• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

here's my G.A subby 11 and 14 (second try) help me !!

15 posts in this topic

Page quality is needed because if they were brittle, even in these low grades, it would lower it more. Based on the page that is scanned they do appear to be getting just slightly brittle. The bottom chipping is common for books like that.

I'd say 2.0 and 2.0, the splitting really kills the 14. It appears to be split about 2" at bottom, plus near the middle. I had to deduct points for the two restaple holes as well. The lack of creases was nice to see though.

I agree that page quality matters even in low grade. I would probably call an otherwise 2.0 GA book a 2.5 if it has off-white to white pages, conversely an otherwise 3.0 book is likely to get a 2.5 from me for seriously tanned pages. Not that a .5 grade difference means a whole lot to the price in these grades.

The lack of creases, chunks out of cover, writing on FC, or notable soiling are what led me to give these two books a 2.5. If the spine on the #14 is fragile, and in danger of seperating in two, I would downgrade.

spines are solid , no danger of separating, the problem for me with 14 .there is only one staple in center spine , but we can see that two staples were out of the cover, i know that in ww 2 ,it was common that comics were sold with only one staple but this one i don't know , i really think that somebody take out originals staples , glued spine and ad center staple ? or maybe somebody ad two other staples then they was take out and center staple stay i don't know ,i really don't know, what do you think of that ?

My guess is that at some point somebody added two staples, especially if the cover was detached from the original staple - then later someone else felt that glue at the original staple was less obtrusive, and pulled out the added staples.

The main thing to keep in mind for staples and staple holes is where they are placed on the spine. Note the two sets of staple holes are not where the back cover and front cover meet. With these saddle-stitched books it is very hard to come across any that are not lined up on the seam like your middle staple. I would say in fact 99 per cent of GA books will have their staple holes on the seam. So the middle staple is the original.