• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What has Disney done with it's Fox Portfolio and is Hulu worth it's estimated price tag?
4 4

29 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2023 at 10:47 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I truly don't know if Hulu is worth the 27 billion value I heard floating around and for the life of me I don't know what Disney has done with its Fox purchase. They seem to be sitting on it. Just wondering what others think...

$27 billion is the low end estimate for Hulu.  Rumors are Comcast is pushing for a valuation closer to $75B. When Disney must meet it's contractual obligation to buy them out, they could be on the hook in the $9B to $25B range.  I have no idea how it is worth that much money.

On 7/30/2023 at 9:22 PM, drotto said:

$27 billion is the low end estimate for Hulu.  Rumors are Comcast is pushing for a valuation closer to $75B. When Disney must meet it's contractual obligation to buy them out, they could be on the hook in the $9B to $25B range.  I have no idea how it is worth that much money.

It is no longer really worth that much. This transaction will hurt DIS some more. Maybe the rumours of a sale of DIS to AAPL will finally come true.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:47 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I truly don't know if Hulu is worth the 27 billion value I heard floating around and for the life of me I don't know what Disney has done with its Fox purchase. They seem to be sitting on it. Just wondering what others think...

As was touched on before, seeing as how they have to buy the 1/3rd stake from Comcast I am sure they are sitting on it so that the value is as cheap as possible.  Better to pay $9 Billion than $25 Billion.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:35 AM, media_junkie said:

As was touched on before, seeing as how they have to buy the 1/3rd stake from Comcast I am sure they are sitting on it so that the value is as cheap as possible.  Better to pay $9 Billion than $25 Billion.

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that angle.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:55 AM, Larryw7 said:

I saw an article that said there were rumors that Disney wanted to sell Fox. If they do, no more X-Men or FF.

From Feb 2023

Disney got ‘The Simpsons’ and ‘Avatar.’ But some now see the Fox deal as a mistake

On 9/6/2024 at 1:59 PM, Bosco685 said:

I would love to see another film version of ALW’s Phantom. I liked the one directed by Joel(nipples) Schumacher in 2004, even though Gerard Butler wasn’t much of a singer. But there was nothing like seeing Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford when the show debuted on Broadway in 1988. Such a spectacle for the legitimate stage.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:55 AM, Larryw7 said:

I saw an article that said there were rumors that Disney wanted to sell Fox. If they do, no more X-Men or FF.

But since Disney bought Fox, contracts can be reworked to regain the theatrical rights to those characters.

On 9/7/2024 at 6:46 AM, Larryw7 said:

I would love to see another film version of ALW’s Phantom. I liked the one directed by Joel(nipples) Schumacher in 2004, even though Gerard Butler wasn’t much of a singer. But there was nothing like seeing Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford when the show debuted on Broadway in 1988. Such a spectacle for the legitimate stage.

I saw Phantom around 1990 or 1991 in Toronto. Can't quite remember when exactly, but it changed how I saw Opera because before that, Opera was something sung in another language and had stories that I couldn't relate to. It blew my mind and I've been a fan ever since. 

Completely unrelated but after seeing Shyamalan's Glass in the Dolby Theater in Hollywood (the old Grauman's Chinese theater) during the pandemic, me and my date were the only two in the entire theater (I loved the pandemic, it was a great time to enjoy things) and after the movie, I got up in my seat and sang the Phantom Of The Opera theme song (male part) at full volume. lol

It seemed like the perfect place to do such a thing. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/8/2024 at 12:51 AM, Buzzetta said:

But since Disney bought Fox, contracts can be reworked to regain the theatrical rights to those characters.

True, but they must honor contracts that FOX negotiated, thus why the Spider-Man rights, the Marvel Land in Islands of Adventure in Orlando, and the Hulk rights (when it comes to a solo film) remain in place.

On 9/8/2024 at 9:04 PM, drotto said:

True, but they must honor contracts that FOX negotiated, thus why the Spider-Man rights, the Marvel Land in Islands of Adventure in Orlando, and the Hulk rights (when it comes to a solo film) remain in place.

That’s because they do not own Universal Studios which has the Florida marvel character theme park rights and they do not own universal productions which has the rights to a hulk solo film. 

Once they bought Fox studios they could easily negate those contracts by drafting a termination of use or transference of the movie rights to those characters.  Disney has the rights back to the X-Men and they won’t be farmed out if Disney decides to resell the Fox library.  

