• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hall of Heroes Burglarized
2 2

44 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2023 at 7:40 PM, troy.division said:

Truthfully, most have been to at least one museum in our lifetime with replica / museum-quality casts of dinosaur fossils or replica spacecraft.

That's interesting. I will just say then, that for myself, I wouldn't go to a museum that didn't have at least mostly originals. 2c

On 3/23/2023 at 2:41 PM, Dark Knight said:

It was tough to see during the interview with the owner how emotional he was talking about how it took years of work to put all this up together and now it's been stripped away :frown:

That video immediately changed my impression of the owner and made me really empathize with him.

In the OP video, he seemed pretty chipper but kept going on about how many display cases had been damaged. All I could think was "Really? You're bummed about the display cases?" That would be like me getting my collection stolen and grousing about all the bags and boards I lost.

When I saw the second video and he was choked up talking about the books he lost and his personal connection to them, my heart immediately went out to the guy. He wasn't just some disinterested docent; those were his books!

I really hope he gets everything back, and I actually think his chances are good. Maybe not the She-Hulks, but if those thieving dummies try to move a Captain America #1 with a "Bonnetts Book Store" stamp they will quickly find their room and board furnished by the Elkhart police.

Edited by Off Panel
a word

I have been gone to Elkhart many times. That is where we meet with my parents in law at halfway point.  My kids are riding with their grandparents to Ohio. My wife and I drive home back to Chicago.  It's only 2.5 hours from Chicago to Elkhart.  I never visited that museum but the town is so dull and slight rundown town.  Nothing is excited in Elkhart.  I strongly have suspected both thieves are locals (both guys look white to me) and they may be caught soon. Some books are so rare and I am sure they will be caught.

Edited by JollyComics

On 3/23/2023 at 12:41 PM, Dark Knight said:

Also an idea, but the owner should at the very least take home the expensive books instead of leaving them in the displays overnight... Especially without having insurance to cover for any potential losses/damages.  Hopefully the books can be recovered and thieves caught.  It was tough to see during the interview with the owner how emotional he was talking about how it took years of work to put all this up together and now it's been stripped away :frown:

Not discounting your idea but taking the best books home overnight has it's risks.  They could be damaged if dropped or if you were in a car accident and if some thief knew your pattern they might rob you as you were leaving the museum and now you could be risking your life.

On 3/23/2023 at 6:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Someone answered this question, too. In the case of an LCS, buyers want to inspect the actual product.

A LCS in Vancouver has photocopies of their best books on the wall.  You have to make an appointment to inspect their good books.

On 3/23/2023 at 2:41 PM, Dark Knight said:

Also an idea, but the owner should at the very least take home the expensive books instead of leaving them in the displays overnight... Especially without having insurance to cover for any potential losses/damages.  Hopefully the books can be recovered and thieves caught.  It was tough to see during the interview with the owner how emotional he was talking about how it took years of work to put all this up together and now it's been stripped away :frown:

Taking stuff home every night doesn't really seem practical to me, but yeah, should probably have insurance.  Even alarms and security gates aren't enough.  A while back I owned a computer store and we had a high end alarm system and also a high end security gate in the front and the back for nights.  One time some thieves broke into another building that was in our complex, and which didn't have much security, and then crawled through the ventilation and came down into our store.  Grabbed a bunch of stuff and went back the way they came.  Set off the alarm but they still got away with a bunch of stuff and were never apprehended, but we did get most of it back through insurance.  

On 3/25/2023 at 11:45 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The stolen books:

Reveal hidden contents

2.jpg.b2bcfc1f84fcc8520eefe16ec4456cf8.jpg

No photo description available.

May be an image of text that says '12 THE INCREDIBLE HULK MAY THE STRANGEST IS OF ALL TIME MAN MONSTER 12THE THE INCREDIBLE HULK M "THE TERROR OF THE TOAD MEN! GENERAL! IS BOTH ATTACKING! OTHING TOPU TO THE INCREDIBLE HULK!'

