• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Quality Control - What is going on?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Received these today.  I mean... what the heck? Called CGC to try to straighten it out.  Despite these being delivered to me today through the original store that I ordered from they wanted to charge me for a reholder because it had been "a couple months" ago that these were in their possession.  Working on seeing what the retailer can do. I can't see how these issues mysteriously manifested themselves in the time between... 

For fairness - some of the items that look like issues are actually reflections of my cabinet hardware.  But in person there are some very significant, very noticeable issues that even an quick look reveal.  

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Edited by Phillip K

On 2/1/2023 at 5:15 PM, Phillip K said:

Despite these being delivered to me today through the original store that I ordered from they wanted to charge me for a reholder because it had been "a couple months" ago that these were in their possession.

@CGC Mike

Has the time limit / original submitter clause not been lifted?(shrug)

• Administrator
On 2/1/2023 at 6:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

@CGC Mike

Has the time limit / original submitter clause not been lifted?(shrug)

The fix at no charge list contains the only items that have no time limit, and the person doesn't have to be the submitter.  The above scuffing has a 2 week time limit.  

FIX NO CHARGE:

Wrong label information

Book inserted wrong

Book pinched between inner well seal

Debris inside holder

REHOLDER/REPAIR FEE:

Holder scratches

Cracked/damaged holders

Damaged books

On 2/1/2023 at 8:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

The fix at no charge list contains the only items that have no time limit, and the person doesn't have to be the submitter.  The above scuffing has a 2 week time limit.  

FIX NO CHARGE:

Wrong label information

Book inserted wrong

Book pinched between inner well seal

Debris inside holder

REHOLDER/REPAIR FEE:

Holder scratches

Cracked/damaged holders

Damaged books

Thanks 

I accidentally sent in a Micronauts #1 that was double signed on the 1st page by AL Milgrom and Dave Cockrum... not only did it come back blue universal 8.5, no mention of the (unverified)signatures on either the header or in the graders notes.. like tf do they even bother opening the books they're grading?!

On 2/1/2023 at 8:11 PM, Phillip K said:

I called earlier today and they said the time limit had passed. I messaged the retailer and am waiting to hear back from them now. 

Those should have never left cgc. The retailer should have notified you of the scuffs or shipped them to you within a week. Cgc should take them back anyways. Failure all around. 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:42 PM, Nick Berntson said:

I accidentally sent in a Micronauts #1 that was double signed on the 1st page by AL Milgrom and Dave Cockrum... not only did it come back blue universal 8.5, no mention of the (unverified)signatures on either the header or in the graders notes.. like tf do they even bother opening the books they're grading?!

Interior sigs have always been ignored.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:01 PM, Ryan. said:

Interior sigs have always been ignored.

Maybe you're right.

"no mention of the (unverified)signatures on either the header or in the graders notes."

On 2/1/2023 at 6:44 PM, ak47po said:

Scuffing is a huge problem CGC has right now.

You can say that again. I strongly suspect, however, it is a problem that CGC has made a conscious decision not to correct. This scuffing bs has been going on for so long (years), does anyone seriously think that CGC does not know what the cause is? (If they truly don't, they are even more inept than I thought) I believe it's a far, far greater probability that CGC has decided that it'd cost too much to fix this issue and decided to deal with all the returns/MEs instead.

If this is the case, is it standard business practice to continually deny that they know what the problem is ... or is it simply a lack of integrity on CGC's part?

On 2/2/2023 at 4:22 PM, Gaard said:

You can say that again. I strongly suspect, however, it is a problem that CGC has made a conscious decision not to correct. This scuffing bs has been going on for so long (years), does anyone seriously think that CGC does not know what the cause is? (If they truly don't, they are even more inept than I thought) I believe it's a far, far greater probability that CGC has decided that it'd cost too much to fix this issue and decided to deal with all the returns/MEs instead.

If this is the case, is it standard business practice to continually deny that they know what the problem is ... or is it simply a lack of integrity on CGC's part?

Imagine waiting weeks or longer to get in blanks only to find they are scuffed from the manufacturer? The chance of CGC stopping production till they get clean/clear blanks is probably less than zero. 

On 2/2/2023 at 8:38 PM, joeypost said:

Imagine waiting weeks or longer to get in blanks only to find they are scuffed from the manufacturer? The chance of CGC stopping production till they get clean/clear blanks is probably less than zero. 

I seem to recall that we were told that one of the things this Saucerman guy was trying was putting some tarp-kinda-thing over their stocks of blanks to help prevent scuffs.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:50 AM, Gaard said:

I seem to recall that we were told that one of the things this Saucerman guy was trying was putting some tarp-kinda-thing over their stocks of blanks to help prevent scuffs.

Looks like he is earning his keep. 

On 2/3/2023 at 7:54 AM, joeypost said:

Looks like he is earning his keep. 

I'm picking up what you're putting down, and I couldn't agree more. I believe that stupid 'tarp' statement was just to lower the torches.