• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine 50th anniversary signing
7 7

116 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2024 at 7:40 PM, DanJD said:

I don’t know what your books look like, but all of these are 9.8s of mine from various years and look pretty straight to me.  I would call that far from normal.  

IMG_1524.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg

The first picture lines up perfectly with the seam.  The second and fourth sits straight against the back of the inner well.  The third you can’t see the book because it sits straight against the front of the well.  

Edited by DanJD

• Administrator
On 7/10/2024 at 4:02 PM, DaveSFU said:

Attn @CGC Mike 

I am sorry that this has happened to you.  I see that you mentioned going to CS.  Be sure to supply them with pics of the side view, as well as the spine ticks in the same spot, and explain why that is a problem.  You could mention that the operations manager is aware that some people are having a problem with this on the forum.  1 person is sending a book back for him to personally inspect before it is pressed and regraded.

He was in the encapsulation area today inspecting all submissions checking for this problem, and found no evidence of it.  He also stated that nobody has sent any books back except the ones that I helped people with on the forum.  So, I do not believe this is a widespread problem  based on the feedback I have been given from the team, as other vintage graders have also inspected books that have been encapsulated.

On 7/10/2024 at 8:14 PM, Gator Guru said:

Thats 100% normal. Every single slab I have is like that and I have hundreds. That is just how the books sit in the slab and more an illusion that they are warped.

Its not normal.  Some of these books are dipped like a C inside the slab,   some like the Xmen 268 i pictured are heavily bend like an S.   I have 30k worth of books right now with some form of post-grading damage.  

On 7/10/2024 at 8:50 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am sorry that this has happened to you.  I see that you mentioned going to CS.  Be sure to supply them with pics of the side view, as well as the spine ticks in the same spot, and explain why that is a problem.  You could mention that the operations manager is aware that some people are having a problem with this on the forum.  1 person is sending a book back for him to personally inspect before it is pressed and regraded.

He was in the encapsulation area today inspecting all submissions checking for this problem, and found no evidence of it.  He also stated that nobody has sent any books back except the ones that I helped people with on the forum.  So, I do not believe this is a widespread problem  based on the feedback I have been given from the team, as other vintage graders have also inspected books that have been encapsulated.

Yes i talked to someone at CS and they are having me send photos right now.   I let them know its a known problem thats been talked about on here before and linked them to the old thread.  What happens though if something presses and grades lower than it did the first time?   I have multiple 9.8 graded books, including one with a $5000 value, that now contain color breaking spine issues that i have no interest in getting back at a lower grade.    

• Administrator
On 7/10/2024 at 9:31 PM, DaveSFU said:

What happens though if something presses and grades lower than it did the first time?   I have multiple 9.8 graded books, including one with a $5000 value, that now contain color breaking spine issues that i have no interest in getting back at a lower grade. 

Well, lets work on getting them to us first.  If there is such a problem, there are multiple options to make things right.  If you need my assistance, you know how to get in touch with me.  

On 7/10/2024 at 9:49 PM, CGC Mike said:

Well, lets work on getting them to us first.  If there is such a problem, there are multiple options to make things right.  If you need my assistance, you know how to get in touch with me.  

Thanks Mike.  Appreciate you as always.   I sent a bunch of photos to CS tonight of a sampling of books so ill see what they get back to me with tomorrow

On 7/11/2024 at 5:27 PM, DanJD said:

Unbelievable.

Just now was reviewing the pictures taken by CGC that come up when i search the Cert numbers, i can see the damage on some of the books with darker spines.  So this was something present when it was still in house and it got through quality control before being sent out

Edited by DaveSFU

On 7/11/2024 at 2:56 PM, DaveSFU said:

Reviewing the pictures taken by CGC just that come up when i search the Cert numbers, i can see the damage on some of the books with darker spines.  So this was present when it was still in house and it got through quality control before being sent out

This is what I suspected. I have a guess this is a result of their new case sealing they’re using post reholder scandal. Which if that’s the case you likely will see the damage as soon as that seal is made. 

I still have books sitting at CGC/CCS for this signing… I am quite worried.

Just speculatiing, but I wonder if this damage in these books is from someone after books are graded and they are sealing them for encapsulation?  Seems like they don’t  understand they are damaging all the books?   This is worse than the reholder scandal because this seems like it can be hundreds if not thousands of damaged books here…  I’m truly nervous using CGC at this point, I really think this needs to be addressed because these books are destroyed and the grading false because of the damage, so you can’t even sell these books.

