• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seven Seas 4 or 6 Which Do You Prefer?
4 4

102 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2023 at 7:00 AM, ThothAmon said:

The GGA on both covers is first rate but the cleft lip on the shark always throws me. For that reason I prefer # 6. Anyone disagree? The 4 depicted just sold for over $25k at HA and the 6 is in my collection.

Pretty sure that #4 hasn't sold yet.  Its up over 30k with a few weeks left in the auction.  

On 1/20/2023 at 7:10 AM, Jayman said:

#6 by a mile! Great action pose and nice composition with the waterfall over the ship. The 4 just has a clumsy pose that looks odd to me. Regardless of the shark.

That's interesting because I see the complete opposite when I look at both.  #4 looks much more realistic, her pose looks perfect like she's just jumped down but has some upward pressure pushing her body and hair up from the water.  #6 the left arm is off, and her entire position and body isnt really as tense as it should be if she was holding all that weight.  She's holding it like Superman would...just never looked right to me.

On 1/20/2023 at 9:10 AM, Jayman said:

#6 by a mile! Great action pose and nice composition with the waterfall over the ship. The 4 just has a clumsy pose that looks odd to me. Regardless of the shark.

but...there's a shark! :grin:

I imagine Baker was trying to convey a sense of weightlessness in the water and pulled it off imho

I like the colors more than Baker's work on these.  His early work doesn't do very much for me, but there are some exceptions.

#6 has the better color spread.  2c