• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossover Grading Question.
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Okay I'll get right into it. I have a CBCS 6.5 Marvel Mystery Comics #34. I would like to get it crossover graded but some people at my LCS say that it is almost impossible to get the same grade. The owner said that they crack it out if they disagree with the grade  even if you do not wish to proceed. 

Anyone on here have first hand knowledge?

Screenshot_20230115_204750_Gallery.jpg

What do you mean 'if you do not wish to proceed'? You don't get given a grade through the plastic and then get the option to get it taken out and put in a CGC case. It gets cracked then sent to grading, where it is assessed as though it were a new book (which it is to them, they've got no idea of its former status). It's entirely possible for it to receive the same grade, I've seen it happen quite a few times. If the grade changes that's just as likely to be good as bad, no? 

I've had 2 crack and resubs from CBCS to CGC.  The first one received the same grade.  The second submission got a half a grade bump down. Take it as it is, but there is absolutely no guarantees your book will grade the same, higher, or lower.  Also a small possibility that it may potentially be graded as restored, trimmed, etc. from CGC.  It's a gamble.

On 1/15/2023 at 8:52 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

Okay I'll get right into it. I have a CBCS 6.5 Marvel Mystery Comics #34. I would like to get it crossover graded but some people at my LCS say that it is almost impossible to get the same grade. The owner said that they crack it out if they disagree with the grade  even if you do not wish to proceed. 

Anyone on here have first hand knowledge?

Screenshot_20230115_204750_Gallery.jpg

How’s the book look in hand?  Do you think it’s a strong or weak 6.5?

I wouldn't be overly concerned about getting the same grade. If it comes back as a CGC 5.5 or 6.0 it's still worth more than a competitor's 6.5, and there's at least a small chance that it comes back a 7.0. It's worth the risk unless it's restored, trimmed or obviously overgraded.

On 1/15/2023 at 8:52 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

The owner said that they crack it out if they disagree with the grade  even if you do not wish to proceed. 

He's wrong, or you misunderstood.  

They crack it out regardless.  They can't grade it in the plastic.

Also, they aren't going to grade it then call you to see if you want to proceed with encapsulation.

I would suggest a grade screen if you're concerned, but for some reason, only at CGC, you have to submit a 25 book minimum.  

Edited by Sigur Ros

The last (and I mean last as in the final also) time I did a crossover, where CGC cracked books from another slab, they did a visual inspection before cracking and emailed saying something like, "After visually inspecting this book we think it will grade (whatever grade, usually lower than what's on the slab you sent).  For $100 (or whatever) we can press the book but there is no guarantee that it will result in a higher grade."  I submitted about a dozen high value books.  About half got this type of response.  I declined all of their pressing because some of those books had been higher grades in CGC slabs prior to them being re-graded by Voldy.  Almost all of them came back lower than Voldy, which means they were 2 grades below what CGC originally graded them.  If it looks like a fish, swims like a fish, and smells fishy... it's probably a scam.

Always crack your own books before resubbing.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:43 AM, Sigur Ros said:

He's wrong, or you misunderstood.  

They crack it out regardless.  They can't grade it in the plastic.

Also, they aren't going to grade it then call you to see if you want to proceed with encapsulation.

I would suggest a grade screen if you're concerned, but for some reason, only at CGC, you have to submit a 25 book minimum.  

Just trying to figure out where you seen You have to submit a 25 book minimum 

As far as I know you can send in 1 book at a time if you so wish to do so.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:21 AM, topcat54 said:

Just trying to figure out where you seen You have to submit a 25 book minimum 

As far as I know you can send in 1 book at a time if you so wish to do so.

Not for pre-screen.

That'll change sometime.  They are slowly adding more and more features taken from the competition

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 1/16/2023 at 8:42 AM, mtracy64 said:
On 1/16/2023 at 7:01 AM, Stronguy said:

Always crack your own books before resubbing.

Yes, this. 

Unless they're signature series, I repeat, do not crack your own signature series books (thumbsu 

Like others, have had mixed results with crossover grading about 10 books.

Half stayed the same grade, half were one step lower. None went higher. Think the PQ changed on at least a third of them as well.

Good luck!

-bc