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/8/2024 at 9:04 PM, drotto said:

It's in their best interest to keep making Spider-man films with the current format because they're successful, but I don't think anyone is too fussed about seeing another Hulk film soon, are they?

How long are those contracts for?

And will they starve some of them out until they expire?

On 9/9/2024 at 3:01 PM, VintageComics said:

It's in their best interest to keep making Spider-man films with the current format because they're successful, but I don't think anyone is too fussed about seeing another Hulk film soon, are they?

How long are those contracts for?

And will they starve some of them out until they expire?

And again.  Read my response.  He is conflating intellectual property rights holders.  

The Florida Universal Studios theme park deal is separate from anything to do with Fox or the movies in general.  This is why Disneyland in Anaheim has had Captain America and Spider-man walking around basically ever since Disney bought Marvel. 

On 9/9/2024 at 4:38 PM, Buzzetta said:

And again.  Read my response.  He is conflating intellectual property rights holders.  

The Florida Universal Studios theme park deal is separate from anything to do with Fox or the movies in general.  This is why Disneyland in Anaheim has had Captain America and Spider-man walking around basically ever since Disney bought Marvel. 

There were a few articles in this thread about the war between Universal and Disney over Marvel Comics overall rights. Disney wanted the full Marvel Theme Park rights while also fighting to get the full Hulk rights back.

Marvel’s post-‘Endgame’ anger-management issue: The Incredible Hulk’s future

Key points:

• Disney CEO Bob Iger said this week that “Avengers: Endgame” dropped many clues about the future of Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.
  • The Incredible Hulk battled with the Infinity Gauntlet and was injured, but unlike other key Avengers, like Captain America and Iron Man, the Hulk’s future remains unknown.
  • Hulk’s history at the box office as a stand-alone film vehicle has been hit or miss. Like Spider-Man, the character is caught in a complicated rights relationship between Universal Studios and Disney’s Marvel.

The Hulk has fronted his own films in the past, which were produced by Comcast’s Universal Studios, with lackluster results, especially by recent Disney-Marvel box-office standards. Although Marvel owns the character rights to the Hulk, Universal owns the rights to any solo picture. Back in the early 2000s, when the two Hulk movies were released through Universal, Marvel had not yet been acquired by Disney, a deal that was struck in 2009 for over $4 billion.

The 2008 “The Incredible Hulk” is considered part of Marvel’s larger cinematic universe, despite starring Edward Norton instead of Ruffalo and being a Universal film. Prior to being acquired by Disney, Marvel was also distributing its content through Paramount Pictures, a Viacom Company. It distributed the first two “Iron Man” movies, “Thor” and “Captain America: The First Avenger.”

Making solo Hulk movies isn’t easy, according to Mark Ruffalo himself. “A standalone ‘Hulk’ movie will never happen,” Ruffalo said to Variety in 2017. “Universal has the rights, and for some reason, they don’t know how to play well with Marvel. And they don’t want to make money.”

The Hollywood Reporter wrote in 2015 that part of the problem between Universal and Disney is that Disney wants the Marvel theme park rights that Universal possesses. Both companies are not only locked in box-office competition but the lucrative and increasingly important theme park business tied to blockbuster films.

With the death of Robert Downey Jr.’s “Iron Man” in “Endgame,” Robbins believes that the Hulk is now the bonafide genius of the Avengers, especially since the latest Avengers installment conveyed the Hulk as “Professor Hulk,” a comic book adaptation that provides the character with Bruce Banner’s intellect but with the powerful physique of his counter monster.

“There are a lot of cool things they can do with Professor Hulk, especially with characters like the Fantastic Four and Reed Richards now available to Marvel,” added Marvel connoisseur Jeremy Conrad, a media influencer and editor-in-chief of MCUCosmic. “I know a lot of people really want to see him show up in a movie with Wolverine.”

“He is literally a huge part of the Marvel legacy, and there is more green to be made with this essential character,” Dergarabedian said. “Ruffalo as Hulk is one of the standout highlights of ‘Endgame,’ and there is certainly many directions they could go, and within the no-limitations creative options in any superhero universe, there are more angles to take on this great character.”

On 9/9/2024 at 4:54 PM, Bosco685 said:

There were a few articles in this thread about the war between Universal and Disney over Marvel Comics overall rights. Disney wanted the full Marvel Theme Park rights while also fighting to get the full Hulk rights back.

Marvel’s post-‘Endgame’ anger-management issue: The Incredible Hulk’s future

Correct, but the Universal theme parks rights are not related to the acquisition of Fox Studios nor the reacquisition of theatrical rights of characters previously leased to Fox.