• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why was CGC not able to slab this comic?

7 posts in this topic

I checked the census prior to submitting this comic calendar.  There was a low grade copy previously graded and slabbed.  In addition, the comic shows on the submission drop down menu.

When I submitted my copy, it was rejected with a sticker reading "too tall/wide/thick."   The 1946 Comic Calendar is as tall and wide as a standard Golden Age comic. It is about the same thickness as titles like Gift Comics and early squarebound comics like World's Best.

Why was my book rejected when there has been a copy previously graded and slabbed?

Title The 1946 Comics Calendar
Issue No. nn
Issue Date 1945
Year 1945
Publisher True Comics Press
Country  
Key Comments Manufactured with hole, through bottom edge.
Art Comments

Sam Glankoff cover

calendar.jpg.d78dfaaa83c4e45099900fcfbba416b8.jpg

• Administrator

Hello! Books are evaluated on a case-by-base bases and we will never force a book into a holder in case it may damage the books. Unfortunately, the notes that I have read are the same as what has been provided to you, and it was too large to fit in our slabs at this time. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. Thank you. 

Thank you for your reply. However, the answer doesn't seem to make sense. One copy of this comic has been graded and encapsulated in the past. The size of the comic hasn't changed since 1946. I don't think CGC slabs have become smaller.

I placed the comic in an empty slab that I have from a Golden Age comic. Scans are below. As you can see, even in a bag with a board, the comic is not too tall nor too wide to fit in the slab. Even with a bag and board, it doesn't seem too thick to be slabbed. Again, I am puzzled as to why a previous copy of the comic fit in a slab and this copy was rejected. And if CGC will not grade this comic, why is it in the drop down menu on the submission page?

1945625665_1946comicscalendar002.thumb.jpg.92f274aba57d194e87391af37c83c840.jpg

1123143970_1946comiccalendaredgeview001.thumb.jpg.dd35cd7986e540e045b2e6175608bfc8.jpg

On 1/17/2023 at 8:20 AM, CrystalM CS said:

Hello! Books are evaluated on a case-by-base bases and we will never force a book into a holder in case it may damage the books. Unfortunately, the notes that I have read are the same as what has been provided to you, and it was too large to fit in our slabs at this time. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. Thank you. 

Edited by walclark

On 1/18/2023 at 10:48 AM, Chicago Joe said:

You're not alone on CGC screwing people over lately. Out of 15 books I have submitted, 5 of them are coming back as 9.0 or lower for "light spine stress" or "light stress to cover"...

...I think CGC is starting to scam people out of their money.

How does CGC grading books lower than expected scam people?

On 1/18/2023 at 9:59 PM, Topnotchman said:

So there likely is a slight variance from book to book. 

Myself, I wouldn't say likely. It very well may be a slight variance between books. It also could be a variance between graders...no matter what CGC says, this is a distinct possibility.