• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware…Fake high value CGC books in Pacific Northwest
14 14

336 posts in this topic

This is pretty terrifying on one hand. 

The name of the scammer in the listing sounds like someone well known in the NW. Obviously he can't reveal the full name due to the police investigation but I think most old timers know who it is. 

It certainly reinforces the notion that collectors should only buy comics from reputable sellers. 

I also wonder if they at least checked ID before making the purchase or just bought it at arm's length. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 2/19/2023 at 6:27 PM, VintageComics said:

The name of the scammer in the listing sounds like someone well known in the NW. Obviously he can't reveal the full name due to the police investigation but I think most old timers know who it is. 

He posted these in part two.

Sold.thumb.jpg.f4004460b1bb3e66f83bb8d096fd312d.jpg

Sold3.thumb.jpg.07dff1489761a68d9983d30a899eae7f.jpg

Sold2.jpg.45393079626e00b64a0d82b55bbebfea.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

I saw this last night on a Facebook CLZ/Collectorz forum and was going to post it here.  Man, you can't trust anything anymore.  The problem with this is that even trustworthy sellers could probably be duped into buying this and maybe trying to sell it later.  This kind of stuff pisses me off.

Edited by Telegan

Something seems odd.  Is it normal to request the name and address of someone you buy books from? 

And would it be possible to clarify if the Captain America # 1 was slabbed or raw when bought by the dealer?  The photo in the facebook post shows the Cap book as raw.  

On 2/19/2023 at 5:37 PM, DWL said:

Something seems odd.  Is it normal to request the name and address of someone you buy books from? 

I will remember to do this should I ever buy something like that again.

On 2/19/2023 at 8:28 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yeah, that Incredible Hulk typeface is not even close.

Other label looks funny too.

See this book here:

576338617_ScreenShot2023-02-19at8_30_43PM.png.9c892075924cb498ceb24a919894e980.png

Also, I believe the encapsulation case looks newer for GS X-Men #1 with the old label. 

Edited by JollyComics

Gotta double check what you're buying now.  Sad to see these fakes are in circulation and can fool novice collectors, possibly harder for those who have been in the hobby longer.  I saw a fake CGC slab and book of a Marvel Spotlight #5 "CGC 9.2" in a FB comic book forum a couple months ago that someone posted.  I mentioned to the owner that the label and book are both fake, of course he said they were real.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:28 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yeah, that Incredible Hulk kerning (space between letters) is not even close. 

1.jpg.d6328b22ae6aade353d56fa0b1ca8000.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.fe5fb5f23885cd7281fd360d0c933b2f.jpg

Is the top one the fake one and the bottom one a real one?  Because, uh, the "space between letters" looks pretty darn close to my (inexpert) eyes.  The font on the numbers looks different though?