• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Batman 404
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Thank you in advance for everybody that has commented on my past few posts and thank you in advance to anyone who comments on this.

Back when this issue came out I worked at a store that carried comics. A comic speculating friend thought this issue was going to be a big deal and wanted to buy multiple copies. So I made a super large order for this issue (much to the magazine distributor's puzzlement) and when they arrived I took 'em hand so they have never been 'on-the-racks'. I kept 12 of them, BTW! And still have them!

Is this a reasonable candidate for a 9.8? Would it likely get there if pressed? Does that seem worthwhile?

I have little experience with pressing. My experience sending multiple copies of 'As New' books to CGC was that what I thought was an "as New' Book might end up being a 9.2 or even less. Multiple copies of the same book bought at the same time by a 'collector' who didn't read them but put them immediately into plastic bags and boxes resulted in a CGC rating of between 8.5 and 9.6! I have a lot of experience with comics, but frankly I could see no difference between the 9.2s and the 9.6s.

Since I have 12 I decided it might be time to do something about them. I'll post a 2nd copy as well with slightly different flaws.

IMG_9748.JPG

IMG_9749.JPG

IMG_9750.JPG

IMG_9752.JPG

IMG_9753.JPG

I don't see this as a 9.8. 9.2±0.2 after pressing. You won't see readily noticeable defects on a 9.8. There's definitely a stress mark with a little color breaking & maybe the smallest of chips out of the top edge. That alone would be enough to go below 9.8. Although there always seems to be books that defy the odds and score higher.

The book would definitely benefit from a press and cleaning in my opinion. The "chip" at the top of the book is consistent with the bindery wraps when they bundled the books for shipping. This chip appears on your other copy as well. These two books were likely at the top or bottom of the bundle. I have this book at 9.2 as well. Like the other book I think a clean and press will get a grade bump to 9.4 and possibly 9.6 but no higher in my opinion.

Very nice copies!

Yes, as others have said this book won't be able to hit a 9.8. It will benefit from a press though and will probably score in the 9s. 9.2-9.4 is likely, 9.6 possible. That's assuming the pressing does what I think it will. 9.8 impossible baring a miracle from the comic book Gods. lol When it comes to the difference between a 9.8, 9.6, 9.4... you're talking a SINGLE little white mark on the spine of the book (spine tick) or some other very small and very minor defect usually. 

On 4/27/2023 at 9:35 AM, SolidShredder said:

Yes, as others have said this book won't be able to hit a 9.8. It will benefit from a press though and will probably score in the 9s. 9.2-9.4 is likely, 9.6 possible. That's assuming the pressing does what I think it will. 9.8 impossible baring a miracle from the comic book Gods. lol When it comes to the difference between a 9.8, 9.6, 9.4... you're talking a SINGLE little white mark on the spine of the book (spine tick) or some other very small and very minor defect usually. 

Thanks for your input!