• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #36V2 w/ and w/o Fingerprints - Plus how do you clean/ remove fingerprints
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Can you please grade my ASM #36V2?

I seem to have added fingerprints while gently examining the book.  Washed, clean, dry hands.  Yet I seem to have done this.

Granted I would think this black cover is highly prone to finger prints.... And I think I recall other books having them and then disappearing on their own?

So I have 2 questions.  What grade would you give this book as-is with visible fingerprints and what grade if the finger prints dissolve away?

Can these type of finger prints be cleaned off the cover?  Would the heat and process of pressing do that?

Thank you!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Start with a dry microfiber cloth. If the fingerprints are recent(ish) they should come off easily with a little careful elbow grease. I learned this from modern foil covers, which are horrendous when it comes to showing prints.

If the fingerprints are older (say, a few years), you unfortunately might be out of luck. Can't comment on heat from pressing, but dry cleaning may possibly help. Black covers are...tricky.

That said, If they clean off I'd go 9.2 for this. Some wear around the edges and I think I see a spine tick or two on the FC. Some faint creasing too, so a C&P would probably be helpful. If the fingerprints don't come off...I'm not entirely sure, but I'd heard CGC can hammer them pretty bad. I'll tentatively say 8.5 but if they're treated like stains it could knock it down further. 

It's going to depend a lot on what the fingerprints are. I've got a book where the black ink was partially lifted with a finger. Not much you can do about that except have a creator sign or sketch over it. If it's a little bit of oil maybe it can be cleaned a bit. I'd want to be careful to prevent smudging or scuffing the ink since the black cover is going to show everything. I don't even want to go look at my copy too closely.

Edited by scburdet

9.0/9.2 as is.

C&P for 9.4. If the fingerprints aren't too old they should come off.

Thanks for posting.