May be an image of text that says 'BUCKY YOUNG TORO ALLIES 64 64PAGE PAGE COMPLETE COMIC ADVENTURE THRILLER COMICS No.1 YOUR AVORITE YOUNG HEROES BUCKY. CAPTAIN AMER AMERICA TORO the TORCH LEAD THEIR INTO THRILL ADVENTURES BOYS FOR DEMOCRACY'

May be an image of text that says 'THE STRANGEST HEROES OF ALL! AFPROV COMIC CODE ND. X-MEN S SEPT. AUTHORITY the MARVEL COMUCS 12$ -MEN THE DON'T MISSTHIS FABULOUS FANTASTIC FIRST ISSUE! FOUR. STYLE! X-MEN VERSUS MAGNETO TO EARTH'S POWERFUL MOST SUPER VILLAIN..'

May be an image of text that says 'ASTONISH AT TALES TO YOU'LL GASP AMAZEMENT RETURN OF ANTMAN!" THE ANT THE MAN!" EADER! MAN THEM COMMANDS YOU!!'

Cap 1 has Bonnett's stamp, both Cap 37 and Giant size X-Men #1 have signatures, the defects on Hulk 1 can be identifiable and TOS 39 has color touch.  How often do we see Young Allies #1?  It's rare so it can be found.  Once all books are found and can be identifiable easily. I hope all books are back to the rightful owner immediately.

On 3/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, JollyComics said:

Cap 1 has Bonnett's stamp, both Cap 37 and Giant size X-Men #1 have signatures, the defects on Hulk 1 can be identifiable and TOS 39 has color touch.  How often do we see Young Allies #1?  It's rare so it can be found.  Once all books are found and can be identifiable easily. I hope all books are back to the rightful owner immediately.

Agreed. Unless the thieves don't resell,  these will be found again

On 3/25/2023 at 11:49 PM, shadroch said:

A helpful hint. 

If you have $200,000 worth of stuff and can't afford insurance- sell some of it and insure the $195,000 you still have. 

Crime sucks.  As does not buying insurance.  I hope it works out for them 

Of course making that claim would probably make your policy no longer financially feasible. 

On 3/22/2023 at 8:01 AM, Robot Man said:

No insurance, cheap, crappy display cases, no security? A disaster just waiting to happen. Sadly, people just don’t pay attention or figure it will never happen to them…:sorry:

Books like that are bound to turn up and hopefully they get them back and the scum that took them are locked up! 

How does a business NOT have insurance on such huge-ticket items???? 

Man, that sucks - thieves! Hope they catch those lowlifes!

On 3/25/2023 at 10:49 PM, shadroch said:

A helpful hint. 

If you have $200,000 worth of stuff and can't afford insurance- sell some of it and insure the $195,000 you still have. 

Crime sucks.  As does not buying insurance.  I hope it works out for them 

This is similar to having millions of dollars in comics yet crowd-funding a documentary about your comics. 

On 3/25/2023 at 1:10 PM, thehumantorch said:

A LCS in Vancouver has photocopies of their best books on the wall.  You have to make an appointment to inspect their good books.

Well, on the one hand, someone like me just wouldn't waste my time. On the other hand, it can't get stolen from the store location.

On 3/25/2023 at 1:10 PM, thehumantorch said:

That's what John Verzyl did.  Had a huge binder of photocopies. 

I don't believe the owner doesn't have the safe box.  

Gary Colabuono kept his ultra-rare old DC ashcan copies in the safe box at the bank for years but you have to make sure to not miss the monthly payment.  Banks can access your safe boxes and sell them off.

Chuck Rozanski's comic book warehouse was burglarized four years ago and I don't believe that he has a safe box but all valuable books are in the glass displays until someone smashed them and snatched the books, similar to Hall of Heroes - similar entry point at the back door. Both have the security cameras.  The lone burglar was arrested for stealing the comic books at Mile High Comics - https://www.9news.com/article/news/crime/arrest-made-in-theft-of-comic-books-worth-49000/73-9e16a225-ea5e-4884-b94b-768d7a2ad8d9   It took about 3 weeks to catch this d-bag.

Hopefully, two burglars will be arrested soon.

It's better to have the safe box(es) at the location or safe box(es) at the bank.

Edited by JollyComics