• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Joker #1 w/ bc stain
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello and thank you for your help grading this Joker #1.  

It looks like a nice clean book w/ white pages but has a stain on the back cover edge.

Can you please share your thoughts on the grade with the stain and w/o the stain?  I would like to learn how a stain of this severity affects the grade.  Thank you.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

On 2/2/2023 at 4:37 AM, Pukie said:

It looks like a nice clean book w/ white pages but has a stain on the back cover edge.  Can you please share your thoughts on the grade with the stain and w/o the stain?  I would like to learn how a stain of this severity affects the grade.  Thank you.

Is this the "stain" you're referring to?  I'm pretty sure it's just a touch of stray ink from the date stamp.  No effect on the condition grade of this book.

x1.jpg.7be09fdb8e1c575bb0253df09f7d56cc.jpg

The stain I saw was at the top edge of the back cover.

But your date stamp clarification is most helpful.  Where it came from and what affect it has on the grade - Thank you.   I have seen this on several books but never knew what it was. 

Edited by Pukie

I had the book at about a 9.0 without taking the stain into consideration. 7.0 with it. Were it discolored the grade deduction would be more severe. A C&P may help the grade slightly. There won't be a grade deduction for the date stamp. 

Thanks for posting.

I was looking on my phone when you first posted, but I thought I could see the stain along the top. It's clearer on my laptop. I agree with the 7.0/7.5 consensus. CGC just doesn't tolerate staining & (IMO) penalizes stains that aren't obtrusive (i.e. light, on the back cover) a bit too harshly.