stable value and worst case scenario would still be 20-25k after fees. Good luck getting 2/3 value out of 300 books at $100 each. 

I know it isnt all about selling, but when you are talking about really big value books that has to be a central part of the equation unless you are very wealthy. I am not. 

On 2/17/2024 at 11:08 AM, Stefan_W said:

I would take the single 30k comic every time. 

For my PC, I like to include higher value books that my family can sell off if something happens to me. For purposes of selling, the 30k book will likely have a more stable value and worst case scenario would still be 20-25k after fees. Good luck getting 2/3 value out of 300 books at $100 each. 

I know it isnt all about selling, but when you are talking about really big value books that has to be a central part of the equation unless you are very wealthy. I am not. 

Opportunity cost. The potential profit to be had from holding said $30K comic indefinitely just to resell in the future would likely be earned tenfold by the time selling it is relevant.

You're forcing yourself to have a cash crunch when that money could be better used elsewhere, such as paying off a mortgage, doing some home reno, taking a vacation, or buying a car.

It's not really investment material unless it's some extremely expensive $100K+ or $1M+ comic.

Edited by stormflora

On 2/17/2024 at 5:12 PM, stormflora said:

Opportunity cost. The potential profit to be had from holding said $30K comic indefinitely just to resell in the future would likely be earned tenfold by the time selling it is relevant.

You're forcing yourself to have a cash crunch when that money could be better used elsewhere, such as paying off a mortgage, doing some home reno, taking a vacation, or buying a car.

It's not really investment material unless it's some extremely expensive $100K+ or $1M+ comic.

For some it seems that comics isnt an investissement for any price... MEN WHAT DO YOU WANT!? 

With 30k you could already buy a really nice car, i remember when my father bought an honda in this price range and had to pay a leasing for hem each months during 5 FREAKING YEARS!... and you would say to me that 30k isnt suffisant to considering the book as an investment?lol

Edited by BA773

On 2/17/2024 at 11:27 AM, BA773 said:

For some it seems that comics isnt an investissement for any price... MEN WHAT DO YOU WANT!? 

With 30k you could already buy a really nice car, i remember when my father bought an honda in this price range and had to pay a leasing for hem each months during 5 FREAKING YEARS!... and you would say to me that 30k isnt suffisant to considering the book as an investment?lol

Everyone sees different value in different things.

It's just that it's easier to buy pricier items without batting an eye when you have a lot of money or plenty of disposable income.

Ideally 3 x $10,000.  I want a smidge of 'diversification' but not the hassle of having to store and unload 300 books if I needed to.

If I have to pick among what you offered...1x $30,000, but it would probably need to be something with relatively good price stability.  A mid to high grade (not highest graded) GA key or classic cover that has ~50-150 books in the census, and decent sales history on GPA.

I could easily pick 300 books with growth potential in the $100 range.  I am confident I could churn them for income and future growth.  At the $ 30,000-a-book level, I don't have enough experience to be confident.  300 raw books are two short boxes in the back of a closet.

I'm also sure dealers will give me better deals if I'm buying 300 books as opposed to one.   

On 1/14/2023 at 6:19 PM, rjpb said:

30 $1000 comics

Bingo. I only collect GA, and $100 doesn't buy much of anything in the GA world. (I have a few $50–$100 GA books that I like just fine, but I wouldn't be able to find 300 books in that price range that I would want.)
You can only spend so much time looking at one book, so buying one $30,000 book wouldn't be much fun, either.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:22 PM, Dr Zen said:

What about 3 $10000 books?

or 10000 $3 books?

or even 3000 $10 books?

3 $10,000 books would be my next choice.