• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best comic you have ever read?
1 1

233 posts in this topic

Impact #1 with Krigstein's Master Race. There has never been a more cinematic telling of a story in my opinion. Every frame means something. The story is great, but it is the art that shoots this one out of the stratosphere. This was one of EC's last gasps, and i am not sure if Krigstein would have been allowed by the EC front office and editors to illustrate it the way he did if he wasn't given free rein to use the style he chose. It is an amazing story that everyone should have to read so that they never forget what horror's man is capable of.

Scott

I have edited this post and added a link that has the story in its entirety. Just click your mouse on the page and it will advance to the next page. Every time i look at it, i think i see something new.

http://es.geocities.com/thegweb/berniekrigstein1.html

Edited by Wrightson fan

Secret Origins 10(80's) Phantom Stranger. Read it at least 50 times. Alan Moore writes one of 'em and the others are great too.

Actually have a copy of that one. Yeah, four different versions. All great stories. Very fitting for the character.

Impact #1 with Krigstein's Master Race. There has never been a more cinematic telling of a story in my opinion. Every frame means something. The story is great, but it is the art that shoots this one out of the stratosphere. This was one of EC's last gasps, and i am not sure if Krigstein would have been allowed by the EC front office and editors to illustrate it they way he did if he wasn't given free rein to use the style he chose. It is an amazing story that everyone should have to read so that they never forget what horror's man is capable of.

Scott

I have edited this post and added a link that has the story in its entirety. Just click your mouse on the page and it will advance to the next page. Every time i look at it, i think i see something new.

after reading your comments and reading and pausing over the tale/story/document...yes, it's an impressive one.

thank you for sharing. this documents "not comics" should belong to the collectove memory of the present and future worldwide society.

regards

Impact #1 with Krigstein's Master Race. There has never been a more cinematic telling of a story in my opinion. Every frame means something. The story is great, but it is the art that shoots this one out of the stratosphere. This was one of EC's last gasps, and i am not sure if Krigstein would have been allowed by the EC front office and editors to illustrate it the way he did if he wasn't given free rein to use the style he chose. It is an amazing story that everyone should have to read so that they never forget what horror's man is capable of.

Scott

Thanks for the link.

There was a story in Escapist #3 called “Heil and Fear Well” that was an homage.

"Marv Wolfman writes “Heil and Fear Well,” a story in the infamous EC horror style with art by veteran cartoonist Joe Staton and indie stalwart Bob Sikoryak, this tale of nefarious post-war Nazis shocks and chills."

13062.jpg

Uncanny 140 for me. I guess there's something about the age of 9-10.... as that's how old I was when I got this book in a trade with my neighbor. It's a stand-alone story, which I think played a big role as it was already a couple of years old, so when I went hunting for more I believe the run was up to 168 or something - but I've managed to fill in the blanks over the years. ; )

AWESOME Byrne cover with Wendigo slamming Wolvie into a tree, and the story inside does a wonderful job of spreading the spotlight around to most of the team.

Honourable mentions to Dark Knight Returns #1 and the X-Men graphic novel.

So tough to pin down just one book but Avengers #4 is a personal favorite and Thor #382 has all the action you could ask for.

Never read Avengers 4 and cant remember Thor 382.

However, Avengers 93 is just classic. Antman going into Vision to try and save him, Adams art, classic!

However, Avengers 93 is just classic. Antman going into Vision to try and save him, Adams art, classic!

And you know the tables were turned in Avengers 140 when Vision had to do the same thing for Yellowjacket. He had to go into Hank to try and save him. I guess they thought it was only fair to return the favor. tongue.gif

juggle.gif very tough question - after reading them for 25 years how could you pick just one. Christo_pull_hair.gif Sorry Gotta go top 3

1. Anatomy Lesson by Alan Moore in Saga of the Swamp Thing 21. cloud9.gif

2. Marvel and DC Present X-men and New Teen Titans 1 shot (Marv and Chris I think) cloud9.gif

3. And yes Scott Daredevil 181 by Frank Miller cloud9.gif

Copper Rules you fools sumo.gifsumo.gif

So tough to pin down just one book but Avengers #4 is a personal favorite and Thor #382 has all the action you could ask for.

Gotta agree with Thor #382 as a choice. I get all the philosophical depth I need from classic literature, so comics have always been about the battles for me.

Seeing Thor inhabit the Destroyer armor and just tear Hela's domain to pieces was always up there for me as one of the greatest issues I have read. That whole story arc featuring the curse of "brittle bones" Hela placed on Thor (and his subsequent revenge) just blew me away when I read it as a kid. cloud9.gif

juggle.gif very tough question - after reading them for 25 years how could you pick just one. Christo_pull_hair.gif Sorry Gotta go top 3

2. Marvel and DC Present X-men and New Teen Titans 1 shot (Marv and Chris I think) cloud9.gif

Rules are rules! You have to pick one from those three tongue.gif

I'll pick for him.

Swamp Thing 21 is one of the best covers of the Copper Age so it gets the nod. acclaim.gif

150px-Swampthingmoore21.jpg

I'll pick for him.

Swamp Thing 21 is one of the best covers of the Copper Age so it gets the nod. acclaim.gif

150px-Swampthingmoore21.jpg

Well I did list it number one acclaim.gif and ya Norinn, Tom Yeates is very underappreciated as an artist - that cover is amazing, with a tip of the hat to Toth, Wood etc.