• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else shocked by these numbers?

32 posts in this topic

The first one that gets a 9.9 or 10.0 will probably show up on ebay with a price around $500 with phrases like "rare" and "one of a kind" tossed around.

For those looking for the "pristine copy" in their LCS this should be a revelation...

Jim

What about Highest Graded? That's one term someone is seriously going to milk. Heck, the large # of 9.8's could be expressed as a percentage. For example:

This CGC graded comic is on 1 of 1500 issues submitted to CGC. It's grade reflects that it is in the top .01% of all of these comics published. You have more chance of being struck by lightning than owning comic of this calibre etc.

You get the point.

What I find amazing is there's 1084 9.8s and ZERO 9.9s. I always wonder on brand new case fresh books like this why the numbers aren't more like 1000 9.9s and 84 9.8s. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It would make more sense, to me anyaway. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ahhh.. but you must know the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9! Rarely does the 9.9. fairy visit

the printing press to sprinkle her magic 9.9 fairy dust on to a book! Any slob can find a 9.8, but a 9.9. or a 10?

That's up to the whims of the inscrutable fairy folk!

Joker--

What I find amazing is there's 1084 9.8s and ZERO 9.9s. I always wonder on brand new case fresh books like this why the numbers aren't more like 1000 9.9s and 84 9.8s. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It would make more sense, to me anyaway. confused-smiley-013.gif

First of all, it seems too coincidental that there are 1,084 graded 9.8.

That's probably 84 from "normal activity" and 1,000 "special purpose" books.

Will D.C. (or someone else) be doing a big CGC 9.8 program for this book in the near future?

Anyway, I would still guess that these 1,000 CGC 9.8s were pre-screened,

which means that MORE than 1,000 brand new case fresh books had to be

examined in order to find 1,000 in CGC 9.8 condition.

It's a bit surprising that there were no 9.9s... but it re-iterates the point

that most books don't start out life as a 10, or a 9.9 "straight out of the box".

In fact, I'd bet that most books printed today start as about 9.6 condition.

There are lots of 9.8s too, but there are also 9.4s... "brand new case fresh 9.4s".

(...and if they've been on the comic shop shelf very long, "brand new 9.2s, 9.0s, etc.")

We've become a bit "jaded" to think that if it's a new book,

it must be near perfect condition (or, at least 9.8) most of the time.

Pre-screening might make that appear true...

but that's because the less-than-9.8-books aren't on the census.

They got sent back unslabbed.

Consider the average grades for books printed since CGC opened in 2000.

Books printed in...

2000 (880 issues, 9,061 submissions, 9.56 avg. universal grade)

2001 (963 issues, 21,305 submissions, 9.60 avg. universal grade)

2002 (966 issues, 21,893 submissions, 9.66 avg. universal grade)

2003 (1,066 issues, 21,002 submissions, 9.69 avg. universal grade)

2004 (1,610 issues, 36,463 submissions, 9.74 avg. universal grade)

2005 (1,612 issues, 28,832 submissions, 9.75 avg. universal grade)

Increased use of pre-screening (and more experienced submitters)

has probably caused this rise from 9.56 to 9.75.

Does that make 9.8s for new books rare? Nope.

But it doesn't mean every brand new book on the shelf is 9.8-worthy either.

Which means that the older the book, the less likely it's still (or ever was) 9.8.

(No surprise, right?) grin.gif

Actually, I am not jaded. That 9.9 has to be pratically unread. Typical of the issue. Be perfectly cut...yada, yada, yada. And those conditions, are not all that common, especially when the local loitering fanboy decides to finger every copy.

It is more difficult to get a comic book 9.9 graded then breeding a Best of Breed Schnauzer.