• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Registry Awards
4 4

63 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Get Your Sets Ready for the 2023 CGC Registry Awards!

Posted on 4/4/2023

Every year, CGC awards the top sets in the CGC Registry. Put your best set forward by 5 p.m. EST on June 23, 2023 to be automatically considered for awards. Winners will be announced on July 21, 2023.

CGC_Registry_ARTICLE20230404115934335.pn

The CGC Registry is a free online platform where collectors from around the world register and display their CGC-certified collectibles and compete against each other for recognition and prizes. With more than 7,000 participants, 92,000 sets and 600,000 collectibles, this resource grows in popularity each year.

For 2023, CGC is awarding prizes valued at more than $16,000 to Registry Awards winners! As well, we’re pleased to announce that we’ve expanded the number of awards given in the major categories. Winners of major CGC Registry Awards receive a personalized plaque, an icon of recognition next to their CGC Registry set and a $500 CGC grading credit. Winners will also have the option to print a certificate of achievement through their My Account page.

Based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback we received last year, we’re very excited to continue awarding Signature Series books as part of the winners’ prize package. This year, winners will receive a CGC-certified Batman #125 Alex Ross variant signed by Alex Ross — featuring a special label and pedigree — valued at $200!

image%20(9)20230404131907174.png

Prizes will be awarded for the following major categories:

• The Three Best Golden Age Sets (comics published starting with Action Comics #1 June 1938–1959)
  • The Three Best Silver Age Sets (comics published 1960–1969)
  • The Three Best Bronze Age Sets (comics published 1970–1979)
  • The Three Best Copper Age Sets (comics published 1980–1989)
  • The Three Best Modern Age Sets (comics published 1990–present)
  • The Two Best Presented Sets (sets with the best descriptive text and images)
  • The Two Best Magazine Sets
  • The Two Best Custom Sets
  • The Two Best Signature Series Sets
  • One Collector for the John Verzyl Sr. Registry Masterpiece Award (based on a collector’s overall collection of Registry sets)

Overall quality, balance and completion will all be important considerations — in addition to a set’s score — when judging sets in competitive categories. Private sets will not be considered for awards.

To participate, enter your set online in the CGC Registry by 5 p.m. EST on June 23, 2023. Winners will be announced on July 21, 2023.

CGC Chat Board Awards

In addition to the CGC Registry Awards, CGC will recognize three outstanding contributors to the CGC Chat Boards. The CGC Chat Boards are a vibrant community where collectors can come together to share their passion for comic books. It is a resource created and maintained by you, the collector, and the CGC awards would not be complete without recognition of the top contributors. In determining the winners for the CGC Chat Board Awards, we will consider a forumite’s complete history of posts. The winning forumites will receive a personalized plaque.

To view the CGC Chat Boards, click here.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:12 PM, Axe Elf said:

Cool, where do we nominate ourselves?

I guess I kind of already did...  Let's make it official!

• Administrator
On 4/9/2023 at 12:03 AM, Murdo81 said:

is there a separate set for signature series submissions or will that be judged in the individual sets?

Here is last year's signature Series winner.

Best Signature Series Set
Best Signature Series Set Logo

Sauce Dog – Moonlit Nostalgia Moon Knight Vol 2 (1985)
The second volume of Marc Spector’s life as the Moon Knight finds him abandoning it. With Marlene Alraune at his side actively threatening an ultimatum if he picks up the cloak again, Marc has chosen to settle into the life of a philanthropic millionaire. Things go well until Khonshu brings Specter back to Egypt to reinforce their relationship as new enemies arise. Spector must once again become Moon Knight, the Fist of Khonshu!

Though short-lived at only six issues due to an abrupt cancellation, Fist of Khonshu is a potent series full of great writing with Alan Zelenetz for the first four issues, and Chris Warner – pulling double duty as the series penciller throughout – Jo Duffy, and Jim Owsley scripting for the last two.

Sauce Dog put together this mighty little Moon Knight set in a straight run of 9.8, but the work had only just begun. Sauce Dog decided to make it even better by adding Signature Series to each issue! Moon Knight creator Doug Moench has signed all six books of the Moonlight Nostalgia set, and Sauce Dog has displayed them in high resolution along with great owner comments in the set gallery.

Great writing from Sauce Dog is also included in the presentation of The Moonlit Nostalgia set, giving more details about the issues themselves as well as great look into how Sauce Dog was first introduced to Moon Knight and why this was the set to collect! All of this is wrapped up in great custom graphics; this set really pops and we’d like to invite anyone to take a look at it.

Signature Series is part of the heart and soul of CGC, and those who like to add the iconic Signature Series yellow labels to their collection are some of the most dedicated collectors we’ve met! Sauce Dog is certainly among them and it really shows in the Moonlit Nostalgia set!

We’re excited to award Sauce Dog with the Best in Signature Series award for the Moonlit Nostalgia Moon Knight Volume 2 set! Sauce Dog joins fellow registry user jcronin in being the first to receive an award for a Moon Knight set! Congratulations for all the fantastic work!

