• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

run of early marvels in nice grades on ebay!

27 posts in this topic

Now I'm not saying this is a scam because heaven knows half of the Ebay auctions are anymore but he has 11 feedback. Of his 11 feedback most of them are for selling POS modern comics. Heck he even has the "my dad's comics" line in his auctions. This just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe I'm wrong but let's just say my Spider Sense is tingeling on this one lol.

Ericc123

he sent a scan of the fantasy 15 to me

i asked for the serial number which cant clearly be seen on the scan (even with enlargement)-he first sends an emaill saying he sent the wrong serial number and then sends the supposed correct serial number

the copy in the scan looks very familiar, like on on ebay or comiclink or metropolis a few weeks ago

i remmeber the miscut and the 6/7 arrival date

the av4 9.4 also looks very similar to eides entertianments copy, same sharp structure but dull off white cover colors

things that make u go hmmmmmmm

The western penn copy sold by comiclink went about 3 months ago, funny how his dad died in 2001? But on his part, he has sold some high flying issues already and has the feedback to back them up, could be legit??

The AF15 has been auctioned recently. Who could forget that particular factory fold/cut configuration, combined with the grade being identical. I think it may have appeared in a Heritage auction. I'm not 100% sure about whether it was on Ebay or Heritage, but I know it was offered approx. 2 to 3 months ago with limited success.

I asked if I could pick up the books in person if I paid with a Cashiers Check.

He said he would prefer to do it by mail as to "have a tracking". Fishy!!!!

Also, if he is selling books from his father's collection, why did he buy books? confused.gif

And that was a great catch regarding the Western Penn copy. I saw that he sold the Sub-Mariner #1 which made me believe he was/is for real. I check Heritage Auctions and they sold a Sub-Mariner NM+ (9.6) Western Penn copy in November. Are there many duplicates of the Western Penn books?

If paid by Paypal using a credit card, what type of fraud protection would I have?

back when he sold the Sub-Mariner 1 CGC 9.8, he only had one feedback. i watched that auction very carefully cause it was a book i really wanted.

because of that, i started a thread in the Comics General section asking if you guys bid on newbie sellers.

anyways - i didn't end up bidding on the auction, and presto! he sells the book clean for about 500 less than market value. of course, in retrospect, i would've liked to have been the high bidder.

anyways - i thought i let that one get away. but these auctions... a bit too nice.

The after Easter return of Jesus himself! I was really hoping these auctions were legit - such a nice story. But as usual - looks too good to be true. I may call Eides to get the # on that Avengers 4 - I bid Rube up to $4000 on that one - I am pretty sure that is the same book.

in retrospect, i would've liked to have been the high bidder.

Well....considering that the high bidder on that book lives in the same area, he/she may be involved in the grand plan? However, the winner does have decent feedback so who knows? crazy.gif

yeah - it's so easy to set these things up.

a few weeks back there was a nice GA Batman (#6 i think, slight-P) being sold by a guy in ottawa.

his high bidder (who had decent - around 30 - feedback) was also from ottawa, and an obvious shill, or de-facto reserve bidder.

i wanted the book and would've been happy paying the final bid price, but just couldn't get myself to bid against a guy getting his friend to bid on his auction.

if the winner of the Subby is in fact in the same city, it certainly invites much more doubt on these current auctions.

Since I already emailed the guy about picking up the books in person if I won (and he said he would prefer to do it by mail), could someone else email him and ask if they can see the books.?

Just tell him a friend who lives in the area will verify the books for you. If it's not a scam he should say OK. If it is a scam then he will say that the books are certified so why do you need to see them?

Even if you don't bid on scammed auctions, it should still tick you off.

1) Somebody gets ripped off who might have spent money on your books.

2) Higher fees for Paypal and Credit Cards

3) Givesa false sale of a book (i.e. he supposedly sells a book for $1,000 when its really market value from a reputable person is $1,500)

mad.gif