• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference in value (percentagewise) based on grade?
3 3

30 posts in this topic

Is there a general rule of thumb regarding value when comparing CGC comics by grade if there are no comparable sales?  For exampre  if I considered buying a 8.0 CGC book but there have been zero sales.  However there's been a few 9.6 sales of other books in the run selling for obviously a premium.  What would the value difference be between a 9.6 and an 8.0?  I know it's a huge gap but the consensus on some books out there is so slim it's hard to tell. 

What are you using to determine comparable sales? If it's eBay, that only looks back 90 days, rarely more. Usually gpa or gocollect will have data in any grade, but will/might require a subscription. 

The % of value of an 8.0 compared to a 9.6 will be all over the board, depending on the title, or even the specific issue in that title. 

On 2/21/2023 at 2:52 PM, Lightning55 said:

What are you using to determine comparable sales? If it's eBay, that only looks back 90 days, rarely more. Usually gpa or gocollect will have data in any grade, but will/might require a subscription. 

The % of value of an 8.0 compared to a 9.6 will be all over the board, depending on the title, or even the specific issue in that title. 

There's nothing in consensus so no sales at all.  9.6 books in same run are going 220-260...but earlier issues.  After 9.6 8.0 is only other one and there's only one.  Plenty of raws out there but none very fine.  

Not saying there's zero.  Theres no sales and only one 8 on consensus.  The one I'm considering.  Consensus in literally 4 books spanning all grades.  9.8, 9.6 x 2, 8.  

Edited by EMazman

There are no general rules, it really depends on the census distribution of the book. For things like modern incentive variants that tend to have only 9.8s and 9.6s graded, a 8.0 should be at a steep discount since in most collector's eyes, it is a damaged book. For a Golden Age book, a 9.6 will command an enormous premium over an 8.0 since it could be the highest graded copy of the book with no others even near it. For books with many copies across the grading spectrum, it's easier to guesstimate the value from grades that are slightly higher or lower. I guess this is my long-winded way of saying the value rarely increases linearly. Hope that helps.

no obvious rules.  Most moderns or even bronzes don't sell at 8.0 unless they're super keys.  If you really want to apply a rule, find the age of your book and collect data from books in that era that have plenty of 8.0's and 9.6's that have sold (more data = better applications).  If you're talking about golden age, probably not a ton of 9.6's to compare to.  Do the math (it can be as complicated or simple as you are capable of) for books as similar to the one you're talking about.

If you want sales history of CGC books, consider using GPA analysis, its a paid subscription service.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:21 PM, revat said:

no obvious rules.  Most moderns or even bronzes don't sell at 8.0 unless they're super keys.  If you really want to apply a rule, find the age of your book and collect data from books in that era that have plenty of 8.0's and 9.6's that have sold (more data = better applications).  If you're talking about golden age, probably not a ton of 9.6's to compare to.  Do the math (it can be as complicated or simple as you are capable of) for books as similar to the one you're talking about.

If you want sales history of CGC books, consider using GPA analysis, its a paid subscription service.

Thanks.  Yeah I looked up and down the entire series with no recent sales in the grade.  It's bronze age. If I could just find a raw book thats around very fine I could figure it out.  At this point I'm spitballing it around 75-85.  Also not sure why this is the grading issue thread.  I didn't think it's the one I clicked on.  There's no way to delete the post huh?

On 2/21/2023 at 5:16 PM, 10centcomics said:

There are no general rules, it really depends on the census distribution of the book. For things like modern incentive variants that tend to have only 9.8s and 9.6s graded, a 8.0 should be at a steep discount since in most collector's eyes, it is a damaged book. For a Golden Age book, a 9.6 will command an enormous premium over an 8.0 since it could be the highest graded copy of the book with no others even near it. For books with many copies across the grading spectrum, it's easier to guesstimate the value from grades that are slightly higher or lower. I guess this is my long-winded way of saying the value rarely increases linearly. Hope that helps.

Here's the total distribution.  9.8, 9.6, 9.6, 8.0 lol  And there's not raws that appear 8.0 or over...possibly one but it's way way too high and they aren't taking offers.  So forget that and it's been on the market for a couple years. 

