• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*Grade Is In!* PGM: Batman Beyond 1
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! I know moderns are probably a little boring for all of you, but I greatly appreciate any input you can give. This particular issue is close to my heart because I grew up watching the show (along with the original animated series). I'm pretty damn excited to now have the first run of the comics.

Notable defects that I see are some color-breaking spine ticks on the front and back covers, spine wear, a bit of wear on the bottom back cover near the spine, and a very small tear (somewhere between 1/16 and 1/32 of an inch) on the top right back cover a couple inches left of the spine. Mainly posting here because I'm really not sure how much such a tear will affect the grade (and I'm curious to learn!). Let me know what y'all think!

Beyond1.jpg

Beyond2.jpg

Beyond3.jpg

Beyond4.jpg

Beyond5.jpg

Beyond6.jpg

Beyond7.jpg

Beyond8.jpg

Beyond9.jpg

Beyond10.jpg

Beyond11.jpg

Beyond12.jpg

Beyond13.jpg

Edited by Nsschenks

tear of that type/length caps the grade around 9.2. Maybe 9.4 for an otherwise perfect book since it's on the back. I'd guess this grades out at 9.0/9.2 with a standard press to take care of any minor handling issues

On 2/2/2023 at 2:55 PM, scburdet said:

tear of that type/length caps the grade around 9.2. Maybe 9.4 for an otherwise perfect book since it's on the back. I'd guess this grades out at 9.0/9.2 with a standard press to take care of any minor handling issues

Thanks for the feedback! As a rule, is it a good idea to C&P any book of a certain value (say, $200 and up), even if it's hard to discern if it needs one or not? I have a few books that to my layman's eye look pretty good, but I also know it's easy to miss indents/creases/rolls/etc. I figure $12 and the presser's CGC discount probably worth it even for newer books, but I'd love your input! 

On 2/2/2023 at 4:39 PM, Nsschenks said:

I figure $12 and the presser's CGC discount probably worth it even for newer books

That's my rule of thumb, I having everything pressed b/c wasting the occasional $20 (or less) expense will avoid missing a few finger bends that cost a grade or 2 and then having to consider the hassle/expense of going through the whole process again. TBF I have very few "perfect" books that wouldn't benefit from a basic press.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:43 PM, Nsschenks said:

I know moderns are probably a little boring for all of you,

It's only because we prefer Hostess Twinkie ads to lame 2000 Pop Tarts prize propaganda.  :baiting:

Marvel_Hostess_Ads_Vol_1_6.jpg.b8578939d03c9ba43f07a52c93a05f1b.jpg

image.png.45df0713b742e30aa3506a613c4254df.png

:roflmao:

You'll probably want to press it but it's a 9.4.

Thanks for sharing.

On 2/2/2023 at 10:27 PM, grendelbo said:

It's only because we prefer Hostess Twinkie ads to lame 2000 Pop Tarts prize propaganda.  :baiting:

Marvel_Hostess_Ads_Vol_1_6.jpg.b8578939d03c9ba43f07a52c93a05f1b.jpg

image.png.45df0713b742e30aa3506a613c4254df.png

:roflmao:

You'll probably want to press it but it's a 9.4.

Thanks for sharing.

I’d love to see those ads on modern books. If it’s gonna be a product ad at least make it interesting y’ know? I bet 9 times out of 10 a person reading any given book couldn’t remember a single ad. Subliminal i guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 4/16/2023 at 8:12 PM, JollyComics said:

No grader note

I have a hypothesis that the more likely a defect can be seen through the holder, the less likely it is to be described, especially in the NM range. That's the most charitable explanation I have for getting more 9.0s back without notes. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, or I'm just full of it.

On 4/16/2023 at 7:12 PM, JollyComics said:

No grader note.  Shamed.

I have several copies with small tears and VERY minimal spine wears.  All are 8.5.

Yeah I was kind of annoyed about that. Also got a NYX 3 back 9.0 that has no notes (that one was actually higher than expected but not having notes on anything under 9.4 is kind of irritating). I really wish notes were mandatory for anything under 9.8 tbh. With a professional 3rd party grading company it seems to me consistency is kind of of utmost importance, and the inconsistency with which notes are provided (like within the notes themselves in terms of what they describe and don’t describe) doesn’t really vibe. I get that grading is subjective, but a grader choosing to provide or not provide notes shouldn’t be, imo

On 4/16/2023 at 6:20 PM, scburdet said:

I have a hypothesis that the more likely a defect can be seen through the holder, the less likely it is to be described, especially in the NM range. That's the most charitable explanation I have for getting more 9.0s back without notes. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, or I'm just full of it.

giphy-1.gif.26618a96295c46ad7f56394f7274026c.gif

On 4/16/2023 at 6:21 PM, Nsschenks said:

Yeah I was kind of annoyed about that. Also got a NYX 3 back 9.0 that has no notes (that one was actually higher than expected but not having notes on anything under 9.4 is kind of irritating). I really wish notes were mandatory for anything under 9.8 tbh. With a professional 3rd party grading company it seems to me consistency is kind of of utmost importance, and the inconsistency with which notes are provided (like within the notes themselves in terms of what they describe and don’t describe) doesn’t really vibe. I get that grading is subjective, but a grader choosing to provide or not provide notes shouldn’t be, imo

giphy.gif.7afc181f31bc1efafb984f8964f12130.gifgiphy-2.gif.7d4df45b1ad10f15d31de927395574c6.gif