• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Lampoon "Grade Question" on Sept 1979 issue.
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Recently bought 2 copies of this issue because it contains John Hughes original short "Vacation 58" story which inspired the Vacation movies.  This book is in great shape and should clean up nicely.  My question is the mailing lable?  Do the pressing/cleaning companies remove these?  Is it even possible to remove them?  If not how much would it affect the grade.  The label is suprisingly clean.  (The other stickers are on the bag)  Only one other on the consensus:  https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=National+Lampoon&publisher=National+Lampoon&issue=114&year=1979&issuedate=9%2F79

20230126_104048.jpg

Edited by EMazman
Correction.

First, I must state my controversial opinions that Chevy Chase is not funny & Christmas Vacation is a terrible movie. I won't be taking questions.

You should take it out of the bag and photograph the front and back to receive a grade. Removing a label is risky depending on the adhesive. It could come off cleanly (using a hairdryer) or it could result in an ink lift/tape pull, which would be worse. Should defer to someone experienced who has the book in-hand. Absolute ceiling with the label is 8.0, but a real grade requires the bagless photos 

On 1/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, scburdet said:

First, I must state my controversial opinions that Chevy Chase is not funny & Christmas Vacation is a terrible movie. I won't be taking questions.

You should take it out of the bag and photograph the front and back to receive a grade. Removing a label is risky depending on the adhesive. It could come off cleanly (using a hairdryer) or it could result in an ink lift/tape pull, which would be worse. Should defer to someone experienced who has the book in-hand. Absolute ceiling with the label is 8.0, but a real grade requires the bagless photos 

Christmas Vacation was not terrible but it wasn't great.  My favorite is Vegas Vacation because it's so ridiculously stupid funny.  European is the worst.  You're just upset because he's Chevy Chase and you're not. lol  I'll update pics later but was more wondering about affect of the label on the grade.  Now if it was Chevy Chase's mailling label that would only be a 7.0 to you right? :P

On 1/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, scburdet said:

Took some more photos.  I know it'll clean up really nice but now I see the cover separation at the bottom corner by UPC code. That dark spot on the back cover is raised dirt or something. Should come off.  I doubt this is close to an 8.0 though now.  Let me know what you think.  I'll probably wait for the 2nd issue to come in the mail and just send the one that presents the best in to CGC.  I just want the nicest one graded. There's not many of these out there.  

20230126_112004.jpg

20230126_112013.jpg

20230126_112008.jpg

20230126_112000.jpg

20230126_112015.jpg

20230126_112036.jpg

20230126_112043.jpg

20230126_112032.jpg

20230126_112101.jpg

For a comic, a small spine split (1/8") brings the limit to 9.4. Beyond that, the documentation for how much splitting leads to how much of a deduction in comics is vague (1.8–9.4 is what the book says), let alone magazines. It looks like about a 1" spine split at the bottom & maybe a little at the top. If this was the only condition issue, I could see 6.0–7.0 being the upper limit. However, even ignoring the label, there are other issues, esp on the back. There's a long ?crease? that breaks color on the back cover for example, and the white areas of the front are slightly soiled. If an experienced C/P person worked on this, I might be persuaded it could get to a 5.0, where a comic with similar issues would be 1–2 grades lower (4.0/4.5).

FWIW, I did a quick search to see what the market looks like for this magazine (since I am just learning about it). mycomicshop.com has a FN (6.0) copy for $15. They're pretty strict graders. If I was going to pick a copy to send to CGC, I would take a $15 flyer to see if this copy is better. I didn't find any others, although I did not spend a lot of time searching.

image.thumb.png.c1f2477373735a172ed4b2acc193a853.png

On 1/26/2023 at 12:44 PM, scburdet said:

FWIW, I did a quick search to see what the market looks like for this magazine (since I am just learning about it). mycomicshop.com has a FN (6.0) copy for $15. They're pretty strict graders. If I was going to pick a copy to send to CGC, I would take a $15 flyer to see if this copy is better. I didn't find any others, although I did not spend a lot of time searching.

Thanks, and thanks everyone.  I have another copy coming in.  If that one is better I'll send that one to CGC and use this to read.  I'll take a look at that other one.  I had this book as a kid and read it so many times.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:44 PM, scburdet said:

Actually I just realized I already saw this one there.  Unfortunately they don't provide many pics. Is that even the pic of the book or a "stock pic".  There's no way to ask anyone on there I can find. :/ 

I've used MCS for years. If they say it's a 6.0, it's at least a 6.0. I've received books that were undergraded IMO several times. It probably pays for them to be conservative with grades and not have a bunch or returns from unsatisfied customers. Not a paid endorsement, just my experience. On the other hand, I believe they overprice a lot of merchandise to compensate, so I usually don't find a lot of key issues at prices that I'm willing to pay. That's not an issue (no pun intended) here.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:44 PM, EMazman said:

Recently bought 2 copies of this issue because it contains John Hughes original short "College Vacation" story which inspired the Vacation movies.

Just to be pedantic (and because it recently came up on the "Comic Magazines" board), the story is actually called "Vacation '58."

Carry on...

On 1/26/2023 at 3:42 PM, Axe Elf said:

Just to be pedantic (and because it recently came up on the "Comic Magazines" board), the story is actually called "Vacation '58."

Carry on...

Why the hell did I write College Vacation? Someone help me. 

Finally got the second copy in and it's freaking beautiful.  It's looks almost perfect...better than the pictures showed.  Having THIS ONE sent in for sure.  I don't even want to take it out of the bag till it's pressed and cleaned and sent to CGC.  I'll keep the 1st one as a reader. 

20230214_111038.jpg