Edited by melanrus

On 7/11/2024 at 5:30 PM, melanrus said:

Just speculation but I wonder if this damage in these books are from someone after books are graded and they are sealing them for encapsulation?  Seems like they don’t  understand they are damaging all the books?   This is worse than the reholder scandal because this seems like it can be hundreds if not thousands of damaged books here

I too am beginning to wonder just how widespread it is. Not everyone is looking at the side profile of their books when they get them back. And the real issue here is you’re going to see a lot of these not returned to CGC for mechanical error. People will just throw it up as a 9.8 on eBay and it will sell. This could be quite the mess if there are a high volume of these. Once people lose confidence in a 9.8 actually staying a 9.8 after encapsulation that’s a pretty big problem for the brand of CGC.

On 7/11/2024 at 7:36 PM, wiparker824 said:

I too am beginning to wonder just how widespread it is. Not everyone is looking at the side profile of their books when they get them back. And the real issue here is you’re going to see a lot of these not returned to CGC for mechanical error. People will just throw it up as a 9.8 on eBay and it will sell. This could be quite the mess if there are a high volume of these. Once people lose confidence in a 9.8 actually staying a 9.8 after encapsulation that’s a pretty big problem for the brand of CGC.

I have seen many people post about 9.8s being sold with color breaking spine ticks. I personally have been looking for a 9.8 x-factor 6 and at least 3 or 4 freshly graded ones for sale looked bad enough that I had to pass on.  I thought it was just missed at grading.  Makes me wonder if it’s related.  I for sure now won’t buy a slab where the listing just posts the CGC images and not fresh pictures from the owner having it in hand if it’s been graded recently.

Well this also makes me nervous. Fwiw, I received a book last week (not from the Wolverine signing) that also is pretty clearly bent in the slab:

Thankfully, there doesn't seem to be any damage along the spine though, but I do have a book coming back from the signing... 

bent_book.jpg

On 7/11/2024 at 8:54 PM, DanJD said:

I have seen many people post about 9.8s being sold with color breaking spine ticks. I personally have been looking for a 9.8 x-factor 6 and at least 3 or 4 freshly graded ones for sale looked bad enough that I had to pass on.  I thought it was just missed at grading.  Makes me wonder if it’s related.  I for sure now won’t buy a slab where the listing just posts the CGC images and not fresh pictures from the owner having it in hand if it’s been graded recently.

I definitely think this is more widespread than we realize.  The vast majority of people getting books back just look at the grade and go "ok cool".  Not everyone is like me and takes the time to inspect all their graded books from the side and under bright light at various angles to see spine damage.  Hell i didnt realize my Iron Fist 14 from the signing was damaged until i went looking for it.  I saw the 9.8 and just left it at that at first

On 7/12/2024 at 11:15 AM, DaveSFU said:

The vast majority of people getting books back just look at the grade and go "ok cool".

I think this is correct - I usually do a check for slab damage first, then compare the spine for any damage against pictures I took before submission, then a general check on the overall book. I'm usually less thorough if the book is a 9.8, but going forward I will definitely be checking books for bends. I can also see the case where if there is pressure enough to bend the book in the slab that bumps during the shipping process would be enough to create more stress/damage to the spine.

@CGC Mike would the books being bent in the slab be considered a Mechanical Error? (and probably should be re-pressed as well, no?)

Edited by dbcn

On 7/12/2024 at 10:30 AM, dbcn said:

I can also see the case where if there is pressure enough to bend the book in the slab that bumps during the shipping process would be enough to create more stress/damage to the spine.

I would also think that a book that had slight spine indents or dings that didn’t break color would act as weak points to cause bigger color breaking creases and ticks if bent like shown.  

• Administrator
On 7/12/2024 at 11:30 AM, dbcn said:

@CGC Mike would the books being bent in the slab be considered a Mechanical Error? (and probably should be re-pressed as well, no?)

Something like this should be brought to our attention as soon as you get the book or books back from CGC.  Send customer service pictures and ask how you should proceed.  I can't give just one answer, as we would need to do this on a case by case basis.  I will be in touch with our operations manager after he has received some of these, and the team examines them.  After that, I may be able to provide more answers.