• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Shooter has my Secret Wars #8 copy and is supposed to send it to me. Has anyone else had this kind of experience? I have been trying to get into contact with him to no avail
2 2

43 posts in this topic

Hello, as the title states, I have not been able to get in contact with Shooter about a book (Secret Wars #8) that I paid for him to do a sketch and signature on. I paid and gave him the book at the Charleston Con SC in December of 2021. Shooter said that he would not be able to do the head sketch at the convention due to time restraints and I was uncertain about letting him take it with him but I was assured that he will take care of the book and make sure it is delivered safely to me. I have reached out to his representative from the convention who did the transaction and he replied initially but has left me without any response for over a year now and I have no way of getting into contact with Mr. Shooter.. My Secret Wars #8 copy had 2 signatures and head sketches (John Beatty & Mike Zeck) and it was a qualified CGC 9.0. I cracked the comic out of the case for shooter to sign and sketch and I have receipts and pictures of the comic. This is the very first book that I ever got for Christmas in 2007 as a 10 year old kid and had both Beatty and Zeck sketch it and I cracked it out of the case for Jim Shooter to sign & sketch. This book has very sentinmental value to me and if anyone could give any advice I would be extremely grateful. Below I will post pictures of emails between me and Shooters rep (Shawn Fritz) as well as pictures of me and Shooter at the convention as well as a picture of the book in question and a picture the "head sketch" that I chose directly from Jim's sketchbook at the convention. I have sent well over 10 emails to Shawn Fritz with no response.. 

IMG_7932.jpeg

IMG_7933.jpeg

IMG_7934.jpeg

IMG_7936.jpeg

IMG_7939.jpeg

IMG_7940.jpeg

IMG_7941.jpeg

IMG_7965.jpeg

On 1/28/2023 at 8:57 PM, DougC said:

Sounds like someone needs to contact Steranko to slap some sense into Shooter.

he would do it, but I don't think he could reach

Shooter could likely pick up Steranko by the head with one hand!

in this case the outsized talent and outsized charisma comes in a tiny package

On 1/28/2023 at 9:35 PM, Bird said:

I dunno about that.  I saw Shooter at Terrificon on Aug 2022 and he needed two canes to walk

Honestly I would research if any of his kids have social media try to politely reach out to them.

On 1/28/2023 at 7:03 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I dunno about that.  I saw Shooter at Terrificon on Aug 2022 and he needed two canes to walk

Sad to say, but from that con photo of him, it certainly appears that time and age has caught up to him like it will to all of us here.  :(

Best of luck to the OP in getting his signed and sketched book back.  :wishluck:

On 1/29/2023 at 7:29 AM, Bird said:

Steranko's under 100 lbs fo sure!

I saw him at NYCC in 2008 and man, he looked great. We all age, of course - but you've lived a good life if you're in your 70's with a full head of hair, wearing a suit at a comic convention and sporting a b*tchln' tan.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:54 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I saw him at NYCC in 2008 and man, he looked great. We all age, of course - but you've lived a good life if you're in your 70's with a full head of hair, wearing a suit at a comic convention and sporting a b*tchln' tan.

he is the coolest man in any room he enters! And he still has his swagger. I saw him last year, bought 6 of the calendar prints but he now asks $50 a sig so I passed on having them signed.

Jim Shooter's a huge man. If he falls on Steranko neither may be getting up on their own. I really like Shooter too. 

I hope OP gets his comic with a great head sketch as well.

Edited by Bird

On 1/28/2023 at 6:35 PM, Bird said:

On 1/29/2023 at 6:41 PM, Bird said:

Jim Shooter's a huge man. If he falls on Steranko neither may be getting up on their own.

You mean this is the comic book version of Shooter and Steranko:  lol

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, Famous Funnies #1 (Eastern Color, 1934) CGC FN+ 6.5 Light tan to off-white pages....

Sad to hear this. 

I have never heard of Shawn Fritz that doesn't mean anything by itself but I've seen Jim at many shows and last I recall I think he was booked via former Marvel editor Renee Witterstaetter so maybe reach out to her?  Jim is still very active on the convention circuit.  He was just at New Orleans and I sent a few books to get signed at Terrificon last summer.

Last time I saw Jim he signed 10 books in about 3 minutes, talking the whole time so it seems odd that his schedule is the issue.  Good luck and hopefully this works itself out. 

On 1/28/2023 at 9:35 PM, Bird said:

Trying to decide if this battle would look more like Frankenstein vs the Wolf Man, or Hulk vs Wolverine? Steranko has the hair for either one.