• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Men 11 CGC 2.0 Reduced aka the Why Nobody Buy My Book thread.
1 1

15 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2023 at 8:24 AM, Courageous Cat said:

well dang, he's only had it a month :ohnoez:

Allow me to explain. I won this and also the not cgc 3.0 Mystery Men #10 on the Fox auction. I really only wanted the #10. It's at cgc right now for a re-grade. I was surprised I won the 11 because I thought it would go higher.  I really don't need both so here it is available for all. Selling for pretty much what I paid for it. 

Why nobody buy my book? :violin:

Edited by Professor K
price lowered

Price Reduced to 1,325.00. Still No Paypal. 

Why nobody buy my book? ??? 

Is it the No Paypal part? Do people need paypal to buy comics even here on the board? 

If so is it for security reasons or the convenience of not having to mail a letter? 

At this point this is just an Data Gathering thread. Any input is helpful. 

So, Why nobody buy my book? :shiftyeyes:

Edited by Professor K

On 1/24/2023 at 3:25 AM, Professor K said:

At this point this is just an Data Gathering thread. Any input is helpful. 

So, Why nobody buy my book? :shiftyeyes:

Since you seem to be genuinely interested in feedback, I would say that the "SLIGHTLY BRITTLE" pages are the reason.

I have no problem paying by check or money order when I buy a book—in fact, I prefer it because I don't use PayPal often enough to remember that process (or even how to log in).

However, "Slightly Brittle" pages are an absolute deal breaker for me and for many other collectors as well. I would never consider a book with slightly brittle pages for any price. I might consider cream-to-off-white* pages for a very scarce book if the price was right. But slightly-brittle pages? Never.

Not every collector cares about page quality, so I do think that the book would sell through a venue that put more eyes on it than the CGC boards. I have no idea what it might sell for, but I would expect it to sell at a significant discount versus a book with cream-to-off-white pages.

You could try My Comic Shop if you're not comfortable with the no-reserve auction format. They cross-list everything on eBay (at a slightly higher price in order to cover the fees).

*"What about light-tan-to-off-white?" you ask? It would have to be an extremely rare, highly desirable book with known pages quality issues, such as Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1—in fact that's the only book I can think of off the top of my head that I might consider buying with light-tan-to-off-white pages.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/25/2023 at 8:00 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Since you seem to be genuinely interested in feedback, I would say that the "SLIGHTLY BRITTLE" pages are the reason.

I have no problem paying by check or money order when I buy a book—in fact, I prefer it because I don't use PayPal often enough to remember that process (or even how to log in).

However, "Slightly Brittle" pages are an absolute deal breaker for me and for many other collectors as well. I would never consider a book with slightly brittle pages for any price. I might consider cream-to-off-white* pages for a very scarce book if the price was right. But slightly-brittle pages? Never.

Not every collector cares about page quality, so I do think that the book would sell through a venue that put more eyes on it than the CGC boards. I have no idea what it might sell for, but I would expect it to sell at a significant discount versus a book with cream-to-off-white pages.

You could try My Comic Shop if you're not comfortable with the no-reserve auction format. They cross-list everything on eBay (at a slightly higher price in order to cover the fees).

*"What about light-tan-to-off-white?" you ask? It would have to be an extremely rare, highly desirable book with known pages quality issues, such as Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1—in fact that's the only book I can think of off the top of my head that I might consider buying with light-tan-to-off-white pages.)

Thank you for that jimbo. I think you're right. I thought it might be the paypal thing. They just take too much for transfering funds in my opinion.  "in defense" for lack of a better term even though it is slightly brittle the cover looks pretty darn good. Colors are real strong and bright. Plus there are only 12 of them and I see only 8 sales of this issue in the past 13 years. 

