• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advisory possible strike action Canada Border Services (customs)

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It happened to me before and unfortunately it was a drag.

Back when this was a legit price, I bought a Submariner 1 cgc 9.4 SS'd by Stan Lee for like $600, paid and awaited shipping. Only to find out they never shipped and refunded claiming no longer available through their site (pristine comics). Stan Lee had just RIP of course which is a labored point with the boards, but at the time seemed unfair so I emailed them, they told me "Ya, we still have it and will sell it for $200 more cost!?!"

Which by today's standards I wish I had the money at the time, but only gone over $500 under 20 times, and it was disappointing that I could no longer afford it at the time and a little due to the principle of the situation :sorry: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/25/2024 at 11:47 AM, crassus said:

Hi everyone, I am posting this here to put it on the radar. I have no involvement in this and so no information beyond what the news reports, that said if any of our members are closer to this story please jump in with better perspective.  My understanding is that being an "essential service", the border would remain open but strike action would create delays at crossings, impacting both human and commercial traffic. I am assuming this would also mean packages shipped from the US to Canada may experience delays in clearing customs. It appears that currently both sides are in mediation, but news outlets are reporting that workers would be in a legal strike position sometime in June.

My own 2c is that if a Canadian buyer were considering or arranging a significant purchase from a US seller, or anywhere abroad, for the sake of both parties, I would either consider moving shipment forward or pushing shipment back, to avoid having a package land at the border in the middle of a strike action. Risk evaluation is finally a personal thing, but it can be nerve wracking to have valuables sitting in a circumstance where there is no control and no sure timeline for resolution. 

Again, both sides are still talking, hopefully there is an agreement and no strike, but if your business or your collecting may be impacted by this keep your eyes on the news. Below is a link to a recent CBC report. To our beloved US brothers and sisters, consider also that US news outlets would likely be slower to report on this (being a Canadian labour dispute) and might not report until a strike was either imminent or underway, whereas Canadian news sources will probably have more immediate updates. That said, I'm sure local US news sources in border communities would be more alert to developments. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/border-strike-cbsa-1.7213674

Along with purchases, it is also important to note that CGC submissions also have to clear customs. The longer FedEx takes getting a shipment back to me the higher the chance of damage to the slabs. If there are delays of days or even weeks I suspect there will be a lot of extra slab damage. 

I have been following this and am strongly considering just putting off submissions if a strike does happen. 

Bumping this for a quick update. News outlets are reporting that a strike of the Canadian Border Services may begin as early as the end of the day today. There are a lot of "maybes" as negotiations continue and of course brinksmanship is part of negotiation. Again, while most Border Service agents are considered "essential services" and therefore cannot walk off the job, they could employ "work to rule" tactics to slow and delay the movement of people and goods across the border. 

Stay weak! :baiting: