• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When does pressing help?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Sorry to have such basic questions, but how does one know when pressing helps? So, for example, after some cursory research, I submitted some books requesting CCS. Just 3, but I thought they could get the crease out (or at least reduce it) of the following comic. I regret not taking before pics (last time for that)... so it will be hard to determine if anything was amiss, but I am somewhat certain that these creases were not altered at all. I understand that creases come in various degrees of... depth, I guess.

And I assumed that pressing would remove grime. See the back cover pic. 

In addition, please check out the processing time. Economy--from received, pressed, graded, only 10 days. (see middle entry) Kinda doubting that the CCS even happened, but again, I guess it is possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I have a few more to submit but thinking that CCS is not worth the money--or maybe I just don't understand its limitations. 

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5633.JPG

IMG_5632.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 18.46.37.png

I'm pretty new to all this too, but as I understand it, cleaning and pressing is not a magical procedure that will restore inks to color-breaking creases or make stained/tanned paper white again.

Cleaning can reduce/remove some surface dirt, but probably won't eliminate most staining or discoloration, and pressing can make bends and tics flat again, but if the color was broken, pressing won't restore it.  So those white lines and staining that you've circled won't come out with a clean and press--but the book should be flat (which will be kind of hard to tell inside a slab).

Those with more experience, feel free to ridicule my response at your leisure.

Someone with more experience may chime in with more details, but pressing can't fix color breaks (those white marks you've circled).  And while cleaning sometimes go hand in hand with pressing services, I don't think pressing itself is cleaning. Some stains may require more involved techniques (if they can be removed at all).

(Axe beat me to it)

Edited by 850chris

The first step is to identify a comic book’s “good” defects and “bad” defects. In short, good defects can be diminished or removed with pressing, and the bad defects cannot. Here is a comprehensive list of both:

Good defects (do not break color) Bad defects
Dents
Bends
Folds
Light creases
Minor spine stresses
Impacted corners or edges
Warping
Ripples (with no stains present)
Spine rolls
Waviness
Stacking bends
Cover impressions
Light pencil marks (usually in white areas)
Dirt
Substance
Creases that break color
Missing chips or pieces
Tears
Stains
Detached staples or staple tears
Spine stresses that break color
Fading
Fingerprints or smudges
Dust shadows or sun shadows
Rusted staples or rust stains
Rounded or blunted corners
Pen markings or printer ink
Cover veins
Brown or brittle cover or pages

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

It's important to understand that a color breaking crease is a crease that breaks the ink (color) on a cover.  Perhaps the phrase should be 'ink breaking crease'.  Pressing, which is the application of humidity, heat, and pressure can flatten a cover/crease but can't fill in the broken ink.  To repair a color breaking crease you'd need to fill in the crease with new ink......known as color touch.

I’ve heard and agree that Black is the hardest color to get right on comics and the most noticeable.

Also agree color breaks, there is no press that can help fill in color.

I do know some people do multiple presses on one comic, I know one guy that did 4 presses and changed an 8.0 to 9.2

The white on the back should be cleaner, in my opinion.

I have also heard that one person complained their comic was not cleaned and CGC investigated and found it was not cleaned or pressed and got a refund.