• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Action Comics 36 actually feature a robot story?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Golden age covers didn't always match the main story. Sometimes covers were done in advance and used for any issue that needed one... and even when a cover theme matches a story, it's not unheard of for the cover to appear on the issue before or the issue after, for whatever (I assume) publishing deadline reason. Detective Comics seemed to do that quite a bit.

Unless a cover promised an encounter with a specific villain ("this issue: LUTHOR RETURNS!"), it was typically pretty random.

Edited by Point Five

On 2/5/2023 at 2:17 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Finally a thread about my FAVOURITE early Superman cover :D

The interior does not match the cover, however a story that does was published. The cover matches the story 'The Bandit Robots of Metropolis', a Sunday newspaper strip that ran from October 27, 1940 to December 15, 1940.

It would have been amazing to get these reprinted with that cover in this issue. I believe this story also pre-dated the animated 'The Mechanical Monsters' adventure, making this comic story the very first time Superman fought an army of robots.

image.jpeg.316b5cef73ea6cc107a365bdf3390504.jpeg
superman-page-55.thumb.jpg.ad76d681efe240db29462e101a3738a7.jpg

I've only posted my single favourite page of the story here since it matches the action on the cover best (I believe there was a total of around 7-9 pages that made up the entire story), and I own an original clipping of it from the paper hanging on my wall.

119710529_322078382430720_2870620169717944264_n.thumb.jpg.454384c25cfae97cfd83623378c4082a.jpg

That is seriously awesome. The art, the color, the condition. So exactly what is that? I thought it was a centerfold from a newspaper at first. Was it cut to that size? Such a cool thing to have (thumbsu

On 2/5/2023 at 8:40 AM, Point Five said:

Golden age covers didn't always match the main story. Sometimes covers were done in advance and used for any issue that needed one... and even when a cover theme matches a story, it's not unheard of for the cover to appear on the issue before or the issue after, for whatever (I assume) publishing deadline reason. Detective Comics seemed to do that quite a bit.

With the classic example being the first ever Joker cover in 'Tec 40 which is actually the splash page for the 2nd Joker story in Batman 1.  (thumbsu

On 2/5/2023 at 3:12 PM, Professor K said:

That is seriously awesome. The art, the color, the condition. So exactly what is that? I thought it was a centerfold from a newspaper at first. Was it cut to that size? Such a cool thing to have (thumbsu

It is cut from a from a full-size newspaper page, looks to have been the bottom part of it and I'm not sure what was above it (on the back are articles and advertisements). The framed clipping I posted above is 15"x11" (it was trimmed again to fit the frame, so when I originally bought it the size was slightly larger)

Edited by Sauce Dog