• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my: More Fun Comics #49 & SSC #36!!!

39 posts in this topic

Sorry the scans didn't come out that great, Don't blame me. Blame Photobucket. They bite. Anyway, I need some 3rd party grading opinions on these two books. The More Fun #49 has incredible color I must say. cloud9.gif

Enjoy! yeahok.gif

The More Fun Comics has it's cover detached from the top staple only. The top staple is there, but just not attached to the cover. Everything else about the staples is good, and the bottom staple is good all the way around. No rust at all. They are really well attached to the centerfold.

MoreFunComics49.jpg

MoreFunComics49Bk.jpg

ssc36.jpg

ssc36bk.jpg

I'm suprised you guys were so tough on these books. Really suprised actually. I even broke out the ol' OS grading guide and found a good example of my book on page 272 (it's a More Fun book also). That book is in fact in worse that mine because it has severly rusted staples and some soiling and it comes in at a 3.0. It's got the same defects such as pencilling, missing corner and spine dings...just in addition to much worse staples and soiling. I graded this book at a 3.5, and to be honest going by the OS grading guide example would be tempted to say that 4.0 is not out of the question given how rusty the staples were in a 3.0. I'm just saying if the book on pg 272 came out as a 3.0, how could mine get the same grade let alone a worse one?

Thanks for the grades nonetheless guys!

I was trying to extrapolate page quality from the scans. Also, they were a touch small, so I am assuming magnification of problems, that I see with your scans. Please I am bastich, when it comes to grading.

27_laughing.gif, it's okay. I'm just wondering how people are coming up with such low grades. It's not by following OS standards, because by OS standards this would be a 3.5 (by comparison with 3.0's in the guide). I'm just curious as to the justification of a 2.0 or 2.5. juggle.gif

Is it from the old 1992 OS guide? If so then you have your answer.

...it's the 2003 OS guide. I'm curious; do you follow OS grading standards? I'm not trying to sound mean, sarcastic or anything at all, I'm really just wondering what set of standards you grade by since it seems like it's not the OS ones. Just a question and nothing more.

Thanks again for the grades.

I'm suprised you guys were so tough on these books. Really suprised actually. I even broke out the ol' OS grading guide and found a good example of my book on page 272 (it's a More Fun book also). That book is in fact in worse that mine because it has severly rusted staples and some soiling and it comes in at a 3.0. It's got the same defects such as pencilling, missing corner and spine dings...just in addition to much worse staples and soiling. I graded this book at a 3.5, and to be honest going by the OS grading guide example would be tempted to say that 4.0 is not out of the question given how rusty the staples were in a 3.0. I'm just saying if the book on pg 272 came out as a 3.0, how could mine get the same grade let alone a worse one?

Yes, the 3.0 More Fun on p. 272 of the OGG has severely rusted staples, but that does not mean that every book without rusted staples is better than a 3.0 makepoint.gif Also the book on p. 372 has an abraded corner - not a 3/8" by 1/2" chunk missing from the corner makepoint.gif

No disrespect intended King, but your More Fun book is probably a 2.5, and certainly no more than a 3.0 sumo.gif And STILL, a great book to have grin.gif Does it smell like newsprint? And what's the PQ like? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, the 3.0 More Fun on p. 272 of the OGG has severely rusted staples, but that does not mean that every book without rusted staples is better than a 3.0 makepoint.gif Also the book on p. 372 has an abraded corner - not a 3/8" by 1/2" chunk missing from the corner makepoint.gif

No disrespect intended King, but your More Fun book is probably a 2.5, and certainly no more than a 3.0 sumo.gif And STILL, a great book to have grin.gif Does it smell like newsprint? And what's the PQ like? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I never said that a book without rusted staples has to be more than a 3.0. But in this case I would say that my book is better. They have about equal spine damage. Equal pencilling damage. Equal amount of minor chipping. My bottom right corner is worse. The OS' More Fun has much worse staples which I think detract more to the grade than the corner damage mine has. I think my book is better than the one pictured in the guide, plain and simple.

Page quality is nice. Except that one corner of course because it has been exposed to the elements more. But as for the pages in general it'll probably come in at cream to off-white, although I'm not sure since I don't have one of the page color guide thingies. And the book smells a little bit dusty.

Well, as I said. I am bastich when it comes to grading. I think, you have yourself a nice set of books there and should be proud to have them. The cover is credited to Creig Flessel. Flessel is the man, in my opinion, when it comes to adventure-type covers. Sandman's as well but those really aren't my favorite.