• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicbook Software?

14 posts in this topic

I just got and am currently using Comic Collector 2.2 Pro, very nice program, very detailed, lots of information can be stored, also able to add images. There is a free trial available for download, and 2 versions of this software, Standard & Pro.

Give it a look, I really like it.

Comic Collector 2.2 Pro

Whoa, I've never seen that one before. The price is definitely much more reasonable than ComicBase. I'd be interested in hearing a comparison of the two, although I doubt anybody has used them both enough to do that kind of analysis.

Some of the things I like:

You can enter an entire series in one fail swoop.

If your missing issues in that series you can designate them at the same time, no need to re-enter later.

Images are super easy to add, you can add front and back covers.

Lists and charts galore, you can bring up just about any specific info, there are also 2 customizable fields.

Simple, yet very in-depth, everything from when you bought it, from where, even room for notes, storylines, where it's kept, the specific charecters in an issue, and much more. Even a traking system for you to keep a record of any comics lent out, who when and where.

For the money, it delivers a ton of organization, It took me probably 10 hrs total to enter in about 300 comics with scans of covers and detailed info.

I'm likely going to buy a copy, but do you use the Standard or Pro? Looking it over, the only thing I might miss is the ability to export... assuming that's for backing up in case fo a reinstall or crash, and using it in other DB programs...

Well, after trying out the trial version, I don't think I'm sold. Found way too many problems with it, such as editing lists.

I added new F/VF and VF/NM conditions, yet the Sort Name switches each time I change the Display Name, which is totally opposite ot the seeded conditions. Now I can't put them in order unless I use a numeric "Sort Name" (090 VF/NM) as the display name...which seems to be the only field I CAN edit.

Tons of other problems with the Lists, though the program works pretty good if you don't ever intend to add anthing to the seeded list fields. That's not me, as I have VF/NM and NM/M comics. grin.gif

Enough for me, time for a quick uninstall...

Actually, I tooled around with the program and Comic Condition seems to be the only field that does not support the Sort Name function. Everything else I looked at allowed a Sort Name to be generated and added.

That is really freaky, given that it would likely be the most edited, since I'd like to add the tweener (VF/NM) grades and some CGC notations as well.

Try adding a new Condition, it's the only Field in the program (that I could find) that doesn't allow a new Sort Name to be entered. It allows Display Name to be added, but this is pretty well useless, since if you enter "VF/NM", then it uses "VF/NM" as the Sort Name (instead of the numerical one in the seeded values) and your Condition list is not ordered correctly.

Truly a bizarre program flaw, especially since Comic Condition is such a huge deal these days, and everyone uses the tweener grades like F/VF, VF/NM, NM/M, etc.

I posted this question on their forums and apparently they know of the flaw, and recommended deleting all the old values and inputing all-new Display Names as numberical equivalents, so the Display Name orders correctly.

Like:

etc.

Ummmmm, nope. tongue.gif

Own a copy of 7.0. Took me bout 2 weeks to get my whole 8 thousand + collection in there. Did have one glitch, which caused the program to freeze, but which probably is related to stuff on my computer. I'll let ya know when I find out.

Try adding a new Condition, it's the only Field in the program (that I could find) that doesn't allow a new Sort Name to be entered. It allows Display Name to be added, but this is pretty well useless, since if you enter "VF/NM", then it uses "VF/NM" as the Sort Name (instead of the numerical one in the seeded values) and your Condition list is not ordered correctly.

Truly a bizarre program flaw, especially since Comic Condition is such a huge deal these days, and everyone uses the tweener grades like F/VF, VF/NM, NM/M, etc.

I posted this question on their forums and apparently they know of the flaw, and recommended deleting all the old values and inputing all-new Display Names as numberical equivalents, so the Display Name orders correctly.

Like:

etc.

Ummmmm, nope. tongue.gif

By the way Joe, I got the midrange grades in without a problem, maybe it's a "Trial" version thing.

By the way Joe, I got the midrange grades in without a problem, maybe it's a "Trial" version thing.

I can get them in too, but since there is no Sort Name option, the grades are all over the place when you drop-down the menu, export the data or use the program in any way that Sort Name is important.

Basically, when I input VF/NM, F/VF, NM/M, etc. they all show up at the bottom of the list, in alpha order (Sort Names on seeded values are numeric) and it horks up the whole deal.