• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate spiderman #1 White Variant

111 posts in this topic

JC, what does mean something to you? confused-smiley-013.gif Just curious.

Seriously.

I don't think I've ever heard you talk about what you collect or post scans of your comic collection or show an interest in anything.

He is partial to Byrne X-Men... gossip.gif

It's 102 straight issues. Lee/Kirby did FF #1-102. Romiya filled in for a couple issues and a Lee/Kirby filler story was used for #108...

Jim

893scratchchin-thumb.gif So Bendis/Bagley are closer to this "record" than I thought. I wonder when the marketing campaign starts... insane.gif

It's 102 straight issues. Lee/Kirby did FF #1-102. Romiya filled in for a couple issues and a Lee/Kirby filler story was used for #108...

Jim

893scratchchin-thumb.gif So Bendis/Bagley are closer to this "record" than I thought. I wonder when the marketing campaign starts... insane.gif

I think it already has to some extent; and of course they have been hyping up #100 for several months now.

They've still got 5-6 more years to go before they match Lee and Kirby's record.

They're be at #87 this month. A little over a year and they've broken the record... confused-smiley-013.gif

Come on Jim, what do numbers mean these days? Nothing.

Marvel and DC have gone to weekly publications in the past, and like I stated before, anyone with money could print 100+ indy comic issues (in a short period of time) and (cough) break the record.

In my book, longevity is the key, and if Bendis and Bagley do stay on 12 years to break the Lee/Kirby record, then I'll be first in line to offer my congratulations. Otherwise, it's just a big pile of hype-ridden BS.

They've still got 5-6 more years to go before they match Lee and Kirby's record.

They're be at #87 this month. A little over a year and they've broken the record... confused-smiley-013.gif

Come on Jim, what do numbers mean these days? Nothing.

Marvel and DC have gone to weekly publications in the past, and like I stated before, anyone with money could print 100+ indy comic issues (in a short period of time) and (cough) break the record.

In my book, longevity is the key, and if Bendis and Bagley do stay on 12 years to break the Lee/Kirby record, then I'll be first in line to offer my congratulations. Otherwise, it's just a big pile of hype-ridden BS.

But no one will remember that...all they'll remember is the numbers. And the numbers will favor the Bendia/Bagley run if they keep it up. Only very old time collectors will appreciate, and remember, the FF run as the definitive run...and that won't make a difference as the "newbies" will be hailing USM run as the run that matters..

Jim

Personally I doubt too many people will give a rat's hass either way.

I disagree...I think it'll be hyped to death by Marvel and any other company that comes close in the future...regardless whether the comic is a weekly, bi-weekly, or a monthly....

Jim

How many issues of Flash did Johns do?

As for numbers not mattering ..... since when have numbers not mattered? confused-smiley-013.gif

Everything in this world has to do with numbers; even if its in terms of money, its still numbers.

I gotta say, I will be more impressed with a creative team doing 150 or so consecutive books than I would a team staying with a title for 10+ years. Unless of course they produced a massive amount of books in that time.

Why? Because think about it. If its a monthly book, 12 years means 144 books. Yeah, that's impressive, but to get out 100 issues or so in less than 6 years? Sure, it may not take as long to produce a single issue now as it did in the Silver Age; but would Michael Turner or whoever has been doing Secret War be able to put out 100 issues in 6 years? No. Heck, lately we've been lucky to see 8 issues of certain titles in 12 months time. I think with all the other work Bendis has been doing lately, that getting out 100+ issues in 6 years is pretty impressive.

Now, here's a thought. Bendis, before New Avengers began, said that he guaranteed the new series would run 500 issues. Do you think he plans to do all 500 issues? To be honest, I wouldn't mind, and would find that a HUGE accomplishment.

I gotta say, I will be more impressed with a creative team doing 150 or so consecutive books than I would a team staying with a title for 10+ years. Unless of course they produced a massive amount of books in that time.

Why? Because think about it. If its a monthly book, 12 years means 144 books. Yeah, that's impressive, but to get out 100 issues or so in less than 6 years? Sure, it may not take as long to produce a single issue now as it did in the Silver Age; but would Michael Turner or whoever has been doing Secret War be able to put out 100 issues in 6 years? No. Heck, lately we've been lucky to see 8 issues of certain titles in 12 months time. I think with all the other work Bendis has been doing lately, that getting out 100+ issues in 6 years is pretty impressive.

Please. The way Bendis writes, it takes 6 years just to get through an arc, and 6 minutes to read one issue insane.gif

Please. The way Bendis writes, it takes 6 years just to get through an arc, and 6 minutes to read one issue insane.gif

6 minutes to read one issue... I'll agree with that. Still, the writer does more than just the dialogue. Theres the layout as well, which I enjoy most of the time.

I gotta say, I will be more impressed with a creative team doing 150 or so consecutive books than I would a team staying with a title for 10+ years.

You Knobgobbler, are a Modern Age Fanboy, and you'd lick Bendis' feet if he asked you. Heck, even if he didn't you'd likely give it a shot.

Yeah, in the first 80+ issues, Bendis has probably written as much actual story as the first 15-20 issues of ASM.

And I am not joking.

I gotta say, I will be more impressed with a creative team doing 150 or so consecutive books than I would a team staying with a title for 10+ years.

You Knobgobbler, are a Modern Age Fanboy, and you'd lick Bendis' feet if he asked you. Heck, even if he didn't you'd likely give it a shot.

I thought Modern Agers spell it 'fanboi'? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif