• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective comics 73...Outrageously Priced?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2023 at 7:40 PM, Timeless icons said:

would you rather trust a website that's been in existence for several decades or some guy you've never met on Ebay that you have to trust with your big purchase? Many buyers prefer to buy from reputable sites

🤔 News to me as I’ve literally had thousands of positive transactions on eBay as both a buyer and a seller. Any losses have been made up with volume.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:23 PM, ThothAmon said:

🤔 News to me as I’ve literally had thousands of positive transactions on eBay as both a buyer and a seller. Any losses have been made up with volume.

+1!

Been buying on ebay continuously since 1998. It's the best site for comics, bar none. Probably 90% of my GA collection was purchased there.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:23 PM, ThothAmon said:

Reputable dealers on ebay are an exception. I should have added that the scenario usually applies to sellers that are virtually unknown and are trying to sell big books with little feedback. Also, there are several dealers on ebay that have tons of positive feedback that are constantly being called out for their selling methods. This doesn't apply to everyone of course. 

On 1/30/2023 at 9:56 PM, Point Five said:

+1!

Been buying on ebay continuously since 1998. It's the best site for comics, bar none. Probably 90% of my GA collection was purchased there.

Glad you've had success. I also know of a few people that had bought big ticket items and were burned. Everyone has their opinion. I buy from Ebay as well but when it comes to big ticket items and Im not familiar with them, I simply dont buy it. How often do we see fake listings on Ebay with some seller jacking someone's scan? So I'm wrong?

On 1/30/2023 at 6:56 PM, Point Five said:

+1!

Same time frame here, and only 90%?  Prolly 95% for me.  eBay's buyer protection policy is a comforting aspect of their site.  And knowing what to expect from many sellers (pushing the grade maybe half a number up) should always be factored into expectations and maximum bid determination.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:09 PM, Timeless icons said:

Glad you've had success. I also know of a few people that had bought big ticket items and were burned. Everyone has their opinion. I buy from Ebay as well but when it comes to big ticket items and Im not familiar with them, I simply dont buy it. How often do we see fake listings on Ebay with some seller jacking someone's scan? So I'm wrong?

All valid concerns. But remember, Ebay today has extremely robust buyer protection. You can return an item / request a refund for any reason, or no reason at all. If anything, I’m wary of *selling* there as much as I used to, since the protection is tilted so strongly towards the buyers.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:31 PM, Point Five said:

All valid concerns. But remember, Ebay today has extremely robust buyer protection. You can return an item / request a refund for any reason, or no reason at all. If anything, I’m wary of *selling* there as much as I used to, since the protection is tilted so strongly towards the buyers.

Perhaps the tables have turned with the exit of a Paypal only option that once was? I've slowed down on Ebay drastically when certain changes were made and I dont sell on there anymore but I still buy a lot. Ive also been on Ebay since the 90's and while Ive had a very small amount of issues with sellers, that is likely attributed to buying from familiar sellers and in my personal opinion, staying away from what seems like risky purchases. So the general outlook in more recent times is that the buyer is now potected far more than in past times? Is this due to them handling the transaction side of things? I really hate passing books up that id like to buy because I want to avoid losing something like a 10k purchase because they side with the seller in the event he sends me a piece of a 2x4 instead of a book.