• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kansas City Planet Comicon Show Report

44 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2023 at 8:27 PM, unclezebo said:

I wish I could have made it, But I never know if I'm gonna get much free time this time of year. I ended up going to the Springfield Mo. con last month.............1 booth of comics and another that had some comics but mostly toys......... Waste of a day, lol.

Sorry to hear that! Was it Rubblecon…? Is that still a thing?

On 3/20/2023 at 7:46 PM, Raze said:

BD26CD95-41FB-4C0E-B6B9-A3C442392E05.jpeg

My brother bought the, "I drink and know things" shirt a couple of cons ago lol

Definitely more comic dealers than at my con, only by a gew, but enough to matter!

Great report.  I live two and a half hours away and went two years ago on a Sunday. Going the last day and bringing cash you can get some decent deals. I thought about going this year all the way up until a couple days before it started and talked myself out of it. The $50ish price tag for the last day is kind of high imo. 

Looks like there was more comic dealers this year then when I went in 2021 which makes me wish I went lol   
I see Dave from Krypton Comics in one of the dealer pics. That’s my “Home” LCS. Good people. 

I spent most of my time diving through $2 boxes on the ground. Next time I need to bring knee pads.

I've been trying to complete my Dark Nights Metal and Death Metal run with all the tie-ins and was able to get quite a few of them on Saturday. 

Also snagged a Batman #666 for $20, so I was pretty happy about that!

20230320_083132.thumb.jpg.7afaf86d36e1d6c4b337e8bf3f8e6ccd.jpg

On 3/20/2023 at 7:26 PM, Raze said:

Food, if you ever find yourself in Kansas City and you like BBQ ( I dont like BBQ my friend does) go to Q39! It is BY FAR the BEST BBQ Ive had! I had a Burnt End Bisket Burger...:cloud9: and the BBQ sauce was great!!

I'm glad you got some KC BBQ! I've heard that you can get some good BBQ in St. Louis by hopping on I-70 West and driving until your radio picks up Kansas City stations. As soon as that happens, take the next exit and whatever BBQ place you find is the best BBQ in St. Louis :bigsmile:

Thanks for the pics. I didn't get to go this year. Looks like a good show. I usually go and rummage through Dale's and Harlee's boxes. Also I have found lots of great 3 and 5 dollar boxes at that con. Hopefully next year! 

On 3/21/2023 at 8:26 AM, sevans1979 said:

Great report.  I live two and a half hours away and went two years ago on a Sunday. Going the last day and bringing cash you can get some decent deals. I thought about going this year all the way up until a couple days before it started and talked myself out of it. The $50ish price tag for the last day is kind of high imo. 

Looks like there was more comic dealers this year then when I went in 2021 which makes me wish I went lol   
I see Dave from Krypton Comics in one of the dealer pics. That’s my “Home” LCS. Good people. 

I bought the Batman from Kypton comics.

Also I had another friend that went on Friday and the Friday ticket was only $45. I don’t understand how they’re getting these prices. I know me and my friend paid those prices, but that is too high for that show.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:27 PM, Raze said:

A few picfrom Artist Alley.

5B52D544-01BD-4E19-8EF0-4B705E70EFB9.jpeg

Don cracks me up. To be clear, I have tons of respect for his work, and love his comics, but he is such a crank, it's hilarious. I'm sure that he was getting a lot of questions that he found annoying about Duck Tales, since he's such a fanatical stickler about the holy texts of Carl Barks. But still, the fact that he decided to make a sign telling people that "THIS IS NOT DUCK TALES" rather than just saying "Uh, yeah...it's Duck Tales...and prints are only $20" is really something. Take the money and run, Don!

On 3/21/2023 at 9:33 AM, The Commissioner said:

I'm glad you got some KC BBQ! I've heard that you can get some good BBQ in St. Louis by hopping on I-70 West and driving until your radio picks up Kansas City stations. As soon as that happens, take the next exit and whatever BBQ place you find is the best BBQ in St. Louis :bigsmile:

St Louis has a few good places for BBQ

Pappys

and 

Sugarfire

Those are what a lot of people talk about.

I still like your joke.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:21 PM, cd4ever said:

Thanks for the pics. I didn't get to go this year. Looks like a good show. I usually go and rummage through Dale's and Harlee's boxes. Also I have found lots of great 3 and 5 dollar boxes at that con. Hopefully next year! 

Harley and Dale we’re not there this year.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:57 PM, F For Fake said:

Don cracks me up. To be clear, I have tons of respect for his work, and love his comics, but he is such a crank, it's hilarious. I'm sure that he was getting a lot of questions that he found annoying about Duck Tales, since he's such a fanatical stickler about the holy texts of Carl Barks. But still, the fact that he decided to make a sign telling people that "THIS IS NOT DUCK TALES" rather than just saying "Uh, yeah...it's Duck Tales...and prints are only $20" is really something. Take the money and run, Don!

I’ve seen Don Rosa set up in Chicago and planet comicon before and he has always had that sign about “this is not ducktails“

On 3/21/2023 at 2:13 PM, Raze said:

I’ve seen Don Rosa set up in Chicago and planet comicon before and he has always had that sign about “this is not ducktails“

Yeah, he's had it for years, it always makes me laugh. I'm a member of his Facebook group, and he interacts with fans routinely over there. He does great stuff. But he's a bit of an odd duck, so to speak.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:26 AM, sevans1979 said:

I and @KirbyJack can say the same thing, except I haven't bought a "new" comic for over ten years. Dean sold me a couple nice copies of early BatB issues when I was working on completing my BatB #1 - #24 run.