• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10.0 comics

29 posts in this topic

I've never kept my sources secret for high grade comics: www.comic-central.com and www.comicinfinity.com

It would be nicec if every dealer got hi-grade books out of the case, but I hear about how the Diamond boxes are trashed when they arrive at my local shop. So I stick with these two. Other well know dealers that get these high grades submitted through prescreen are Paradise Comics and superdupercomics on ebay..tomjk also has plenty I like to bid on.

All my 10.0s came from these sources, but I don't claim that every book that they send me is a 10.0. I've submitted many that didn't make the 9.8 prescreen and this is after I've "hand-picked" my prescreen selection crop.

The only one I know of (Silver 10.0) The Thor # 165? exists, but no clue who has that one.

But the most famous is Canada's national treasure in the hands of one Reynold Jay...Captain Canuck 1, for a bargain price of $4995. Is it still silver Age?

......no, i'm sure the cpt. canuck is from the 70's...............there has only been one cgc 10.0 from the silver age so far.....................several 9.9's i think, including a copy of ASM #19........................ shocked.gif

I guess if CGC will "allow" JP_the mint (THERE'S a paradox!) to make an Action 1 NM 9.4 label on "their" labeling machine for JPs Overstreet ad (Paying 1 MILLION Dollars for this book), getting 10.0s may not be such a difficult trick for the right party/parties. JUST KIDDING, of course! I have nothing but the utmost respect for JP. The man, at the present time, IS the entire hobby, and if you DON'T believe that, you're either kidding yourself or don't know the facts. My Heritage catalog is sopping wet from drooling over it, and I've worn out 2 pencils trying to figure what exact combination of books I can actively pursue simultaneously, funds allowing!

I thought Heritage was "The Hobby" since they have a stake in CGC, partner with JP and run more auctions than some of the other auction houses ever did. Why hasn't anybody posted a thread wondering when many under-capitalized Dealers will be run out of business by the Heritage business model?

Bob, I'm sure that although we agree to disagree on everything else, the one thing we can BOTH agree to unequivocably is that if not for JP, there would BE no Manning Comic Auctions, no CGC, no Heritage Auctions to speak of anywhere NEAR the magnitude they are today. Jay's unlimited money and vast influence because of it, REDEFINED and SHAPED the current Hobby market of the past 3 years. What percentage of the pieces in Heritage's current catalog (not the Cage one), do you think are JAY's personal holdings? What percentage of the DOLLAR value of the items in this catalog are Jay's holdings? Honestly. The only pieces Jay DIDN'T buy since his first visit to the newly incepted CGC grading service, are items he PASSED on. The man was like a human vacuum cleaner, having the financial capability to MAKE the hobby, buying books that SAT in dealer's inventories for years, not because they weren't beautiful pieces, but because no one but Jay had the money to buy EVERYTHING of quality available to be had!!! The man is amazing, and he CREATED a hobby out of a dying one.

Of course I do CI. And I'm NOT being facetious in saying that I have LONG admired YOUR posts. YOU hit the nail on the head in the "reality check dept." of this hobby more than everyone else on here COMBINED. I knew, after studying your posts on here that you didn't only have an excellent working knowledge of this hobby, but enough expertise and knowledge of MANY other closely related hobbies to constantly put 2 and 2 together and get FOUR, instead of the usual Three everybody else constantly comes up with. You'd have to know the historical background of markets in coins/currency/cards/art/Lionels, etc. to see the EXACT parallels and recognize the same signposts that are present in THIS hobby. I'm confident that you above everyone else on here, know EXACTLY where things are heading, and know the players, the pieces, and the reason why.

RIDICULOUS. Turning down $5K for a Thor in the 150s. UNSLABBED, how many people on Earth can tell a 9.8 from a 9.9 from a 10.0 CONSISTANTLY? Do you think if he cracked it open and sent it in again, it would get the same 10.0? The book, that day, was LUCKY enough to hit LOTTO. You can't tell me there's a scientific difference between a 9.8 a 9.9 and a 10.0. Only a SUBJECTIVE one amounting to a difference in dollar yield on this book by MULTIPLE THOUSANDS of dollars.

But isn't grading subjective, Meth? The only reason behind the $1000's is that the CGC 10.0 "opinion" is highly respected in the industry and carries with it a weight that makes books of this caliber receive offers of that nature. It is the oldest CGC 10.0 and I don't see anything older getting that grade anytime soon. Even 9.9s in that era are too few and far between.

It's all about trust. I TRUST that CGC says it's a 10.0 and I TRUST in their opinion. This trust is based on repeat dealings with them. If any other seller, such as you, were to say, in my opinion, this is a 9.8 NM/MT, I would have doubts until I actually dealt with you, repeatedly , and you consistently come through to meet my satisfaction, in the same way CGC has.