• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel & DC? Bahh! Please grade my Charlton Blue Beetle #1

15 posts in this topic

Hello all.

Tired of grading Marvel and DC Comics? Well do I have the post for you. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Seriously, if you kind folks wouldn't mind giving me a grade on this book I'd appreciate it. The pages are fantastic and the cover gloss is the best I have ever seen on a Silver Age book. Some of the interior pages in the middle are wider than the rest which is weird. Almost as if the pages were originally trimmed seperately and then the book was stapled.

The only other flaw that is not visible in the scan are some very faint but long impression lines across the front cover almost as if someone was drawing on a piece of paper on top of the comic.

Thanks for taking a look.

bbfront.jpg

bbback.jpg

That's a nice book. I would say 8.0 but you know you are going to hear some yahoo say its trimmed. So, 7.5.

That yahoo is me. Looks very trimmed on my screen. By a very bad trimmer as well. The cover is miswraped with the bottom of corner being the part that is the most severe miswraped section. It should be juting out farther than the top corner, but in fact is covering less of the book than the top corner is. Clear giveaway that a large amount of this book was cut off.

sorry.gif

But if it was trimmed then why wouldn't the trimmer/doofus also trim the interior pages to line up with the front cover's edge?

Or did I answer my own question with the doofus remark? thumbsup2.gif

Also interesting is this picture I found of another BB. Notice it has the same off centre cut that mine does.

Blue%20Beetle%20%231.jpg

But if it was trimmed then why wouldn't the trimmer/doofus also trim the interior pages to line up with the front cover's edge?

Or did I answer my own question with the doofus remark? thumbsup2.gif

Also interesting is this picture I found of another BB. Notice it has the same off centre cut that mine does.

Blue%20Beetle%20%231.jpg

Charlton wasn't known for it's production quality.

I'll pay you OS guide 7.0 for it devil.gif

With all due respect to my brethern (and dungeon) this book is at least an 8.5 if not higher - you guys need to get away from your monitors and look at some real books sumo.gif

NOTE: GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting . . .

27_laughing.gif

Some of the interior pages in the middle are wider than the rest which is weird. Almost as if the pages were originally trimmed seperately and then the book was stapled.

Bad QP, but probably not trimmed - where did you get the book?

The only other flaw that is not visible in the scan are some very faint but long impression lines across the front cover almost as if someone was drawing on a piece of paper on top of the comic.

These however can kill the grade a full point . . . depending on severity 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry guys and gals. Looks like the other scan of a Blue Beetle I linked to is gone. I guess I should have downloaded the image and hosted it myself. confused-smiley-013.gif

I bought the book off eBay for the handsome sum of $50. After my Iron Man #1 8.5 / 9.0 mess I was really surprised that this book arrived in such nice condition. The cover gloss and overall feel of the book in person is great. It feels tight and unread. It is too bad about the dings in the top corner and the other flaws but it was still a nice purchase I think.

Ubie X