• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #101 cgc 9.8 is back on comiclink

35 posts in this topic

Is this Greggy's POS? Is this book valued properly? Morbius - who's that? tongue.gif Are there any Vampires in current Modern Marvel comic series today? Even Blade's MAX series got cancelled....

Other than Morbius' 1st app - what makes this such a coveted ASM key? Why is key status assigned to this? Even to collectors nowadays, where is the connection for those folks who would pay a premium on this book?

Just rhetorical ....answer at will..I know where I stand on this book. It belongs in the bargain bins...

It sure looks like greggy's POS - the centering, or off-centering rather, looks right. Can't imagine the other 9.8 has similar centering.

Dan

I thought that (according to all the HG advocates on here) that this issue had gone through the usual Comiclink channels and had been scarfed up by a "serious collector" who "only wants the best" and could be expected to "never emerge again".

Oh well, another comic book urban legend put to rest. tongue.gif

Marvel reprinted this book in the early 90s when they tried to make Morbius the center of its entire "Midnight Sons" horror line.

It would be fun to list "books that publishers what you to think are key issues, but which nobody cares about." (Other than meaningless #1s, that is.)

I remember buying this book as a kid because I thought the six arms were cool.

You could say this about a number of supposed Marvel "key" books. Two come immediately to mind......

Iron Fist 14 - Where's Sabretooth lately? And evidently he's not Wolverine's dad.

Marvel Spotlight 5 - Where's Ghost Rider? Two failed series and a not well received mini tells me the character isn't "hot" anymore.

Giant Size X-Men #1 - What's the big deal........oh sorry wrong thread... smile.gif

I can understand how these issues got "hot" but time has lessened their heat. Just because they once were "key" doesn't necessarily mean they stay important. It's to the point that they're key because somebody says so....

Jim

Hmmm - Metropolis has one also but much cheaper - under $4000. Smetimes it pays to be patient - unless you want to be known as the guy that paid X for such and such book. I bet soon there will be a few more 9.6s and above of that book around - it is not all that hard to find in high grade.

First, the X-Men reference was a joke you apparently didn't get....

Keys?

ASM #129

ASM #121/122

Hulk #181

X-Men #94

Avengers #57

And I could go on and on....

If 1st appearances are the criteria for a "key" book, then why isn't Ms Marvel #13(?), the first appearance of Mystique a key (hey she was in the movie along with Sabretooth and has figured as prominently in the comics)? Or Nova #1 (he had two series/three if you include New Warriors). Or any of the other second tier villains and superheroes? And what make GR and Sabretooth 1st tier?

Jim

I got the" joke " , that's why "new x-men" was in capitals. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I was just wondering what books you considered "KEY".(Aside from the most obvious). What do you think about: ASM 136 MTU 53 IF 15 PPSS 27 HULK 212 AVENGERS 195 JIM 114 FF 211 ASM 96 ..................are any of these books "KEY"? What I'm really trying to ask is this: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE DEFINE THE TERM "key"?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE DEFINE THE TERM "key"?

I think the problem is going to be that too many folks can! grin.gif

To me, what constitutes a "key" is varied. Not all keys are in-your-face major events - especially when you get out of the superhero realm. I am gonna stick with my precode horror perceptions because there will be a number of Superhero type opinions.

1) influences the direction the comic world takes (for example, I consider Adventures Into The Unknown #1 and Eerie #1 ('47) both keys because Eeries was the first true Horror Comic and Adv Into Unknown 1 was the first continuing horror series.

2) introduces a character of significance. By this I mean a character that has survived a number of isses and gained a measure of popularity in their history. The character need not be currently published. Keeping with the pre-code horror, I consider Crime Patrol 15 a key as it introduced EC's Cryptkeeper (and had the first Crypt Of Terror story - but just intro of Cryptkeeper is enough).

3) contains especially noteworthy cover art. Startling Terror Tales 11, Horrific #5 and Mister Mystery 12 are some examples.

4) is the first or very early work of a now-famous artist. Things like Black Magic 27 and those THING covers of Ditko.

There are more things that can contitute minor keys but the abovwe four covers things overall for me in the pre-code horror realm.

Also, I don't consider all keys to be significantly more valuable financially. Some definitely are but others are worth sometimes just a bit more than their surrounding numbers.

What I'm really trying to ask is this: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE DEFINE THE TERM "key"?

A very difficult question.

My take is that it is a book that generates a higher demand than those issues around it for one reason or another. The reasons for this extra demand vary, but include things like First Character Appearance, First Issue of a Title, Death of a character etc. The magnitude of such enents then detrmine whether the 'key' is a major or a minor one. These factors can vary over time. Some books are major keys and become minor ones and vice versa.

Don't understand the high price tag on this book. 9.6s can be had for 1/5th that price.

Low census numbers on 9.8 copies of the book. That's the only reason for this crazy price. The book is not especially hard to find in high grade and as soon as more copies in 9.8 hit the census the price will drop like a stone.

Actually, that looks like the copy I put on Ebay about a year ago(maybe longer) . Not giving you exact details but the buyers id was comiclink and they paid $975ish. Now at the time I was happy because I bought it raw at $40! laugh.gif

But when you see that sort of mark-up, gotta realise why they make sooooooo much money. mad.gif