• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you price the following collection ?
4 4

25 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2023 at 6:03 AM, Grendel72 said:

The hope is that there are some out there who want an instant collection of  relatively complete sets of DD, Xmen,  Conan, Star wars etc .

Many years ago, I answered a classified ad (see, I told you it was many years ago) from someone wanting to sell his entire collection. He wouldn't break out individual issues, but he would sell you just one title. Which is how I got the portion of my X-Men run from 7-77 in one big bite.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:40 AM, icp004 said:

This was my thinking as well as I give thought to how I will liquidate my modest collection one day.  Let’s take my ASM run of 175-400.  Is it correct to assume I would make more by selling 194, 210, 238, 252, 300, 316 and 361 (and maybe a few others) separately on eBay than I would by selling the entire run to a dealer? 

It all depends on your timeline. If you need immediate cash your going to be taking a bigger hit on your ROI for your collection. I have found that bundling a key in with a bulk lot will usually help sell the lot and you can realize I higher price point on those non-keys than if you sold them off separately. Honestly,  it's all about your timeline and how much work you want to put in. And remember Dealers are not in it to make YOU money.

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 2/2/2023 at 10:36 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I am curious, how do you handle the reactions of sellers who are offended by that kind of offer? I recently looked at a spreadsheet of 90's books "valued at $32.000" which contained ASM 300 and - literally - $31,500 worth of drek that Overstreet values at $4 each that would sit in the 10¢ bin for the next thousand years. I have not bothered to contact the person again, as it's not anything that would remotely turn a profit on an offer they thought was fair - but I was curious to how you handle someone who thinks they have $10,000 worth of books that you offer $1500 for.

I try to find seller's who are either not knowledgeable or desperate for money. If I had your seller there wouldn't be a offer from me unless they under graded valued the asm 300. Nobody will make deal. Even a comic shop only has so much space. I don't come across many people who looked up every single book. I pretty much end up with every collection I look at because I know more books of value. If someone knows as much as I do about values, grading, pressing, restoration I don't even bother. Or if they just have unrealistic demands. No need for you to call seller back. Move on to another. 

Good luck with your sale!  I've been a "run" collector my whole collecting lifetime so that's what I've got - full series or runs that cover years (or decades...LOL).  To purge my collection of the no-value stuff over the past couple of  years I've loaded up 3-4 long boxes with as much as I can fit and just accepted whatever offer I got from local shops.  My goal on those books was "get them out of the house" so getting $100 a long box even if I thought they were worth more was enough bc it met my goal - get rid of it.

For anything books in that $20 and above range, I've used MCS.  Bc even though I'm purging, I'm still buying, so MCS credit stockpiles until I decide my next "run" to get after.

Just wanted to update that I managed to sell my collection (albeit with a heavy heart). As many of you suggested I reached out to MCS and they were truly awesome. They gave a me a great offer. Honestly I was surprised as I didn't think they would be interested. I always rated them but this was next level. They were professional and made an offer days after i contacted them. So just wanted to give a shout out to them. 

Ultimately though, I got another offer which was local and saved me the hassle of shipping overseas which would have been an ordeal as I had a few thousand books. Wanted to thank all, for  the advice I was given on the forum. Was rly helpful. I have lots of space now. I'm already looking at buying some tpbs and omnibuses to replace some of the books I sold.