• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED --- Surfing Alien's honey pot of Golden Age vintage paperbacks and more...20% off anything remaining until closing at 12PM tonight.
1 1

114 posts in this topic

This is my first sales thread on the boards. I'm going to throw up a cross section of cool vintage paperbacks and digests to start.

I'm thinking of featuring some of the great pulp artists who went to the paperbacks when the pulps died in the late 1940's, some Good Girl art (GGA), my favorite collecting area, and maybe some Juvenile Delinquency (JD) books, some mystery and science fiction to round out the mix.

The rules for this thread are:

-No HoS or Probation list buyers

-I will ship to Canada but will have to quote shipping options.

-Payment via Venmo or Paypal preferred. I also can do Zelle although it is a bit more of a pain to do.

-Shipping via USPS Media Mail for $4 or Priority Small Box for $11 for the continental United States.  More than one book I will ship at the least extra cost practicable. Shipping for Canada will be quoted.

-First :takeit: in the thread wins and prevails over pm offers
-Returns accepted for 14 days after delivery but please let me know asap if you are unhappy for any reason and I will make it right. I do miss things occasionally.

Feel free to pm with offer or questions.  I'm always open to reasonable package offers.

I've dealt with a few boardies over the years, and my brand new Kudos thread is here for those that don't know me:

Please feel free to add to that thread if you like your deal

Edited by Surfing Alien

About me: I've been collecting comics since I was kid but mostly collect paperbacks and digests along with some magazines these days due to the high cost of comics and the amazing artistic variety and bang for the buck you get from golden age (1940's-1960's) vintage paperbacks.

I've been buying selling and trading Vintage pb's since the Hancer Price Guide came out back in the 80's. Been on Ebay since 1998 with 100% positive feedback.

I'll start with this beauty.

Down I Go Ben Kerr (William Ard) Popular Library 653 1st Ed      $20   SOLD to gunsmokin

Wonderful, moody GGA cover & back cover by pulp master Rafael DeSoto.  From that great period when Popular had separate paintings done for the back cover.

Very Good Plus - solid square spine, pages tight and supple. A crease around the spine at middle, otherwise minimal creasing and edgewear. A very lightly read copy with a great cover!

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

On 3/24/2023 at 3:11 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I'll start with this beauty.

Down I Go Ben Kerr (William Ard) Popular Library 653 1st Ed      $20

Wonderful, moody GGA cover & back cover by pulp master Rafael DeSoto.  From that great period when Popular had separate paintings done for the back cover.

Very Good Plus - solid square spine, pages tight and supple. A crease around the spine at middle, otherwise minimal creasing and edgewear. A very lightly read copy with a great cover!

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

Take

Another beauty by DeSoto

Walk A Wicked Mile Robert Hansen Popular Library 774     $10     Sold to OuterboroGuy

Very good. Solid spine, has slight slant. Pages slightly uneven but still tight in the binding and supple. Light readers crease but no other significant creasing. A nicely presenting copy.

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler
Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

Ace D-21 Nightshade by John N. Makris & High Stakes by Lester Dent   $25 SOLD to OtherEric

Norman Saunders cover

Very Good/Very Good Plus  Solid straight binding, pages are supple, slightly uneven from factory. Covers glossy and bright with minimal creasing and wear. A superior  copy of a classic early Ace Double vintage paperback

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

Tales of Chinatown Sax Rohmer Popular Library 217    $35   SOLD to ArkhamCastle

Iconic Rudolph Belarski GGA cover art. One of the most recognized and reprinted covers in the Vintage Paperback hobby.

Very Good/Very Good+  Solid tight binding, binding has slight slant, pages tight and supple. Slight factory miscut. Only a hint of creasing and edgewear. Overall a superior copy of a classic cover

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

On 3/24/2023 at 4:22 PM, Surfing Alien said:
Tales of Chinatown Sax Rohmer Popular Library 217    $35

Iconic Rudolph Belarski GGA cover art. One of the most recognized and reprinted covers in the Vintage Paperback hobby.

