• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Comics #1 Recil Macon Pedigree

7 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2023 at 4:53 PM, mem72 said:

You get giddy mixed with nostalgia and even some tears are shed when you realize the latest find is that much sweeter and more personal to you.

The "ink mark" on the cover that would turn most off turned out to be a homemade stamp or possibly personalized art work that my dad, Recil Macon, placed on this book.

Once I realized that he added this ink along with that wonderful signature to the cover of this book it became priceless to me.  81 years ago and time stands still. 

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed.jpg

So I read the website, and see that you are here. Can you help with what happened to start selling the collection? There was talk of some books being stolen and of a son selling some. I don't know your sibling situation but it would be a real treat to hear more. Assuming you are the particular son that is mentioned, that is...

I'm happy you were able to get this book and wish you good luck finding more. While not a pedigree, I have my dad's childhood comics and they, too, are a priceless treasure.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:53 PM, mem72 said:

The "ink mark" on the cover that would turn most off turned out to be a homemade stamp or possibly personalized art work that my dad, Recil Macon, placed on this book.

Congrats on being able to bring the book back home to its long lost family where it belongs.  :applause:

Any idea if the trimming was done by your Dad or was it done by the subsequent owner who ended up buying this book from your Dad's collection?  ???

On 1/26/2023 at 7:08 PM, PeterPark said:

So I read the website, and see that you are here. Can you help with what happened to start selling the collection? There was talk of some books being stolen and of a son selling some. I don't know your sibling situation but it would be a real treat to hear more. Assuming you are the particular son that is mentioned, that is...

I'm happy you were able to get this book and wish you good luck finding more. While not a pedigree, I have my dad's childhood comics and they, too, are a priceless treasure.

I saw some in Abilene before he sold the collection so I think that's why he personalized them the way that he did. He'd mentioned a few times that he'd loaned 'em out and never got them back.

I didn't sell them. He did.  It was right before he retired so I can only speculate that he wanted that sale kept under wraps so it

didn't affect his social security.