Edited by EMazman

You can try to use a different grade as a guestimate at value but it's a very rough calculation.  For mid to low grade books I'll mathematically compare grades, a 6.0 is 3 times more than a 2.0 so a 6.0 is worth maybe, roughly, kinda, probably not but it's a ballpark guess, 3 times more than a 2.0.  For higher grade books I'll multiply by 1.5 for each grade increase, a 9.0 might be worth $1000 so maybe a 9.2 is worth $1500.  

But none of this takes into account the rarity of the book in higher grade, are there are a fair number of mid to low grade copies and only 1 higher grade copy?  And none of this takes into account the demand for a book, a Roy Rogers book with low demand may not be worth much more in any grade because not many people care while the nicest copy of Suspense #3 might be worth 10 times the next nicest copy because everyone wants it and guys with unlimited funds will pay almost anything for it.

I'll often also look at other issues in the run to see if there's any recent sales data.  If a 5.0 sold 5 years ago for $1000 and another 5.0 recently sold for $3000 than I can assume all the books in the run increased 3 times value in 5 years.  Or if a book in the run in 5.0 recently sold for $1000 than maybe other books in that area of the run are worth approximately $1000 if they have similar demand and similar demand covers and similar populations.

• Administrator
On 2/21/2023 at 8:38 PM, EMazman said:

not sure why this is the grading issue thread.  I didn't think it's the one I clicked on.  There's no way to delete the post huh?

Nobody moved your thread.  Which forum did you want this posted in?

On 2/21/2023 at 5:54 PM, CGC Mike said:

General thread about grading/pricing.  I thought I put it in the general forum.  

• Administrator
On 2/21/2023 at 8:57 PM, EMazman said:
On 2/21/2023 at 8:54 PM, CGC Mike said:

General thread about grading/pricing.  I thought I put it in the general forum.  

I will move it to comics general for you.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:45 PM, thehumantorch said:

You can try to use a different grade as a guestimate at value but it's a very rough calculation.  For mid to low grade books I'll mathematically compare grades, a 6.0 is 3 times more than a 2.0 so a 6.0 is worth maybe, roughly, kinda, probably not but it's a ballpark guess, 3 times more than a 2.0.  For higher grade books I'll multiply by 1.5 for each grade increase, a 9.0 might be worth $1000 so maybe a 9.2 is worth $1500.  

But none of this takes into account the rarity of the book in higher grade, are there are a fair number of mid to low grade copies and only 1 higher grade copy?  And none of this takes into account the demand for a book, a Roy Rogers book with low demand may not be worth much more in any grade because not many people care while the nicest copy of Suspense #3 might be worth 10 times the next nicest copy because everyone wants it and guys with unlimited funds will pay almost anything for it.

I'll often also look at other issues in the run to see if there's any recent sales data.  If a 5.0 sold 5 years ago for $1000 and another 5.0 recently sold for $3000 than I can assume all the books in the run increased 3 times value in 5 years.  Or if a book in the run in 5.0 recently sold for $1000 than maybe other books in that area of the run are worth approximately $1000 if they have similar demand and similar demand covers and similar populations.

There's nothing graded lower, and only 3 books graded higher at 9.6, 9.6, and 9.8.  So...Similar books in same run at 9.6 were selling 230-260.  I think half isn't enough of a discount because those issues were earlier in the run 1 & 5.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:59 PM, EMazman said:

There's nothing graded lower, and only 3 books graded higher at 9.6, 9.6, and 9.8.  So...Similar books in same run at 9.6 were selling 230-260.  I think half isn't enough of a discount because those issues were earlier in the run 1 & 5.

Perhaps you could tell us which book you were looking at?

On 2/21/2023 at 6:54 PM, EMazman said:

Not saying there's zero.  Theres no sales and only one 8 on consensus.  The one I'm considering.  Consensus in literally 4 books spanning all grades.  9.8, 9.6 x 2, 8.  

Now you say there is one 8.0 in the census. Before that, you  said...

On 2/21/2023 at 5:59 PM, EMazman said:

There's nothing in consensus so no sales at all

You can see how that is confusing.

Also, concensus is the wrong word for the population report.

Census - a tabulated list

Consensus - a generally accepted opinion.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, Lightning55 said:

Now you say there is one 8.0 in the census. Before that, you  said...

You can see how that is confusing.

Also, concensus is the wrong word for the population report.

Census - a tabulated list

Consensus - a generally accepted opinion.

Yes that's what I meant of course.