On 4/10/2023 at 10:38 AM, CGC Mike said:

Here is last year's signature Series winner.

Best Signature Series Set
Best Signature Series Set Logo

Sauce Dog – Moonlit Nostalgia Moon Knight Vol 2 (1985)
The second volume of Marc Spector’s life as the Moon Knight finds him abandoning it. With Marlene Alraune at his side actively threatening an ultimatum if he picks up the cloak again, Marc has chosen to settle into the life of a philanthropic millionaire. Things go well until Khonshu brings Specter back to Egypt to reinforce their relationship as new enemies arise. Spector must once again become Moon Knight, the Fist of Khonshu!

Though short-lived at only six issues due to an abrupt cancellation, Fist of Khonshu is a potent series full of great writing with Alan Zelenetz for the first four issues, and Chris Warner – pulling double duty as the series penciller throughout – Jo Duffy, and Jim Owsley scripting for the last two.

Sauce Dog put together this mighty little Moon Knight set in a straight run of 9.8, but the work had only just begun. Sauce Dog decided to make it even better by adding Signature Series to each issue! Moon Knight creator Doug Moench has signed all six books of the Moonlight Nostalgia set, and Sauce Dog has displayed them in high resolution along with great owner comments in the set gallery.

Great writing from Sauce Dog is also included in the presentation of The Moonlit Nostalgia set, giving more details about the issues themselves as well as great look into how Sauce Dog was first introduced to Moon Knight and why this was the set to collect! All of this is wrapped up in great custom graphics; this set really pops and we’d like to invite anyone to take a look at it.

Signature Series is part of the heart and soul of CGC, and those who like to add the iconic Signature Series yellow labels to their collection are some of the most dedicated collectors we’ve met! Sauce Dog is certainly among them and it really shows in the Moonlit Nostalgia set!

We’re excited to award Sauce Dog with the Best in Signature Series award for the Moonlit Nostalgia Moon Knight Volume 2 set! Sauce Dog joins fellow registry user jcronin in being the first to receive an award for a Moon Knight set! Congratulations for all the fantastic work!

So Does it have to be a complete signature set to be in the run or not?  My Ronin set is nearly 233 books to be completed which I am about halfway there.

• Administrator
On 4/10/2023 at 5:45 AM, Murdo81 said:

So Does it have to be a complete signature set to be in the run or not?  My Ronin set is nearly 233 books to be completed which I am about halfway there.

I am not a judge for the registry awards.  However, I do not believe it has to be a complete set to be "in the run".  

thank you

On 4/11/2023 at 11:12 AM, CGC Mike said:

I am not a judge for the registry awards.  However, I do not believe it has to be a complete set to be "in the run".  

Do we just need to have a set in the registry to enter automatically, or is there something that needs to be filled out to make our set eligible??? Or do we need to put the set into a specific category? I'm not really understanding the way this works and I want to participate. Thanks so much. 

On 5/13/2023 at 9:25 PM, DrMitchJ said:

Do we just need to have a set in the registry to enter automatically, or is there something that needs to be filled out to make our set eligible??? Or do we need to put the set into a specific category? I'm not really understanding the way this works and I want to participate. Thanks so much. 

@wytshus question inbound :) 

On 5/13/2023 at 10:25 PM, DrMitchJ said:

As long as your set is marked as public, it is eligible. We do not give awards to private sets.

My 2 cents - Please revise the scoring system to simply match the score. So a 9.8 gives you 9.8 points, a 7.0 gives you 7.0 points, etc... This way you are rewarded but not overly rewarded for higher grades but can compete with complete sets which drives more "collecting" behavior. 

As an example: My Marvel Preview set as an example should be ranked much higher than those entered based on all 9+ and almost complete. One key 9.8 shouldn't set you at the top for registry. The reward for rare highly graded keys is the price they bring. I think this is why you have limited participation on registry. Many collectors don't see the value in adding their information when they get ruled out by one 9.8 comic in another incomplete collection. And my suggestion would still give a full 9.8 set the win and if there were multiple all 9.8 sets you could reward for content to break a tie or just give the tie to two great collectors. To elaborate: There are 25 entry opportunities for Marvel Preview. My mix of 9+ would give me a set score of 224.5 while someone with all 9.8 & one 6.0 would score 241.2 given there are 25 opportunities to score in this set. And if someone collected all 25 at 9.8 they'd win at 245 points. 

I feel the CGC scoring system for registry is broken. It's a great opportunity to bring more folks into the fold if changed. 

The example being.... my mix of 9+ would give me a set score of 224.5 while someone with all 9.8 & 1 6.0 would score 241.2 given there are 25 opportunities to score in this set. 

I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest another strategy around scoring and I hope the collection & registry team takes this to heart and makes a revision of some sort. 

Thank you for your consideration,

NC

• Administrator
On 5/23/2023 at 11:05 AM, DNGPEREY said:

I Have a competitive set in Spawn (Complete with Variants) and ranked #2. CanI enter this set into 2023 CGC Registry Awards contest? How do I enter?

As long as your set is marked public, it is eligible.