• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware! I have noticed at least 3 accounts that have been hacked
2 2

14 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Just like the title says. 

1 of the accounts is a user that has only 1 post.  (I hid the post)

1 of the accounts is a user that hasn't been active for a long time. 2 posts were made.  (I hid the posts and changed the password on the account)

1 of the accounts is an active user.  

2 more new accounts were from this same spammer.

Please let me know if you see this happening by reporting the post.  That makes it easy for me to find it.  If this happens to your account, send me a PM immediately.  If you can't access your account, you can e-mail me at mgreenwood@cgccomic.com  If your account has been hacked, you may no longer have access to it.  

This is a very serious problem.  The person who was not active for a long time was from NJ. (according to his profile)  The ip address from the spammer that hacked the account was from Russia. 

• Administrator

I have discovered that the poster that is active and joined in 2002 is from NY,  The person that hacked his account is also showing an ip address from Russia.  I have sent him an e-mail, as I am guessing he no longer has access to his forum account.  I have shared all of the information with web help.

Not sure if this is related but I keep seeing weird, low effort engagement bait posts from old accounts (several years) with absolutely no post history. Here's the latest example I've seen:

Doing this kind of thing only makes sense to me if the person running these weird accounts is planning to start spamming or ripping people off.

Edited by Sam T

@CGC Mike, when I connect to cgccomics.com (using chrome browser), I sometimes get these warnings from my security software (BitDefender).  I'll get a few messages when I initially connect, and then it stops.  It's happened a few times recently.

chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to www.angryapecomics.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:59 PM, Sam T said:

Not sure if this is related but I keep seeing weird, low effort engagement bait posts from old accounts (several years) with absolutely no post history. Here's the latest example I've seen:

Doing this kind of thing only makes sense to me if the person running these weird accounts is planning to start spamming or ripping people off.

Seems more newb than nefarious...hm

• Administrator
On 1/27/2023 at 6:37 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

@CGC Mike, when I connect to cgccomics.com (using chrome browser), I sometimes get these warnings from my security software (BitDefender).  I'll get a few messages when I initially connect, and then it stops.  It's happened a few times recently.

chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to www.angryapecomics.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.

Thanks for the heads up.  Let me know if this continues to happen.

On 1/27/2023 at 3:59 PM, Sam T said:

The accounts are old because CGC accounts and CGC boards accounts have been the same thing for years, since the upgrade to Invision. It's people who used CGC but never before bothered with the boards.

That doesn't mean that what you're describing could never happen, but it's at least mostly just newbs. Brilliant newbs with amazing insights. :shiftyeyes:

I frequently receive offers via email from Russia to claim $25,000,000 Rubles, about $3.00 :banana:, all that is required is my bank account information. I keep forgetting to provide that :canofworms:.

On 1/28/2023 at 2:20 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

13 years? Has it really been that long? 

Not sure ... I've been so busy pounding sand that I lost track. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/27/2023 at 6:37 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

To be specific, when I connect to a url with host boards.cgccomics.com (CGC forum) with my Windows PC (I don't see this with my android phone or tablet), I receive 4 messages in quick succession that a connection is being blocked.  When I look in the BitDefender activity log, it shows me 4 instances of the message in my quote.  I only see this when I initially connect to the forum; if I navigate within the forum there are no other messages.