• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does anyone have the problem of...

22 posts in this topic

buying certain issues over and over just because they're priced right?

When I see certain BA books in decent shape in dollar bins I just don't seem to be able to control myself. Some of these I probably have 5 copies of by now. Some, maybe even more. I am particularly prone to buying the Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel Presents books, the Morbius Adventure into Fears and the Deathlok Astonishing Tales books as well as 20 cent cover price Jack Kirby Kamandi and Demon issues. It's like I'm stuck in the early/mid 90s when these books were sort of hot. Uhg, I just can't help myself!!

(These aren't the only books I buy, I buy pretty much everything else, but those other purchases are a bit more rational... though I'm very proud, I think I didn't buy any Defenders or Marvel-Two-In-Ones at the last show!)

For no real reason, there are a handful of issues that I buy if the price is right, no matter how many copies I have. They include: Creepy 11; Batman 222, 227 & 237; Detective 395; X-Men 101, 108 & 142; and House of Mystery 236 & 256.

For no real reason, there are a handful of issues that I buy if the price is right, no matter how many copies I have. They include: Creepy 11; Batman 222, 227 & 237; Detective 395; X-Men 101, 108 & 142; and House of Mystery 236 & 256.

Andy, it surprises me how many common traits we have with collecting. I am the same way, there are certain issues that I will buy every time I see them (if the price is right) regardless of how many copies I already have. Heck, for a while HoM #200 was my favorite. I think I have eight of those damn books, while some of the surrounding issues of which I don't care for the cover, I have none.

Andy, it surprises me how many common traits we have with collecting. I am the same way, there are certain issues that I will buy every time I see them (if the price is right) regardless of how many copies I already have. Heck, for a while HoM #200 was my favorite. I think I have eight of those damn books, while some of the surrounding issues of which I don't care for the cover, I have none.

So, you willing to let go of a high grade issue of HoM #200?

I have a 9.6 (old label) Cream to Off-White I am selling for $135 shipped.

I have 6 copies of Joker 7, but only because I have been looking for a solid 9.4+, finally got one. And, 3 copies of Sherlock Holmes, still looking for a 9.4 of that one. Otherwise the only issues I buy double of is by pure accident because I have been too lazy to enter books into my database frustrated.gif

I will buy multiple issues of things I already have but it has to be a bargain price or I can pass them up all day long. There's nothing that I would buy multiples of by paying FMV for each one. A price that's too good to pass up is necessary for me.

I have a 9.6 (old label) Cream to Off-White I am selling for $135 shipped.

hm I might just have to consider that. If you haven't sold it by 12/1/2005 let me know.

You mean hoarding? Yes, I hoard, and it's a problem, but not a serious one. If a book has value either to the market or you personally, I see no reason not to pick one up if the price is right..

I have 6 copies of Joker 7, but only because I have been looking for a solid 9.4+, finally got one. And, 3 copies of Sherlock Holmes, still looking for a 9.4 of that one. Otherwise the only issues I buy double of is by pure accident because I have been too lazy to enter books into my database frustrated.gif

You're a child of the 70s aren't you? thumbsup2.gif

Jim

You mean hoarding? Yes, I hoard, and it's a problem, but not a serious one. If a book has value either to the market or you personally, I see no reason not to pick one up if the price is right..

I do hoard. When the right comic comes along at the right price it only makes sense to.

I meant 7 copies of Joker 6. Is dyslexia a product of the 70's? Or my fascination with Holmes? Late 70's, but yeah.

A certain age, CBG calls it a "golden Age" seems to attract more than others. I seem to have a ungodly amount of early 70s FF. But that was the title I remember fondly. Collectors seem to hoard, separate from the established keys, those comics that gave them comfort as a child...

Jim

strangely enough, i only remember the morbius stuff from when i was a kid. deathlok, guardians of the galaxy and the kirby DC books weren't things i read then. In part I think it's because I got back into collecting seriously in about 1992/93 after being out of it for a few years and those BA books were sort of hot then and I'd get a thrill out of getting them cheap. 13 years later, i still have the same habits.

i've kicked my habit of routinely buying Marvel Team-Up, Two-In-One and Defenders when priced right. Those were comics I read as a kid. Now it needs to be a tremendous deal for me to buy.

Mind you, it's all about being priced right. I'm not paying guide or anything, but when it's a 30+/- year old comic fitting the right criteria in nice shape I just can't stop myself from shelling out that 50 cents or a buck. As for Demon and Kamandi... yeah I know, I need to stop. Although I have sold some Demon comics recently. I haven't tried selling any Kamandis. One of these days there'll be a Jack Kirby movie and those are sure to explode!

Anyway, what I need to do is take inventory of what I have (my comics aren't organized). When I see 9 copies of Marvel Presents #8 back to back, etc that'll make me quit cold turkey!

....or, after you take them out of their bags and look them over carefully, you might discover you still need another copy to beat all the 9.0s and 8.0s they really are!! Lots and lots of 70s books only LOOK Near Mint until you look closely .... dirty backs, lottle nicks and folds, corner creases etc.. makes you scream!