• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best comic you have ever read?
1 1

233 posts in this topic

I actually like jimjum12's idea of specifying by era since it is so hard to decide from all ages together. Comics from every decade have a different feeling, and it really just depends what you're in the mood to read.

Silver Age- Avengers #3

Bronze Age- Avengers #181

181.gif

Copper/Modern age- Either Thor #355 or X-men #141(great cover too)--my choice will change with the wind.

355.jpg

Current- JLA/Avengers #1

1.jpg

I can't claim to have read near the number of comics some of you more 'seasoned' veterans can, but the first book that comes to mind is Spectacular Spider-Man #14

0504_SpecSpidey14.jpg" height="412" width="275

The art is unique. Every panel is hand painted. No inks, pencils, etc, all painted. The story was also something really different from what I had read before. A young man with cerebral palsy (i think) is confined to his wheelchair, with little to no control over his motor functions, and without the ability to speak. He basically sits in his room all day, but each evening his family rolls him out to the roof of their apartment building, so he can spend some time outside, watching the Brooklyn skyline. One evening Spider-Man and Morbius happen to be battling it out, and the fight arrives on this particular rooftop. All the guy can do is sit there and watch as these two duke it out. Spidey eventually wins and returns to the rooftop and sits with the guy, chatting it up for a bit (although the conversation is decidedly one-sided). Spidey then decides to let him in on a secret and reveal his identity by pulling off his mask and telling him his real name, mentioning how the two of them aren't that different. At the end his father (or older brother) comes out to get him and asks if he saw anything exciting, to which the guy lets out the best excited grunt he can under the circumstances.

Definitely not something I expected from a comic book and one of the few that will probably stay with me.

cool thread, sorry I came to it late but for me, hands down it's Miracleman #15...Miracleman's solution to the Johnny Bate's dilemma totally blew me away. Completely unexpected, and the battle in that issue between MM, Bates and the Warpsmiths was incredible...a must read

I can't claim to have read near the number of comics some of you more 'seasoned' veterans can, but the first book that comes to mind is Spectacular Spider-Man #14

<br>

<br>

0504_SpecSpidey14.jpg" height="412" width="275

<br>

<br>

The art is unique. Every panel is hand painted. No inks, pencils, etc, all painted. The story was also something really different from what I had read before. A young man with cerebral palsy (i think) is confined to his wheelchair, with little to no control over his motor functions, and without the ability to speak. He basically sits in his room all day, but each evening his family rolls him out to the roof of their apartment building, so he can spend some time outside, watching the Brooklyn skyline. One evening Spider-Man and Morbius happen to be battling it out, and the fight arrives on this particular rooftop. All the guy can do is sit there and watch as these two duke it out. Spidey eventually wins and returns to the rooftop and sits with the guy, chatting it up for a bit (although the conversation is decidedly one-sided). Spidey then decides to let him in on a secret and reveal his identity by pulling off his mask and telling him his real name, mentioning how the two of them aren't that different. At the end his father (or older brother) comes out to get him and asks if he saw anything exciting, to which the guy lets out the best excited grunt he can under the circumstances.

<br>

<br>

Definitely not something I expected from a comic book and one of the few that will probably stay with me.

very good choice...another Paul Jenkins classic (i think it was him who wrote)!!!

regards

Neil Gaimen's Sandman issues definitely need a mention here. So many unforgetable issues that left you undeliably altered from the reading experience.

Issues, 17, 18, 19, the 'Game of You' story line in the 30's, Death's first mini series..'Everyone gets the same...a lifetime'.

To be honest, I don't think the guy has ever come close since to repeating the feat.

OK, for a silver persective...Silver Surfer #4 the story is the equal to the cover...read it! Avenger's, eraly Vision issues, yup another where the story matches the hype of a key book, and or course without a doubt the Bryne X-men.

The Dangerous Habits Story Arc of Hellblazer. Who can't enjoy a story where The Devil gets treated like a little biotch? angel.gifgrin.gif

I just started re-reading my trade last night. Johnny boy is just about to set "the wheels in motion". Great arc that one is.

Lots of good books on the list! Some of my favs:

SOST #21 - of course

MM #15 - of course

Watchmen #5 and #11 - of course

Sandman #14? (1st Hobbes, not the tiger)

Cerebus #2 - Red Sophia cloud9.gif27_laughing.gif

Newer stuff that is great:

All-Star Superman #1 and #2

Ultimates #9

I actually like the "Mid-Summer's night dream storyline" of Sandman.

Another good one. The cats issue was great as well. Gaiman was really in top form for that series. It had it's lulls, but still one of the all-time great runs. A must read. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I actually like the "Mid-Summer's night dream storyline" of Sandman.

That was an excellent arc, but I am a sucker for Vess art.

Here are some I don't think have been mentioned yet...

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser 1-4. Prestige format by Mignola and Chaykin. cloud9.gif

Scud the Disposable Assassin 1-end. Weird story that I really liked as a teenager.

EVERYTHING related to Milk and Cheese. sumo.gif

The Tick original series! cloud9.gif

Groo, the Pacific run.

Every Hellboy story written AND drawn by Mignola. The other stuff totally pales in comparison.

Thieves and Kings. Cool little sword and sorcery epic that has gone overlooked despite its long run.

Then there are the usual suspects. DKR, Watchmen, Long Halloween, 893blahblah.gif

Thieves and Kings. Cool little sword and sorcery epic that has gone overlooked despite its long run.

Yeah! From one T&K fan to another thumbsup2.gif

I also really liked Paul Grist's Kane.

I bought a killer splash page from Mark Oakley awhile back. I will see if I can get a picture of it. The page features the Iron Guard breaking through a wall. Nice to know I am not the only fan.

I bought a killer splash page from Mark Oakley awhile back. I will see if I can get a picture of it. The page features the Iron Guard breaking through a wall. Nice to know I am not the only fan.

Here it is...

TKsplash.jpg

TKsplash.jpg

Nice Page. I remember that one. I'm glad M'Oak got over his burnout on the series and is back on a better schedule. I wouldn't mind a panel page with Soracia like this one -

shadow.jpg