• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voting booth for the Best of 2022 two days left to vote

78 posts in this topic

I just finished my votes up today. Congrats to everyone for picking up so many great pieces, presenting me with hard choices to vote for just 5 per category.

Thanks to Brian and Bill for putting this together! It’s something I look forward to each year.

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 1/22/2023 at 4:11 PM, Brian Peck said:

Some people even vote for their own artwork. Which I will talk to Bill about fixing.

So you're saying some Buscema die-hard trades half his collection for a great Silver Surfer #4 page and has to vote 5 lesser things in ahead of it in that category?

doh!

(Disclaimer: I voted for both of my submissions... because I love them)

On 1/29/2023 at 8:00 PM, J.Sid said:

So you're saying some Buscema die-hard trades half his collection for a great Silver Surfer #4 page and has to vote 5 lesser things in ahead of it in that category?

doh!

(Disclaimer: I voted for both of my submissions... because I love them)

We already know what your 5 favorites of the year, the voting if for you to pick which pieces other submitted you fell are your favorites that you may want to own.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:00 PM, J.Sid said:

This. If it's one of the 5 best (in your opinion) you should be able to vote for it. As I said, we let the people running for President of the United States vote for themselves. 

On 1/29/2023 at 11:52 PM, Brian Peck said:

We already know what your 5 favorites of the year, the voting if for you to pick which pieces other submitted you fell are your favorites that you may want to own.

Since when? I thought the idea was to vote for your favorite 5 pieces acquired (by anyone) in the past calendar year (and which were posted to CAF)? So, if I acquire a Frazetta Conan book cover painting, I wouldn't be allowed to vote for it? I'd have to vote for a Boris Vallejo vulgarity, or something, instead just because I own the Frazetta? I thought it was a contest to help promote CAF?

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 1/30/2023 at 1:17 PM, Twanj said:

It would be easy to filter out your own art, so I assume the ones running the voting want to leave that ability in.

No, I didn't vote for my own.

Well based on Brian's earlier post that he will speak to Bill about fixing it, I'm guessing they didn't want people to vote for their own submissions but assumed people naturally wouldn't try to anyway and so they didn't implement anything to prevent it. 

I didn't vote for any of my own art either, just seemed tacky to me. 

On 1/30/2023 at 6:26 PM, JC25427N said:

Well based on Brian's earlier post that he will speak to Bill about fixing it, I'm guessing they didn't want people to vote for their own submissions but assumed people naturally wouldn't try to anyway and so they didn't implement anything to prevent it. 

I'm now waiting for someone to try and justify shilling their own auctions!  :bigsmile:

On 1/30/2023 at 12:26 PM, JC25427N said:

Yeah, I never vote for my own submissions either.  I obviously already believe my collection is great because I forked over my hard-earned money to purchase it.  This is just an annual fun little exercise to see if anyone else agrees with me (of which I know that very few people will).

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

Kinda surprised that I'm the only one here who has actually listed the stuff I voted for (none of my own, I hasten to add . . . I play fair)? 

What did others vote for . . . I'm curious . . . let's compare notes?

Don't be shy . . . even if your own art features heavily in what made the 'final cut' in your own voting choices that guarantees you at least five votes!. . . :baiting:

Edited by The Voord

On 1/30/2023 at 7:38 PM, The Voord said:

Kinda surprised that I'm the only one here who has actually listed the stuff I voted for (none of my own, I hasten to add . . . I play fair)? 

What did others vote for . . . I'm curious . . . let's compare notes?

Don't be shy . . . even if your own art features heavily in what made the 'final cut' in your own voting choices that guarantees you at least five votes!. . . :baiting:

image.thumb.png.30787fff36c9ef9ac8c6db76002cb138.pngimage.thumb.png.5c357bcda8960bbdd0b270edaca662db.pngimage.thumb.png.4d38dbd0ff3ded600ad324db58220ddb.pngimage.thumb.png.5afc8633f0e9dbf10a7eb8892d5d2a19.png