• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 13
2 2

23 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2023 at 8:12 PM, scburdet said:

Is it just me, or is that a Corner piece from a different spider-man comic taped on?

So if I did buy this comic off the person selling this could I cut it out and then send to cgc to get graded with it get a restoration grade. I want to collect the early issues of ASM and I’m going to have to compromise with the grade due to the cost of the ASM keys  

Totally understand the cost to collect limitations. I think this is a great option to own an expensive issue, but not sure I would grade it. To me, it would be optimistic to expect 1.0/1.5 between a piece out & the tape residue/staining. I wouldn't be shocked by a 0.5. I certainly wouldn't pay more than 75% of the FMV for a 1.0 given the types of issues it has. I long ago gave up on owning most SA Spider-Mans

On 6/3/2023 at 8:57 PM, scburdet said:

Totally understand the cost to collect limitations. I think this is a great option to own an expensive issue, but not sure I would grade it. To me, it would be optimistic to expect 1.0/1.5 between a piece out & the tape residue/staining. I wouldn't be shocked by a 0.5. I certainly wouldn't pay more than 75% of the FMV for a 1.0 given the types of issues it has. I long ago gave up on owning most SA Spider-Mans

On 6/3/2023 at 8:59 PM, Average RE said:

Expand  

I

I’m starting to think like that with the ASM keys , I’m aiming to get a low grade avengers 4 one day, but I do like the Bronze Age art and stories so I’m thinking of just collecting keys from that age I’m really a 2.0-5.0 grade collector with the silver and Bronze Age 

Agree with .5 to 1.0 range. (Apparent 1.0?)

To be clear, the Spidey box is grafted from an entirely different, slightly later issue. (ASM #41 perhaps?)

This is also the UK pence version, which more or less cuts the value in half to begin with before you even get to the structural flaws.

Still a respectable reader/filler, but only if priced right.

On 6/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, Average RE said:

So if I did buy this comic off the person selling this could I cut it out and then send to cgc to get graded with it get a restoration grade. I want to collect the early issues of ASM and I’m going to have to compromise with the grade due to the cost of the ASM keys  

This wouldn't make much sense financially. This book would not gain value from being slabbed, and might even lose a bit. Some very low grade slabs (of US copies!) have recently sold in the $400-500 range, per GPA. If you really want a slabbed book (do you?) you should probably buy one already slabbed.

Don’t get this graded. It will not come back with a blue label and, for all the reasons previously mentioned, would not be worth the expense. 

On 6/3/2023 at 11:19 PM, Point Five said:

Agree with .5 to 1.0 range. (Apparent 1.0?)

To be clear, the Spidey box is grafted from an entirely different, slightly later issue. (ASM #41 perhaps?)

This is also the UK pence version, which more or less cuts the value in half to begin with before you even get to the structural flaws.

Still a respectable reader/filler, but only if priced right.

I respectfully disagree that the UK price variant is worth only half the value of a cents copy, grade for grade. These days that just does not hold water. 

This copy is at best a 1.0 (or 1.5 on a good day) and would be worth buying, not to slab but to have and to hold, from this day forward, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health until death do you part.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:34 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I respectfully disagree that the UK price variant is worth only half the value of a cents copy, grade for grade. These days that just does not hold water. 

^^

On 6/4/2023 at 11:34 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

That’s good info… sounds like you are more plugged-in than I am. What would you say the UK values are? More like e.g. 70-75% of the US versions?

To the OP: For me personally, when I was collecting my SA Spidey run, I loved seeing ‘12 cents’ on the cover of each issue, and not seeing it there would bug my OCD. Just something to consider if you might be reselling your  books down the road.

On 6/4/2023 at 8:49 PM, grendelbo said:

1.0 Restored.

Thanks for posting.

So if I bought this and removed the corner box and back of comic that was stuck on it, would it just be a 1.0. My only reason I would like to grade it my goal is what ever grade I want my key ASM on my wall displayed and to keep it in good condition. But also I don’t want 0.5 grade comics in my collection 

On 6/10/2023 at 2:56 AM, Average RE said:

So if I bought this and removed the corner box and back of comic that was stuck on it, would it just be a 1.0. My only reason I would like to grade it my goal is what ever grade I want my key ASM on my wall displayed and to keep it in good condition. But also I don’t want 0.5 grade comics in my collection 

In theory, if you removed the “restoration”, you could end up with a book in the 1.5/1.8 range. But why bother? You would need to have the restoration professionally removed to get all the glue off (assuming it even can be removed). The book’s condition wouldn’t warrant the expense IMHO.

Edited by Nilo2