• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should all books be pressed prior to submission?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

It’s up to you, your goals, your wallet, your grading skills, your press recognition skills, your preferences, the presser, your timeline.

hope that helps

Edited by revat

Should all books be pressed prior to submission?

Most certainly not!

Take for example the five Silver and early Bronze 9.6 and 9.8 Pedigree's in my current signature, none were pressed.

Its equally important to know what not to press, as it is to know what to press.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/2/2023 at 1:24 PM, ctbrian said:

Thinking about submitting some modern books. Not sure if they will benefit from some unseen advantage of a press. Unseen meaning the books already look pretty good so not sure what a press could improve 

I'm sure someone out there would be more than happy to take your money. 

Some people take the approach of pressing everything. I think it's wasteful, but to each their own. 

On 2/2/2023 at 1:38 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I'd like to see pressing noted when they've been pressed in house prior to CGC grading.

Not all books should be pressed. Its not always desirable and if I was buying raw I'd like to know a comic is in its true original state. 

You're not changing the "true original state" of the comic. That's why pressing isn't restoration, but that's a giant can of worms. :fear:

Edited by newshane

On 2/2/2023 at 12:38 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I'd like to see pressing noted when they've been pressed in house prior to CGC grading.

Not all books should be pressed. Its not always desirable and if I was buying raw I'd like to know a comic is in its true original state. 

No one would use CCS anymore then. 

hm

Which may be a good thing! xD

On 2/2/2023 at 12:24 PM, ctbrian said:

Thinking about submitting some modern books. Not sure if they will benefit from some unseen advantage of a press. Unseen meaning the books already look pretty good so not sure what a press could improve 

I think the first question you have to ask if they are moderns is whether they are worth grading in the first place. With grading fees and shipping to/from CGC you are in the $30-$35/book range in additional costs to start with. Add $10 - $15 for pressing on top of that, then the books really need to be worth at least $50 more than you paid for them to just break even.

On 2/2/2023 at 6:00 PM, newshane said:

That's why pressing isn't restoration, but that's a giant can of worms. 

It's only a can of worms because people like to argue.

Pressing is no more restoration than unfolding a page corner or wiping off a fingerprint.

As noted, many factors, if you have the time, the money and you think they are pressable defects that can be cured, I will add pressing to my submissions. Overall, your choice but I've found the bump from previous grades to be worth it. 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:24 PM, ctbrian said:

One question worth asking: did it start life in a poly bag? Consequent back cover crease could be worth pressing if the grail 9.8 grade is in your sights.

I received my first submission back (about 10 modern comic books) in January (I submitted it in July 2022 with no Express). The grades I received back were very good (including New Mutants 98 newstand cgc 9.8 and New Mutants 87 cgc 9.8) and I used CCS pressing for all of them.

Worthwhile? Totally for me... especially since I never rebagged or reboarded my original comics that I've stored the past 30 years. I plan to submit a 2nd batch this year and I plan using CCS for all of them.