• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking your collection
3 3

25 posts in this topic

What is everyone using to track their raw and slabbed books? We have Comicspriceguide, Covrprice, CLZ, GoCollect, and good old school excel.

I have been using comicspriceguide, but do find their website and even app to be slow and clunky. I have been toying around with Covrprice the past week.

I've been a comicspriceguide member since 2006 but signed on with CLZ and was able to import my entire collection via CSV. It wasn't perfect as the variant covers/newstand/direct editionds aren't aligned but it's workable. I'm also paying for the Covrprice membership as it imports prices into my collection. Covrprice replaced the Gocollect pricing info within the CLZ app and as stated above, flawed but improving. Definitely a much better interface the comicspriceguide.  I'll maintiain both for a year and make the call then. 

Posted this last week in the Magazine section.  Not just for mags but all purchases.

Funny thing is, for the past week I’ve been logging in old purchase receipts I have in a file folder about 5” thick. They date back to 2002. I’m surprised that I actually bought a lot from Mile High from 02-04. Mostly late BA issues to fill runs. I’m making an Excel spreadsheet of Publisher, Title, Date, Price and Purchased From. Might sound boring to some but it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now. I find it pretty fun seeing some of the dirt cheap (by todays) prices I purchased the books for. Especially the precode stuff! If and when it comes time to sell, it will be a nice reference tool to check against.

Edited by Jayman

Excel for the slabbed books - which is also - for the most part - the books worth more $$. These are also the only books listed with value (GPA) 

Nothing for the rest. It's kinda fun to go through the boxes from time to time and go "ohhh. I forgot I had that <3

Edited by Tony S

I use Covrprice currently. As others have mentioned, it has its flaws, but in general it's a nice, visual, easy-to-use platform. I do plan to put together a simple Excel sheet though, especially because I plan to try my hand at some small shows, and I'd like something I can print if needed and/or use offline.

I use Excel.  There really is no substitute for being able to track exactly what you want however you want it.  I also made a very simple MySQL database that I can populate instantly from Excel and use to generate a want list and do some fun data visualization.

I thought about putting my collection in GPA or GoCollect, but the effort would be way too much.  The last time I checked, neither one had an easy way to upload my entire collection -- but if that ever changes, I would consider it.  I tried another tracking service called Nostomania and that actually worked, because I was able to put the entire collection up in one shot instead of entering everything manually.  I've managed to keep that up to date as I buy new books, though it is a little extra effort.

On 2/5/2023 at 9:42 PM, captainzombie said:

Is it CLZ that allows you to scan in the barcodes off of the books? When you add your books to CLZ, if you have a coverprice subscription does it integrate your inventory? 

I just tried the bar code scan and it worked really well. You can sync from the mobile version to the cloud version and vice versa pretty easy. Each entry links over to Covrprice for so you can see the data. No link for books you don't own though.

When you add your books to CLZ, if you have a coverprice subscription does it integrate your inventory? 

If you mean the values from Covrprice then yes. If you have you collection on Corvprice then it isn't automatic as far as I know.

I started toying around with CLZ this evening and so much love the ability to be able to scan a barcode. It makes such a huge difference from using Comicspriceguide which is quite clunky and even worse when you are at a LCS trying to bring up your collection and it takes forever.

I have a few questions that not sure anyone can help with.

1. If I have my collection in comicspriceguide, does CLZ have the ability to take an export of my collection from comicspriceguide and then import it right into CLZ?
  2. For those that are using CLZ and Coverprice, do you have to manually add books to coverprice from CLZ to also add them into their collection? Is there a way when I add them to CLZ that it also adds them to Coverprice?

I use a variety of tools.

I have my collection in Xcel. I also use Nostomania and Go Collect, neither work well for all books. I also use Microsoft SQL Server. I can upload my collection from Xcel and have a database in short order. Recently I have created a subset of my collection using SQL to track my most valuable books. About a year ago I wrote  a SQL -script to track price changes and percentage changes in value for my slabbed books. Obtaining reliable pricing is the tricky part, and labor intensive as many of my books are thinly traded. What's really needed is an automated way to capture all of the latest prices, perhaps using screen scraping.

Edited by frozentundraguy