• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - Our Army at War #87
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Probably my favorite comic subject as a kid were the war comics. ACG, Charlton, DC, Dell, etc. Heavy influenced by my older brother Chris, he had a slew of DC war comics that over the years have been lost to the ages, with the exception of this one and a few others.

I may submit this one to CGC simply because of its memory of my late brother.

Thanks in advance for your comments and grades.

OAAW #87 F  066.jpg

OAAW #87 B  067.jpg

On 1/27/2023 at 2:45 PM, scburdet said:

2.5/3.0 Important to know if the staples are attached. The tearing at the staples looks significant.

Thanks for pointing that out. Here's a scan i just made. The book is fragile, but it looks like the staples are attached. Thanks!

OAAW #87 inside page 113.jpg

On 1/27/2023 at 2:50 PM, thehumantorch said:

2.0 - 2.5.  It would look wonderful in a CGC case on a shelf honoring your brother.

Thanks. I was thinking the same.

He also has Our Army at War #86, but he drew a blue mustache on the tank commander, and added some blue color to the bullet debris. Why? I have no idea. Ha!

On 1/27/2023 at 4:03 PM, ThothAmon said:

I think with a great pedigree like that CGC should note “From the Collection of Chris” on the label. 2.5 seems reasonable as I had this one graded and it looks a smidge nicer. 

0F348D0C-2BA7-4539-8B16-F229F1FD51B1.jpeg

Thank you for your comments and grade.

I am really new at this so please bear with me.

Regarding your comment about CGC adding a note to the label, is this something they would normally do if requested?

And what makes a comic a pedigree? is it age of comic, length of ownership of comic or something else? I have a few other comics from my brother's collection from the 1950s. I am wondering if they also would be considered pedigree. Thanks!

On 1/28/2023 at 2:09 AM, grebal said:

2.0, maybe 2.5.

I'd suggest just getting a 'top loader' rather than entombing it. Easier, much cheaper, stays in your hands w/no chance it gets lost or damaged further, etc.

Thank you for grading. As you can probaly tell, I am new at this so please bear with me. What is a "top loader" and where does one purchase one? From CGC? Sounds like a interesting option.Thanks!

On 1/28/2023 at 11:14 AM, grebal said:

^ since point is probably to predict what cgc might give it, I'd agree w/what grendelbo and 50's war comics said: that good chance it ends inside a 3.0 case.  So ignore the G/G+ guesstimate.

Will do. Thanks for the follow up!

On 1/30/2023 at 3:09 PM, juniperpt said:

Thank you for grading. As you can probaly tell, I am new at this so please bear with me. What is a "top loader" and where does one purchase one? From CGC? Sounds like a interesting option.Thanks!

Happy to share - the "top loaders" are reusable protection (nothing as permanent nor as secure as slabs, to be clear) made of heavy plastic, and you slide your comic (including the bag/board) into the top, and it affords some extra protection.

Here's a pic (one empty, the other with the GR reprint of JIM 83):

362702542_IMG_06221.thumb.JPG.d074ce620f794664349d55e5fb171aa6.JPG

Try searching for "comic book toploader," that should find what's available; I've never bought them, just received them on occasion with my purchases.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:24 PM, grebal said:

Happy to share - the "top loaders" are reusable protection (nothing as permanent nor as secure as slabs, to be clear) made of heavy plastic, and you slide your comic (including the bag/board) into the top, and it affords some extra protection.

Here's a pic (one empty, the other with the GR reprint of JIM 83):

362702542_IMG_06221.thumb.JPG.d074ce620f794664349d55e5fb171aa6.JPG

Try searching for "comic book toploader," that should find what's available; I've never bought them, just received them on occasion with my purchases.

Looks great! Thanks for the photo and I'll check them out.