I'll probably put it on th CL exchange and if it doesn't sell I'll send it back to HA in a couple months. No biggie, thanks again (thumbsu

Edited by Professor K

On 1/25/2023 at 8:00 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I agree otherwise I imagine it would be long gone

Maybe it would help to share the grader notes?  

cover detached bottom staple
light spine stress lines to cover
moderate creasing to cover
split left bottom of spine
split left top of spine

I find the "slightly brittle" designation extremely vague, and this needs work somehow at CGC.  I've never understood how a book can come back with "tan to off white pages" with some basically brown paper that is oxidized and on another book you get a few pages separating at the spine and the rest of the book can be cream or even better and it gets nailed with "slightly brittle".  Sure, if there are flakes in the holder, it is bad.  But paper that is creased at the fold of the spine and read many times can start to separate.  That doesn't make the whole book brittle.  Either that or they need to do a much better job describing what exactly is slightly brittle on the book.  Now if they open the book to grade and the pages split more, than it would be warranted.  But who can tell?  And then what about the cover, it can have a brittle overhanging edge and the interior can be ow/w.  The book is fine if you are careful.  And if the trend above continues with many GA books getting that sb label, people will just stop grading them.  As this book looks really nice, I'd bet it would've had solid offers raw.  Good luck with it.  

On 1/25/2023 at 10:44 PM, ThatNerdyCanuck said:

Something weird is going on at CGC as I have seen a MASSIVE uptick in Golden Age books getting "slightly brittle" pages. It's all been in the last few months as well. Really bizarre. Seen a few subs, their entire submission came back slightly brittle.

That is not good. I just sent  the cbcs 3.0 Mystery Men 10 Cream to off White to CGC on the 15 day tier. If it comes back SB I will be devastated, well at least pretty bummed. Funny because with Silver books White pages are much more common these days from what I see. Thanks for sharing that observation.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:34 AM, mwotka said:

Maybe it would help to share the grader notes?  

cover detached bottom staple
light spine stress lines to cover
moderate creasing to cover
split left bottom of spine
split left top of spine

I find the "slightly brittle" designation extremely vague, and this needs work somehow at CGC.  I've never understood how a book can come back with "tan to off white pages" with some basically brown paper that is oxidized and on another book you get a few pages separating at the spine and the rest of the book can be cream or even better and it gets nailed with "slightly brittle".  Sure, if there are flakes in the holder, it is bad.  But paper that is creased at the fold of the spine and read many times can start to separate.  That doesn't make the whole book brittle.  Either that or they need to do a much better job describing what exactly is slightly brittle on the book.  Now if they open the book to grade and the pages split more, than it would be warranted.  But who can tell?  And then what about the cover, it can have a brittle overhanging edge and the interior can be ow/w.  The book is fine if you are careful.  And if the trend above continues with many GA books getting that sb label, people will just stop grading them.  As this book looks really nice, I'd bet it would've had solid offers raw.  Good luck with it.  

Good insight.  And I should have included the notes, didn't think of it. It's not a ton of money so no big deal if I just keep it for a while. I would still sell for at least what I paid for it. Cheap early Fox, Blue Beetle, Joe Simon , Green Asian villains. Good post, thanks.

Edited by Professor K

Not accepting Paypal and not shipping outside of USA / Canada doesn't help either.

Shame, as it's a nice book - plenty of UK, Aus, NZ , European buyers out there for books like this.

I looked at the high res scans of this one and it looks like the brittle paper is on only the bottom edge. What’s visible of the paper on the right edge does not look brittle at all. If that is the case, this should have been (and should be point forward) something addressed in the notes. Something along the lines of “outer edge bottom brittle, remainder of book cream/ow”. That would help potential buyers make a more informed decision. The reds on this cover are absolutely beautiful!

--for me I am not looking to spend  1000 on a comic unless I feel I can flip it quickly and make a decent profit..I think the pg  problem is the biggest turn off..The couple times I got a comic back with that problem, I broke them out and sold them raw with good pics of what may have led to that note...The paypal issue doesn't bother me as I don't accept it for anything over 500 myself.. What amazes me are the people stating paypal only on their threads...