• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best comic you have ever read?
1 1

233 posts in this topic

Daredevil 181. Brilliant story and art with perfect pacing. A tour de force.

A close second would be any number of the Valiant issues written by Jim Shooter -- Solar #1, Solar #10, Magnus: Robot Fighter #1, and also X-O Manowar #1.

What a difficult decision.The best that I could do is provide choices for different eras.Unfortunately,most are multiple issue story arc's.

SILVER- F.F. #66-67

BRONZE- GL/GA # 85-86

MODERN- Swamp Thing (saga of) #21

There are so many more that are so close that I'm not sure that I would give the same answers a year from now.I almost chose an early F.F.

god bless...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

One of the best stories I ever read I believe was from the Legends of the Dark Knight annual # 1. It was about batman carrying a duffle bag and no matter what he did he had to take that bag with him and he could not lose it no matter what.

The bag was such a burden on every adventure.

It turned out that all of these crazy adventures batman went on were all just a dream. He had fallen in the snow and hit his head while dragging the Joker who had broken most of his limbs in a crash.

Rather than let the Joker die Batman was dragging him through the snow to turn him in.

The burden of the bag in his dreams was actually his burden in real life,The Joker.

One of the best stories ever.

I don't know exactly what it is that causes me to gravitate to silver age when collecting,but if I am to be totally honest,it certainly isn't because of a lack of quality in the modern era.Batman has long been on the cutting edge of the best of the best.I remember buying Neal Adams Batman issues off the stands and realizing how fresh and innovative these were.The Don Newton stuff blew me away.Frank Miller,Kelly Jones,etc. carried on the tradition.It never ceases to amaze me how DC continues to pull aces out of their sleeves within the Batman mythos.It would truly be impossible to choose just one.I missed the story you spoke of but it sounds like I may want to seek it out.Thanks for sharing.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

This is going to sound very funny...but my favorite comic I used to love faithfully reading was Sergio Aragones Groo the Wanderer. I don't have a single issue popping into my head right now but when I was a kid I remember picking up issue #14 of the Marvel/Epic run off the magazine rack at Waldenbooks and was hooked. I was a huge Conan fan and this parady/comical Conan type was a big hit with me and my best friend who also began collecting Groo the same day. I soon went to my LCS and got all the back issues. Still have them all to this day.

The Famous First Edition of Batman #1. Amazing issue with first Catwoman, great Hugo Strange story, etc. All in glorious over-size format. Cheap reading copies available--everyone should have one in his collection.

Second place: Our Army at War 244. "Easy's First Tiger." Best war comic ever. Stunning Russ Heath art job.

Marc

One of the very first comics I ever read, Amazing Spider-Man #42. Picked it up off the comic rack at a drug store. I still remember the image of Mary Jane, standing there at Peter's door, saying "You just hit the jackpot, Tiger." That's why Romita Sr. is the quintessential Spidey artist for me.

you mean this page?

One of the very first comics I ever read, Amazing Spider-Man #42. Picked it up off the comic rack at a drug store. I still remember the image of Mary Jane, standing there at Peter's door, saying "You just hit the jackpot, Tiger." That's why Romita Sr. is the quintessential Spidey artist for me.

you mean this page?

HAHA! That's it! That's why, in Spider-Man 2 (the movie), MJ says, "Go get 'em, Tiger."

Agree

Followed close by Punisher kills the marvel universe and punisher issue 4(DD with the gun on the cover)

Superman Annual 11. Greatest comic book story of all time.
Edited by kidcolt

As a kid, Captain Marvel 32, no question.

That book was a real mind-bender and I literally read it to pieces.

As an adult, Watchmen 6, potentially the best comic ever written.

Is that the issue with the kid who wants to be the Human Tourch?

I would have to go with AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #'s 121 and 122(those books taught me a lot about loss as a seven year old kid). Closely followed by DONALD DUCK #26("Trick or Treat!" by Barks) and SHOCK SUSPENSE #9(the all around best EC comic book IMHO).