Very Good/Very Good+  Solid tight binding, binding has slight slant, pages tight and supple. Slight factory miscut. Only a hint of creasing and edgewear. Overall a superior copy of a classic cover

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

take

On 3/24/2023 at 4:14 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Thank you Sir! Great taste!

The Hangman's Whip Mignon G. Eberhart Popular Library 293      $20   Sold to OuterboroGuy

Classic vintage Popular Library mystery novel with a wonderful GGA pulp style cover by Rudolph Belarski

Very Good. Binding is solid and tight with slight lean. Light creases and overall wear. A very nicely  presenting copy of a tough black cover vintage Popular Library paperback

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

Macamba Lilla Van Saher Popular Library 233      $20   Sold to OuterboroGuy

Classic Bare Breasted GGA cover by Rudolph Belarski

Very Good/Very Good+ Solid square binding. The book appears very lightly read. Some very light surface creases and edgewear. A very nice presenting copy of a vintage Popular Library paperback

Spoiler

image.png.94cdf89da00582e8b02d8de1011bcf88.png

Spoiler

image.png.76c9cd0fd3795260518e42e525fbf07d.png

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

Revolt of the Triffids John Wyndham Popular Library 411     $15  SOLD to alecholland

One of Earle K. Bergey's most famous paperback covers

Very Good minus. Spine is solid but slanted, pages tight with some uneveness. Light cover creasing and wear. Presents well and is a great entry copy (and priced as such)
Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

On 3/24/2023 at 3:34 PM, Surfing Alien said:
Revolt of the Triffids John Wyndham Popular Library 411     $15

One of Earle K. Bergey's most famous paperback covers

Very Good minus. Spine is solid but slanted, pages tight with some uneveness. Light cover creasing and wear. Presents well and is a great entry copy (and priced as such)

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

:takeit:

The Cut of the Whip Peter Rabe & Kill One Kill Two Robert H. Kelston Ace #D297        $20 SOLD to OtherEric

Beautiful Harry Barton GGA cover art on "Cut",  looks like Lou Marchetti on "Kill"

Very Good/Very Good Plus. Solid spine, pages tight and supple. Minimal creasing, mostly to spine, a bit of spine wear and aging but overall very attractive. 

For those who know (or don't know), these Ace Mystery doubles are infinitely tougher to find than the Science Fiction doubles, which seem to have been hoarded as Sci-Fi collectors were wont to do with every piece of paper they possessed lol!
Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

Ace D 23 Bring Back Her Body  Stuart Brock (aka Louis Trimble) PBO & Passing Strange Richard Sale      $25 SOLD to OtherEric

Sweet Dangerous Dame cover art on the Trimble PBO. "Passing Strange" looks like DeSoto to me but it remains uncredited.

Very Good/Very Good Plus  Solid straight binding, pages are supple. Covers glossy and bright with minimal creasing and wear. Would be straight VG+ if not for that crease on the upper right corner of "Passing Strange"    Still a very nice copy of an early Ace Double vintage paperback

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

Two Sinners Lee Jackquin Stork Original Novel No. 8       $60

Very Rare Vintage Digest Paperback with a classic L.B.Cole painted sleaze romance cover in nice shape for these. These Stork Novel Books were printed on cheap paper and are very tough to find in nice shape. Ridiculously cheap compared to what his comics go for.

Cole's cover colors are bright and bold on this 1950 digest paperback just as they are on his comic book cover art.

Very Good with many Very Good+ qualities on the front cover.  Nicest copy I had seen in years until I found my current copy. Bright colors. Solid staplebound spine, has some rust on staples as usual. No significant creasing. Soiling on back cover as usual. Tanning to pages and cover but still very supple. Tear on title page. A  very nice presenting copy that I'm happy to keep in my pile if it doesn't sell.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

Fool For Love by Wright Williams Croydon Love Novel 15         $40

L.B.Cole painted sleaze romance cover in decent shape. I've found this to be by far the scarcest of the 4 small format paperbacks Cole did for Croydon. These Croydon Books were also printed on cheap paper and are very tough to find in nice shape.

Very Good  Nice copy. Bright colors. Square solid spine, some staining on spine as shown. No significant creasing, only tiny corner  creases as shown. Soiling on back cover. Still a very nice presenting copy.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4