• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-men Heroes For Hope... Where is all the art???
2 2

10 posts in this topic

When I was a boy back in 85... I got my hands on a copy of Heroes for Hope with the X-men. I was already a growing x-fan  but that book was kind of mind  blowing. The art adams cover was always the reason I thought it stuck so much. But as I got older I realized it is actually because it was my first exposure to so many great artists of the time. If you do not remember the book... it was a fundraiser , and a jam book... each artist writer and inker did only a couple of pages. The list of people who worked on it is incredible (see below) ! I have actually carried a copy around for years getting creators to sign it.  Since I now collect original art I have wondered for a while where all the art for this book is??? I searched CAF and there are only 2 pages shown... and even on the HA archives there is only one for sure .. and some pencil only Frank Miller pages, which I am not sue why they were not inked. So where is all the art for this incredible book????

SPOILER- I was able to pick up a page recently and I will show it and tell the story on how it came about in a post in a bit.. but right now I would love to see what you may have or hear the theories from the people who have been doing this a lot longer then me! 

image.thumb.png.187e1adf96c7ffabc71009214112ea10.png

On 1/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, Brian Peck said:

Years ago I asked Mike Kaluta about his contribution to it, he still had the page but I never followed up about it. He still may have the artwork.

Hi Brian

Good Info! I always find it interesting that these guys still have random pages 3 plus decades later! That's where mine is coming from too,

Edited by Unstoppablejayd

On 1/27/2023 at 5:30 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Hahhaha- ok… I can’t wait to show it. Pg 3 John Buscema and Klaus Janson. Written by Stan Lee.

story time… I had to go pick up something I had bought from Essential Sequential. Jason and I are friends so we were Bsing and Klaus had just sent him a ton of pages for him to archive and possibly sell. So he let me start thumbing through them. There was probably 1000 pages… so I’m going through stuff from the 70s until now in no order whatsoever…. And there it was! A couple messages back and forth with Klaus and we made a deal! 

That's awesome!

Kind of a prototype for Buscema's Wolverine run.

On 1/27/2023 at 5:39 PM, Twanj said:

That's awesome!

Kind of a prototype for Buscema's Wolverine run.

Yea- pre dates it. From what I have researched I’m pretty sure it is the second time he drew a published wolverine. Only thing I can find earlier was a couple panels in costume in the 1st issue of the magic mini series 

I was kind of hoping more of these might come out of the woodwork. The amount of artwork floating around in the unknown fascinates me. I don't expect every single page to be cataloged, but I do wonder where a lot of work (especially in the 70's and 80's) ended up. Private collections? Publisher archives? Destroyed on accident? The mystery of where things may or may not be is always interesting to hear.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:21 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I was kind of hoping more of these might come out of the woodwork. The amount of artwork floating around in the unknown fascinates me. I don't expect every single page to be cataloged, but I do wonder where a lot of work (especially in the 70's and 80's) ended up. Private collections? Publisher archives? Destroyed on accident? The mystery of where things may or may not be is always interesting to hear.

Definitely an interesting topic over all… but this one to me is even more so… as there were 50 or so artists involved and a good amount were known for selling there art..